Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:629763)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
New Mac delayed again!

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...12145942.shtml

Now they tell us it will be at Silverstone. Is this thing ever going to race?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 19:39 (Ref:629781)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... maybe in the Japanese GP...
Old 12 Jun 2003, 19:40 (Ref:629783)   #3
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes I wonder if this is there 04 car coming out early. I guess they are playing it really safe who knows maybe ferrari will have another bad weekend and the 02 mac will do it again. I think Mclaren know that there new car could be the best car on the grid but whats the point of having the best car when you have no reliability you just dont no maybe Mclaren will win every race from siliverstone and at the end of the season we will sit back and say now did they work that one out are what it could happen just think of Ferrari last year.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 21:33 (Ref:629967)   #4
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe McLaren just want to repeat Melbourne 1998 (lap the whole field) when the new car starts its first race
Old 12 Jun 2003, 21:40 (Ref:629985)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
So why didn't they start the car in Melbourne this year?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 22:14 (Ref:630046)   #6
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its an early 04 car the 02 car is still running well good luck to them if it works out.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 23:45 (Ref:630100)   #7
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No use in risking an fast but unreliable car when you're racing a fast and reliable one!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 23:50 (Ref:630102)   #8
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as McLaren stays ahead of Ferrari in the drivers and constructors championships, why risk bringing a new car out that may be faster, but also more unreliable? If Schumacher wins in Canada and the Nurburgring, then you'll see the new car. If Raikkonen stays ahead, no need to hurry.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 00:00 (Ref:630104)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
No use in risking an fast but unreliable car when you're racing a fast and reliable one!
Of course you are correct, but I think they need to get started on development of the car. The Ferrari already has a few races under its belt, and they are getting deeper into its development programme. The Mac will also need time to develop, and if they wait much longer, the development time will all be winter testing.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 00:21 (Ref:630112)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the old on estill beats everything on the grid, what's the rush?
Old 13 Jun 2003, 00:41 (Ref:630119)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
You think the old Mac beats everything on the grid? Except for Monaco, the new Ferrari has won, gotten pole, and had the fastest lap when its raced.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 13 Jun 2003 at 00:42.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 03:24 (Ref:630172)   #12
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is really hurting Raikkonen's championship hopes...I am quite confident that the Ferrari will easily have the upper hand this weekend and until the new McLaren comes out the Ferrari will continue to have the edge.

Unless of course as ppl said earlier McLaren are confident that their new car is going to dominate when it does come out. If this is the case then perhaps with the new points scoring system they figure they can sacrifce a few defeats to the Ferrari and as long as they still finish well Shumacher won't pull out much of a lead before they bring out the new car.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:34 (Ref:630264)   #13
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, according to same source, it's still undecided.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...13000237.shtml
Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:51 (Ref:630285)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have to reckon that , grace to the new point system and, even more important, the re-found competitiveness of Michelin tires, the Mac 02 is still on the top of the standings (drivers and makes).
Only 2003 final results will say whether this decision is right, but as far as now Ron & C can afford to be calm and gradual.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 13:22 (Ref:630524)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
My feeling is the new car is not good enough, be it on pace (some design errors maybe?) or in "usability" (again, perhaps any bad design decision? I don't know!), becuase it is indeed strange this kind of delay.

A good argument in favour of it is Kimi and Macs are leading the classification, but taking in account the need of testing it ussually involves I wonder if really Ron is doing this delay in purpose. I mean, if Monaco had been a huge success for Ferrari, and Montreal again another one, Macs can lost very valuable points without the chance of fighting with the new car.

Another point is Macs using this new car for 2004. Again I feel it is an error. That car was designed in the end of 2002, the others teams are going to design 2004 car in the end of 2003, surely it is not good to use a design one year old :-o Again I don't see RD doing it on purpose: there will be any "minor" adjustment to tech rules (alla Mosley)?, how they know what type of rubber Michelin is going to develop one year in advance? Ilmor is going to find another perfomance advance in a new engine?

Too much strange questions. I don't know what it is going to happen, of course, but my (unbased) "theory" is Mac has any kind of difficulty with the new car and the old is good enough to be better package than the new one, and they knew it from weeks or months ago.
Old 14 Jun 2003, 09:29 (Ref:631161)   #16
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Mclaren have said that the new MP4-18 is not just for this season but for around 18 months so when you look at it that way they are ahead of the game.
Old 14 Jun 2003, 13:02 (Ref:631220)   #17
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
But its main decision of design is from 2002, so it will old in 2004... And if something changes in between (another "Max" rule, tyres, engine...) they are in bad position.

I am just wondering, I like to know other ideas as well.
Old 14 Jun 2003, 20:40 (Ref:631527)   #18
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
So why didn't they start the car in Melbourne this year?

Well, I meant that they would like to lap the field in the car's first race, whether that is Melbourne, Suzuka or whatever.

Ron has a big ego. What better way to satisfy it than by lapping the field? Mansell knows a thing or two about that
Old 14 Jun 2003, 20:54 (Ref:631551)   #19
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
The F2003-ga was designed in 02 so if you look at that way they are in the same boat. Mclaren have been there and done it so many times they will be back on top so much so that ferrari will be saying "why didnt we think of that"
Old 14 Jun 2003, 23:08 (Ref:631641)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by pole2pole
The F2003-ga was designed in 02 so if you look at that way they are in the same boat. Mclaren have been there and done it so many times they will be back on top so much so that ferrari will be saying "why didnt we think of that"
We'll see
Old 15 Jun 2003, 02:46 (Ref:631742)   #21
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

By the way, it seems the "Wonder Car" F2003-GA is not so dominant as it menaced to be (and it is good news). It is a great car (possibly the best) but its pace is not too much different of the supposedly troublesome Williams, and lap gaps are not big respect the "old" Mac and the Renault.

In Montecarlo, race lap times were not particularly fast, and we will see on Sunday race in Montreal. Maybe it is particularly good in aero circuits (as Montmelo, Suzuka,...). In this point, it is also good news for Mac.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 13:52 (Ref:631942)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Schummy
By the way, it seems the "Wonder Car" F2003-GA is not so dominant as it menaced to be (and it is good news). It is a great car (possibly the best) but its pace is not too much different of the supposedly troublesome Williams, and lap gaps are not big respect the "old" Mac and the Renault.

Tyres.