Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should Trulli be in F1?
Yes, he deserves to stay with Renault 36 52.17%
Yes, but with another team 21 30.43%
No, another series like the IRL 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Jun 2003, 11:38 (Ref:622768)   #1
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Trulli truly good enough for F1?

Just how good is Trulli in Formula 1? He can qualify; we have seen how he is there. But I argue that he cannot race. All too often in races, he paces himself, when raw pace is what is needed. He's very lucky to hold onto a top drive such as Renault. I propose that it should go to Franck Montagny.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 11:58 (Ref:622782)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought he was a great talent but he has disappointed me in recent years, and quite frankly while he is no worse than a few of the other drivers, I can't see him being a winner. Shame, he showed much potential early on, but hasn't shone since those days.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 12:11 (Ref:622791)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yep,agreed,he's pretty much just a journeyman driver these days who just does enough to hang on to his seat each season.
Hopefully before long they increase the F1 drivers gene pool with some new talent,the current bunch of mid feilders is getting pretty inbred.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 13:13 (Ref:622880)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, but IRL?

Why do you think you can pass off every F1 washout here in the states?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 13:20 (Ref:622888)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I always thought he was a great talent but he has disappointed me in recent years, and quite frankly while he is no worse than a few of the other drivers, I can't see him being a winner. Shame, he showed much potential early on, but hasn't shone since those days.
Precisely my thoughts - looking back on races like Ausstria 1997 and Monaco 2000, he looked like a real star. BUt he just hasn't delivered and his poor raceday drives are becoming epidemic. Button and Alonso ahve showed him up in the last 2 seasons.

I don't think he deserves a top seat anymore - the drive should've stayed with either Fisichella or Button.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 16:13 (Ref:623002)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, Trulli has flattered to deceive his whole career, qualifies well on occasion but not a true racer in the Kimi or Alonso mould. In fact, Alsonso has probably sealed his fate at Renault as they become more serious contenders.

Destined to spend the rest of his career in Sauber level car's, IMO.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 16:42 (Ref:623024)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trulli is the best driver out there.

He deserves to be in Ferrari.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 17:34 (Ref:623043)   #8
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bononi, i'm sure trulli is not the best driver out there, however i respect your opinion and surely he would do very well at ferrari (i think better than rubens).

i've known trulli in his karting-days and he was very good back then, and very succesful. but I've seen raikkonen & alonso as well in karting and these guys REALLY looked as if they came from another planet (and so did pantano and to honest button was very good as well)... there was absolutely no doubt that if one them got to F1 they were gonna be superstars from the word go... and that's exactly what happened.

trulli is not really in that league, but then again: who is?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:14 (Ref:623077)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Is Trulli truly good enough for F1?

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Just how good is Trulli in Formula 1? He can qualify; we have seen how he is there. But I argue that he cannot race. All too often in races, he paces himself, when raw pace is what is needed. He's very lucky to hold onto a top drive such as Renault. I propose that it should go to Franck Montagny.
I totally agree with this! Trulli has done NOTHING in races, yes he can qualify OK, but in races he has done nothing. How he has managed to hang onto the Renault drive is beyond me.

I am not sure he is up to the job of the IRL though, maybe sportscar racing?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:23 (Ref:623086)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Trulli is certainly better than a lot of F1 drivers, but I agree that he hasn't done much to justify his presence either at Renault or at Jordan before that. He could hang on to a mid-grid or backmarker drive, but he might be more successful in CART, the IRL or sportscars.

As for going to Ferrari? Don't make me larf.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:14 (Ref:623122)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, come on, we all know that the guy is great, all he need is a superb car like Ferrari to beat the rest !

Trulli and Fisi in the Ferraris !!!!!
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:623132)   #12
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really fast over short distances. Loses pace half way through a race. Lack of stamina or lack of commitment or concentration? Never really threatened to win a race. Rarely threatened to beat his teammate in the championship. Send him to Minardi (or cart)
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:47 (Ref:623159)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Where's Inigo to help me on that ?

I'm feeling very italian today. My italian half is dominating !
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:32 (Ref:623207)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
No, but IRL?

Why do you think you can pass off every F1 washout here in the states?
Because they tend to do rather well when they do! Even the bad ones!
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:41 (Ref:623215)   #15
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for the IRL as there wasn't a "I wouldn't stick him a FFord" option. Never had any talent. Had a trendecy for taking other drivers out. I even stopped supporting Jordan when he joined them and I had been a fan Since Eddie's days in lower formula. I think MrSal sums up my other reasons for not rating Trulli Awful. Yeah he's a good qualifier but nobody won a race during qualifying.

Steve B
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:48 (Ref:623223)   #16
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by stevebrown
I voted for the IRL as there wasn't a "I wouldn't stick him a FFord" option.
Steve B
Yehhh I too had to vote for the IRL one, but I think he isn't good enough for the IRL, shame there wasn't another option.

I am not sure about FFord though. I say the FIA sportscar championship. He may do OK there, with someone to take over during a race.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:23 (Ref:623269)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I agree - he looked initially like a very promising driver with a big future ahead of him but he's really tailed off since then and I haven't seen anything in the past 3 or 4 seasons to suggest that he's worthy of a place in a decent team. He can qualify, but all I can remember him doing is qualifying 2nd a couple of times for Jordan and then driving round holding everyone else up - he can qualify, but he's not much of a racer.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:09 (Ref:623333)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think this question should be about Coulthard, or at least does he or has he ever deserved a place in a top team. he is a consistant point scorer but thats all, i dont think he'll ever challange for the title but perhaps he does make a good second driver, even if it isn't as public as Ferrari's arangement.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:10 (Ref:623335)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Jarno's seat is another top seat wasted. Lokk at the last 4 seasons (including this one)

2000 vs HH-F at Jordan lost on points 6 - 11
2001 vs HH-F at Jordan won on points 12 - 6 (but drove double the ammount of races due to HH-F's sacking)
2002 vs Jenson at Renault lost on points 9 - 14
2003 vs Fernando at Renault currently losing on points 13 - 29
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:55 (Ref:623385)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a solid racer, but once you realise you're not in with a chance of ever winning the WDC I don't understand why they carry on - just wasting everyone's time...
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:23 (Ref:623468)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared to who he races with and his peers (Fisi-Kimi-JPM) he is off mark wy off, Alonso has been the toast of GP, and renault- Trulli doesn't have what it takes, he mentioned in F1 magazine a year or two ago that e wasn't so into it as he was his kart. He thought it would be a greater achievment to win the WKA or euro kart championship in his kart than the F1 WDC- "imagine Trulli winning in a Trulli kart!" was what he said, that is what he really wants, so he is in F1 for what? Maybe champcars/IRL-LeMans series would suit him- he really isn't so bad just outclassed, and out 'driven' (see the pun-his drive to succeed and perform well, He can not drive as quick as the others Ha ha)
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:36 (Ref:623481)   #22
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Renault fan I've always tried to look on the bright side, but sadly I have to agree....Trulli is useless. He qualifies well, then cruises around for the race distance minding his own business and never doing anything spectacular. Have any of you ever seen him really racing wheel to wheel with another driver? Whenever he tries he seems to knock himself and his rival out of the race. Why oh why did Flavv ever get rid of Fisi.......

I chose the bottom option, but he'd be ever worse in the IRL, a series that's all about RACING, something Mr Trulli aint that good at.....dump him in the FIA Sportscar Championship.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:39 (Ref:623487)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I said this in another thread - why change things just for the sake of it? Trulli and Alonso are performing very well at the moment, and are pulling Renault in the right direction. Trulli has had some excellent races, but more often than not he has his races spoiled by bad luck. He would have finished ahead of Alonso in Monaco if it wasn't for his pit stop taking 3 seconds more. Trulli's pace is right on Alonso's, so why does Trulli cop the flak, when the reasons for him not scoring points are not his fault? I think the media have a lot to answer for in current F1 politics.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 05:33 (Ref:623588)   #24
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've actually been rather impressed with Trulli's ability to charge through the field and finish mid-pack from a lousy qualifying position. He's made mistakes, yes, but overall I think he's an asset to Renault.

And as for the IRL selection up there... come on, no one deserves the punishment of turning left their whole lives. No one who races in F1 suddenly says, "Hey, I think I'll waste my career and destroy any shread of chance I had at being successful!" Trulli might do well in CART though, who knows.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 08:15 (Ref:623645)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Trulli is as bad as people want to make out. He's certainly dedicated to his career and tries hard. His pace is certainly there for all to see, but tactically he does let himself down occassionally.

What certainly hasn't helped his confidence is the fact he's been basically blown away by Alonso. That would shatter even the strongest of people, to see some young bloody upstart arrive and start beating you hands down every race!!!