Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:22 (Ref:638764)   #1
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vote NOW for Sebastein Bourdais driver of the year!!!!!!!!!!

We all need to log on to www.speedtv.com to vote for sebastein to win.
This would be great publicty for CART at a time when they need us the most!!So please vote now!!!!

Last edited by Aus.CARTfan; 21 Jun 2003 at 23:23.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:31 (Ref:638771)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:35 (Ref:638778)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just voted for Bourdais, but Dale E. Jr. and Matt Kenseth are way out front at the moment. Even Bobby LaBonte is slightly ahead of Sebastien.:confused:
Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:25 (Ref:638893)   #4
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who the hell named this rookie as the best CART driver even though I'm not a Player's fan either one of those would of been better, afterall the kid only has one real win cause we all know the officials played favorites at Eurospeedway.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 23:00 (Ref:645147)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto. I held my nose and voted for him as a representative of CWS, but they should have chosen someone else!
Old 28 Jun 2003, 09:36 (Ref:645338)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
When I cast my vote a few days ago, Sebastien had a whopping two percent of the total.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 11:43 (Ref:645386)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of people won't vote for him personally -- which makes it difficult. PT picked up a lot of votes for having a big following. Somehow I think if they had chosen Jimmy Vasser, whose best days are behind him, he would have gotten more votes just because more people like him personally.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 20:11 (Ref:645609)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt an unfortunate bias many Americans seem to hold against folks of french backgrounds over the last year. Not accusing anyone here of that but some of the venom and hatred I've seen poured out in other forums against the French becoz they disagreed with Bush is unbelievable
Old 28 Jun 2003, 22:21 (Ref:645668)   #9
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that would get in the way of Bourdais standing among the ChampCar crowd. That anti-French frenzy disappeared as soon as the war ended. I think that most Americans who would take the time to place a vote for a Champcar driver wouldn't think twice about the fact that Bourdais is from France, but rather, they would admire the breath of fresh air he has brought to the series. I'm unaware of what is on other forums in this regard, but I think we can separate politics from racing (I know I can!)
Old 29 Jun 2003, 01:54 (Ref:645755)   #10
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read a few bits on Track Forum at the time of the Indy 500. When a rumour surrounding Bourdais maybe qualifying for the 500, a few of the good ol' boys on the forum had a rant about the French
Old 29 Jun 2003, 02:13 (Ref:645765)   #11
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tanalised-
Embarrassing to me to hear about that type of thing- we're not all rednecks here in the States. Consider the source of those comments.. not really a majority of the U.S. population. Please excuse our warts.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 04:13 (Ref:645782)   #12
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is something like 5x or 6x as popular as OW in the US, and from the TV ratings 2x as popular even in Canada.

The web is more urban, and allows Canadians to vote on US websites, both of which favor CART, but I think it unlikely a new driver in CART, and not an AMerica getting press here, could be expected to do well.

Frankly I think Sam Hornish is the best driver racing in North America. Give him better equipment (than the Chevy boat anchor) and he'll beat all the guys in either CART or IRL. I think he'd even give Jeff Gordon a battle in NASCAR. He is Roger Penske's top wish list driver. And that says it all.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 04:35 (Ref:645784)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I really wish Hornish would come back to Atlantic or Cart, so that people would see what a phony he is. His Atlantic record was on par with Rodolfo Lavin on road courses with the same team. Hornish is good on ovals, and that's it.

PT was able to win that poll quite comfortably awhile ago. My guess is that it's more of "Who's your favorite?", than "Who's been driving best lately?"
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jun 2003, 10:45 (Ref:645890)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by sqw2
Frankly I think Sam Hornish is the best driver racing in North America. Give him better equipment (than the Chevy boat anchor) and he'll beat all the guys in either CART or IRL. I think he'd even give Jeff Gordon a battle in NASCAR. He is Roger Penske's top wish list driver. And that says it all.
If CART and the EARL were united, Sam Hornish would be lucky to crack (which you seem to be on, sqw2) the top 10 in the Driver(s) Championship!!!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 11:07 (Ref:645908)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Bourdais is no Montoya. He doesn't have a 'presence' -- I hesitate to say a personality as he does have one, but not one that gets him any press. He's going to have to do a lot more before casual fans will take notice of him.

Agree about Sam Hornish. Put him in a serious that's mainly road courses and he's nowhere.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 13:36 (Ref:645939)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For crying out loud, tanalised. I didn't vote for him because he's only got the one win, not because he's French. He's simply not deserving from his performance in the last quarter. Jourdain should have been representing CART in the poll this quarter.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Jun 2003 at 13:36.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:27 (Ref:646132)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here, here Lee!

Jourdain has been a cut above anyone else in the CART paddock for at least the past two months.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:43 (Ref:646154)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Jay, Liz... For shame.

Did you see the save Hornish made at Richmond? My God, that was incredible driving.

Yes, he'd probably get his butt handed to him in a primarily road racing series, but you can't deny that he's one of the best, if not the best, oval racer in the world. And that's nothing to sneeze at.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 16:54 (Ref:646221)   #19
Liz
Veteran

So he can drive in circles? But so what? You can't compare apples and Chess Pie. Otherwise we could conclude that Carlos Sainz is an infinitely better driver than TGF.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 17:06 (Ref:646233)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
He's a great OVAL driver...but that's it. I'm sure he'd be very average if he ever went road racing again. As I said before, his Atlantic record on road courses is comparable to that of Rodolfo Lavin.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 17:11 (Ref:646236)   #21
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone think Bourdais might be the savior of CART? I have seen him interview and he just has loads of personality. And not a bad looking chap to boot! Skin is looking great! I bet the gals are falling over for him around the circuits.

When is Madison avenue going to discover this little gem I wonder?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 17:23 (Ref:646248)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

You mean he isn't Liz? (Sainz I mean)

You of all people here should know that especially at a short track like Richmond, racing requires a hell of a lot more than flooring the throttle and turning left.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Jun 2003 at 17:30.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 18:20 (Ref:646288)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
You're right Lee, you have to lift a bit to avoid other cars. I know there is skill involved in oval racing, but it's completely different from road racing and the skills don't usually translate from oval to road. There's just so much to deal with on a road race that the oval drivers don't have to deal with. That said, the skills do usually go the other way, which is why Bourdais can come in and win his first oval race.

Bourdais does seem to have a lot of personality, but it means nothing if he can't get the car home at least.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 18:27 (Ref:646296)   #24
Prost!
Rookie

Prost! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Anyone think Bourdais might be the savior of CART? I have seen him interview and he just has loads of personality. And not a bad looking chap to boot! Skin is looking great! I bet the gals are falling over for him around the circuits.

When is Madison avenue going to discover this little gem I wonder?

Is the irl playpen that slow today or are you merely wearing your "i'm immature (and like crapwagons too)" sign on your forehead again? Remember, bad karma when you repetitiously engage in schadenfreude time and time again in this forum.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 18:31 (Ref:646302)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
You said it, Prost!!!

P.S. Sam Hornish is a very good, but he is not the best oval racer!

Last edited by Dov; 29 Jun 2003 at 18:33.