Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2003, 09:53 (Ref:610259)   #1
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the track be any different?

We all know there has been more land reclaimed by extending out into the harbour, and this will, in 2004 make way for a different pit lane, with entry far earlier, and exit in a completely different place. But how much of these changes will make the track different.

Will the layout from after the Swimming Pool to Rascasse have changed at all? Maybe the walls far further from the track.

Its difficult to find any news on the changes, and until they actually drive the track, i, and we will not know.

Anybody have any info on the topic?

Tom.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:18 (Ref:610307)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its stupid, I can't find any pictures of the new layout if there is one.
Old 26 May 2003, 14:21 (Ref:610487)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, there are going to be changes: I read about htem somewhere some weeks back. I am struggling to remember exactly what they were, or exactly when they are going to be finished.

IF, and that is an IF, I remember rightly the swimming pool complex is going to be opened uparound the en try and then a tighter turn thing at the end of it (to slow them down, apparently...). Rascasse is going to be pretty dramatically changed I believe. The track is going to end up a couple of hundred metres different in length (I forget whether it is longer or shorter).

There might be other difference, but I cannot remember. It seems a shame to alter the layout of the track more, I think it is fine as it is.

Incidentally, does the whole new pitlane that is planned mean the start/finish line will have to be moved? Given that the pitlane has to pass the start/finish line. Anybody know?

Last edited by Dutton; 26 May 2003 at 14:22.
Old 26 May 2003, 14:23 (Ref:610490)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can go to www.acm.mc and see the detailed descriptions of the track changes, altough I couldn't find an updated track map... Also, you can search this forum, 1 month ago it was a thread discussing it. The map found at FIA is the previous layout, altough the length is updated
Old 26 May 2003, 14:35 (Ref:610501)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers, Red.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:15 (Ref:610589)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racasse, if you liked the old turn, is now basically ruined, as it's a straight entry into not-quite-a-hairpin. It's a straight shot from the second swimming pool chicane into Rascasse. But they're _not_ opening up the swimming pool complex, it'll still be frustratingly tight.

I wouldn't be opposed to change if it wasn't _always_ for the worse.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:22 (Ref:610601)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh comeon Lee, what's your better idea for the Piscine sector revamping? Let's get serious, when you drive on the track is the Mediterranean sea on the left hand, a swimming pool on the right - plus buildings, they've done already too much.
Old 26 May 2003, 21:11 (Ref:610840)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, now that they're got all this extra room, open up the second part of the swimming pool chicane. All they've done is tighten the damn thing.

So yes, they _have_ done too much already!
Old 26 May 2003, 21:39 (Ref:610872)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They may have done too much already but this change means the GP will be here to stay as the teams now have a proper pit rather than working in a multi storey car park!
Old 27 May 2003, 00:03 (Ref:610988)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh, the poor babies! My heart bleeds!

How about all the guys in rallying, in CART, and everywhere around the world at the club level, who work in the open, in the mud, and filth, and if they get payed at all, for a fraction of what the F1 mechanics make?

Okay, they could have done _much_ worse with the track, but as usual, they're passing off an extravegant luxury as being absolutely essential to conducting a race. Frankly, I'm insulted. But that's nothing new when it comes to the FIA/FOCA/F1 Administration.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 27 May 2003 at 00:09.
Old 27 May 2003, 16:32 (Ref:611598)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The track was gereat how it was, but there you go. Rascasse was great, since if a driver screwed up there they could lose loads of time and that was it. So near the end of the lap. It typified the challenge of Monaco. Ah, well: life goes on.
Old 27 May 2003, 17:32 (Ref:611657)   #12
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika Häkkinen: "Cars are coming much faster on the Rascasse corner now, I think there's going to be lots of wrecking on there during the weekend." freely translated from finnish by me.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 27 May 2003, 18:06 (Ref:611694)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
When was this commenty made? Is it refering to the current lay-out, or what would be the case under the new one? Some explanation would be helpful.
Old 27 May 2003, 18:26 (Ref:611708)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lee Janotta
[B]How about all the guys in rallying, in CART, and everywhere around the world at the club level, who work in the open, in the mud, and filth, and if they get payed at all, for a fraction of what the F1 mechanics make?] Not sure about the others, but in Cart, the work areas area always covered and generally in a parking lot type area and are kept fairly clean.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2003, 18:45 (Ref:611720)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay
Quote:
Not sure about the others, but in Cart, the work areas area always covered and generally in a parking lot type area and are kept fairly clean.
Remember Belle Isle, Jay? That's only changed in the last 2 seasons.
Old 27 May 2003, 19:03 (Ref:611728)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't been to Belle Isle, but I assumed they brought the same kit to each race. Most teams have a makeshift floor that they put down as something to walk on besides concrete. Even some of the Atlantic teams do that too. In some cases, it's just astroturf though..lol.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes