Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Jun 2003, 07:26 (Ref:632614)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Brscc Cadwell Park 22nd June

The BRSCC are desperately short of marshals for this meeting so if you fancy a day out, please turn up to lend your support. BRSCC marshalling cards or orange/black overals will get you into the circuit.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 12:23 (Ref:632888)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I have just heard that next weekends meeting has been cancelled, sorry folks. Many thanks to all those who has thought about helping out!

(Peter, thanks for the PM. It was confirmed by the BRSCC)
Old 16 Jun 2003, 12:43 (Ref:632902)   #3
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any reason given?? There are a lot of meetings on everywere else guess that had something to do with it.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 12:59 (Ref:632918)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Afraid not, no reason given. Peter Harding dropped me an e-mail to tell me and then I rang the BRSCC to confirm it before posting here. I know they said during yesterdays briefing at Brands that they only had 11 marshals volunteer. Strange they should be asking this weekend if they had already taken the decision to cancel, or maybe that decision was only taken this morning?
Old 16 Jun 2003, 17:35 (Ref:633232)   #5
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for trying Stephen.

The decision to cancel was made on Sunday evening after discussion with the MSA Steward (I have the press release if anyone wants to see it) on grounds of safety. You are correct in stating that there were only 11 trackside Marshals who had volunteered (add in Pits, Paddock etc and the total came to 16) whilst we need a minimum of around 44 trackside to run the full circuit safely.

The irony is that the meeting was originally scheduled for the 15th and we had plenty of volunteers for that, then along came the change... c'est la vie! Gardening leave for me on the 22nd and back at Cadwell for 750 on 28th and 29th, so if anyone fancies a weekend of excitement....

Apologies to all who had volunteered on behalf of BRSCC N and those of us that are there regularly, sorry folks!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:27 (Ref:633280)   #6
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it had to happen at some time only pity is that it had to be one of our meetings (not that i wish it on any club)
The possiple shortage of marshals for this weekend had been highlighted in earlier forums.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:633344)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've marshalled a couple of BRSCC meets at Cadwell and they've always been really short.. We're coming up to the 750MC meeting (probably about 8 of us), so that'll double the numbers! Hopefully that meeting will run ok.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:34 (Ref:633353)   #8
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what about an apology from someone for all of the entrants, who are finding out 5 days before the meeting having, in many cases:
spent hours getting their cars ready;
paid out for entry fees;
booked accomodation;
booked a test session, that they will now be lucky to get refunded;
hired transport?
One question: why the hell does it take up to less than 1 week before a meeting to find out you're incapable of running it????????!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:49 (Ref:633376)   #9
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
DSM when would you like to know that a meeting has been cancelled? If it is much more than the notice you have been given then most meetings wouldn't run because not enough
drivers haven't put their entries in.
Yes we have known for a while that this weekend was going to be tight but when do we stop trying?
Yes i am sorry for everyone who has made an effort to attend this meeting.
The same way I was sorry we had to pull a meeting last year because of lack of entries.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:56 (Ref:633463)   #10
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DSM
And what about an apology from someone for all of the entrants, who are finding out 5 days before the meeting having, in many cases:
spent hours getting their cars ready;
paid out for entry fees;
booked accomodation;
booked a test session, that they will now be lucky to get refunded;
hired transport?
One question: why the hell does it take up to less than 1 week before a meeting to find out you're incapable of running it????????!
Better than turning up on the day and find its not running!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:633501)   #11
DSM
Veteran

I'd like to know what's happening as soon as anybody else does.It wouldn't take more than a modicum of organisation to inform the co-ordinators of the planned series that the meeting is struggling for marshals and may be cancelled.
We were informed this evening by fax.
BTW, it's interesting that dogsbody has the original date as the 15th. When was it changed? It's been in our schedule as the 22nd since January.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:32 (Ref:633531)   #12
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to marshal the meeting that was cancelled last year along with my daughter. We have not been notified that this one is not running yet just read it on here!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 06:58 (Ref:633811)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well I am glad that Ten-Tenths is doing something useful at least!

Please feel free to post plees for marshals for any future meetings, that's what we are here for, to try and help
Old 17 Jun 2003, 06:58 (Ref:633812)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sorry...bad spelling once again, should be pleas!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:07 (Ref:634012)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The events this weekend:

Lydden
Oulton
Combe*
Donnington*
Knockhill*
Pembrey*
Rockingham*
Silverstone International*
Silverstone Stowe*
Snetterton*
Cadwell
Mallory
Mondello

* 2 Day meetings

No real surprise Cadwell loses out!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:36 (Ref:634041)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
DSM, many meetings struggle for marshals, it's a sign of the time's I'm afraid. Two day meetings are particularly badly hit as you might imagine. As a regular marshal I can assure you it gives us no pleasure to learn that any meeting has been cancelled because we have been unable to get enough numbers together. As Dan has shown, there are so many meetings this weekend, it's hardly surprising that some are going to be desperately short staffed!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:42 (Ref:634051)   #17
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just got back from a small club meeting in France that lasted 24 hours, I have just read this thread. Sorry to hear about any cancellation but as far as BRSCC at Cadwell goes I have absolutley no sympathy, it kind of serves them right, let me explain. Next weekend there will be 12 of us travelling no less than 3 hours, some 5 hours to do the 750MC meeting, why, well we get treated decently, thanked and above all get involved with a well run, well supported meeting that finishes at a decent time.

Two years ago I vowed that I would never Marshal for a BRSCC meeting at Cadwell again, having messed around all day we finished at 7.15pm, with a + three hour drive home, I think that they were taking the mickey.

Yes I know what goes around comes around but the BRSCC have yet to prove to me they cut the politics out and get the job done, sorry guys. - Balders
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:21 (Ref:634117)   #18
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps its time for some more drastic action! Perhaps every competitor should be forced to do one day's worth of marshalling each season. It would help boost the marshals number and also let the drivers see how difficult it is to marshal an event.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:46 (Ref:634157)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
A splendid idea Andy. This has been suggested many times before and, as you know, you can get a signature on your licence by doing just that!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:10 (Ref:634402)   #20
jamo
Rookie

Wales
Stoke on Trent
jamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us do already - managed 18 days marshalling last season and expect to cover c20 this year and compete in the XR Challenge.

Personally think that a day (at least) should be mandatory for all competitors each year - they / we can all learn a thing or two from the experience.

Talking to guys who used to motorcross race, they had to provide a 'buddy' to marshal at each and every event else they couldn't compete !!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:58 (Ref:634802)   #21
DSM
Veteran

Stephen, it's not just the fact that it's been cancelled but the manner and timing in which it was. As for your points, this wasn't a 2 day meeting and everybody must have known this weekend was so busy, what, 5 months ago? Why not reschedule, or cancel then?
AS for the 1 day marshalling idea - no problem for me.If you can arrange it, preferably at somewhere within 2 or 3 hours of Sussex, I'll be there!
Here's another thought: what about all marshals having to stump up 300 quid, just one weekend per year to be treated like half wits??!! (Which I admit some of us are!!)
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:00 (Ref:634808)   #22
DSM
Veteran

Don't take that last one too seriously guys!! BTW how do we get to be (occasional) marshals then? At least if we do that a couple of times a year we can moan at you on here without feeling guilty!!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 21:09 (Ref:634898)   #23
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
DSM how do you mean the manner in which it was cancelled?
This meeting was rescheduled it had been planned for the weekend just gone. Who moved it I do not know, but it certainly was not the BRSCC Northern Centre.
As i stated before when do we give up trying to get marshals. If we went on marshals availabilities at the begining of the year we might as well give up now.
The same would apply to drivers putting in there entrance fees.
Do you commit to all the rounds (money up front)of your championship?
Why should youre commitment be any more than a marshals?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:02 (Ref:634951)   #24
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this problem is going to get worse and worse as there seems to be no control over what is going on between all the clubs and circuits.
After 19 years of marshalling I am now seriuosly thinking of packing it in. Nothing has changed over that time and I do not see a things happening at all. Marshals posts at some circuits are in a state, access, All the usual gripes.
I feel sorry for Cadwell having to cancel again but this is a sign of the times now.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:33 (Ref:634981)   #25
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If any drivers or marshals who were going to Cadwell would like to come to Silverstone with BARC S/E they will be more than welcome. Yes I know it is only the Stowe circuit but they are offering two races for £100 with no hidden extras! The marshals who went to Snetterton last weekend with this club certainly had a good time. See comments elsewhere about 2CV 24 hours.