Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:18 (Ref:667330)   #1
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FR @ Donnington

Who is going to nick the glory from Hamilton or is he going to steam roller the FR field yet again.....!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:23 (Ref:667336)   #2
Dr Venom
Racer

This is for the race weekend (not the test)

1st Hamilton
2nd Lloyd
3rd Spencer
4th Sisley
5th Soderburg
6th Rossiter
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:30 (Ref:667341)   #3
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I'd love to say different, I can tell you it won't be my son Jamie Morrow who's out with Jensen Motorsport for his first FR competitive race!!

Seriously, we're pretty realistic about what he'll be able to achieve given FR is new to him. On the other hand should be interesting to see what he can do.

Re the winner, as we raced with Mike Spencer in ZIP last year and given 2 and 3 in his rookie season last time out was a fantastic achievement, it would be great to see him win a race. Ronnie (his old man) would be in hyper drive!!!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 19:08 (Ref:667533)   #4
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Spencer's the most likely driver to become a sixth winner of the year, but I'm not convinced anything will stop Hamilton this weekend. Last two times he's been at Donington (Euro Renault and last year's season finale), he was pretty damn quick. Crossed the line first 3 times out of 3, I believe (although once had a penalty for a jump start).
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:55 (Ref:667705)   #5
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton already has THE set-up for Donington, so I don't see anything stopping him. Unless he makes a few more mistakes, of course What about Conway??
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:54 (Ref:668136)   #6
Dr Venom
Racer

Conway has gone backwards over the last couple of race's and with his two 7th places at croft i don't see him getting out of this rut just yet.
I don't think he has gone off the boil just that the rest of the field seem to have improved around him, or getting the breaks.
Lets hope his luck changes soon and he is back at the front dicing with Hamilton, Rossiter and Co
Old 22 Jul 2003, 23:27 (Ref:668892)   #7
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Conway has got to put in a decent performance this weekend - he's already had four consecutive bad results, and he just can't afford any more if he wants to continue to chase for the title.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 22 Jul 2003 at 23:29.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:23 (Ref:668917)   #8
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Is it Conway or is it the car??

No official timing at today's test, but unofficial timing has the top 5 thus:

1. Lloyd 1:33.0
2. Spencer 1:33.2
3. Conway 1:33.2
4. Menghello 1:33.4
5. Stoddart 1:33.5

By anyone's standards, that was a great effort by Motaworld, although I have to say the above is Motaworld's timing!! I think it was pretty accurate though.

Alex's lap was on new tyres, at the very last minute. New tyres on with 6 mins to go, just as the red flags came out! Thought they'd blown it again! He got 2 laps - 1st lap = 1:33.6, 2nd lap 1:33.0 then chequered flag. Whilst he is clearly really on top of this 1-lap qualifying malarky, I do wish they'd not cut it so fine in future!!

I don't know what happened to Rossiter - he and Hamilton had good (but not new, I suspect) tyres on earlier and were both into the 1:33's. Hamilton didn't do the last session as he was apparently ill. I didn't see Sisley's final time on new tyres, but Di Resta was about 1:33.6 I think.

I think Spencer has now got the car pretty much to his liking, and he should henceforth be a feature for the rest of the year. He's got experience of speed/winning (as Russfeld rather accurately puts it), and is older than the youngsters at 21, with the confidence that goes with that heady time of life, and is a quick driver. Last meeting at Croft he showed that maturity by being quick and not doing anything stupid or rash, thus bringing home 2 well-deserved podiums and a bagfull of points!

One 40 minute session on Friday, then qualifying on Saturday morning. 2 races, Sat and Sun.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 06:38 (Ref:669060)   #9
No 4
Veteran

Mr Jinx - Any views on the Jensen drivers, who's best times were in the low 1.35's, but who did not switch to qual' fuel levels and new tyres for the final part of the last session.

Specifically any feedback you felt able to give re Jamie Morrow, who as you know was doing his first ever time in an FR car and has only previously done some 20 compeitive laps this year, would be much appreciated.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:58 (Ref:669105)   #10
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had the following

1. Lloyd 1:33.1
2. Conway 1:33.2
3. Spencer 1:33.3
4. Hamilton 1:33.3
5. Sisley 1:33.4
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:17 (Ref:669161)   #11
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Yep, that seems reasonable, allowing for finger/trigger errors, Freddie, except that I can confirm the Motaworld times that I mentioned above are correct. I didn't get Hamilton's time, thanks - he wasn't out in the final session.

I'm sorry, No 4, I didn't notice Jamie - I didn't turn up till midday - so I have no feedback to offer, sorry. Not that it would be worth much, anyway. We didn't run qualifying fuel either but just got 2 laps in on new tyres.

The only thing I would say is that it is pretty well impossible to compare lap times at Donington unless you are comparing new tyre runs. The track is sensitive to tyres, so a guy running on old rubber might find up to a second on his new tyre run, whilst a guy running on good tyres may not find that much.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:57 (Ref:669190)   #12
No 4
Veteran

Mr Jinx - all understood. Thanks any way.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 11:28 (Ref:669305)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was quite funny watching the lotus (was it a lotus?) pick off the renaults on the straight and then get swamped at redgate.

it'll be very interesting to see who can get this place sorted. there's quite a few drivers who really haven't got the hang of the old hairpin bit, i expect that to be a place of much overtaking in a race (well, 'much' for a renault race anyway).
Old 23 Jul 2003, 12:14 (Ref:669337)   #14
No 4
Veteran

Bella - yes, it was a Lotus, part of Martin Stratton's stable of cars I think!??
Old 23 Jul 2003, 16:02 (Ref:669528)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
any idea what year it was? it sounded absolutely brilliant, my ears are still ringing from being stood in the grandstand when it shouted it's way past...

it was also an interesting demonstration of how racing cars have evolved over the years, and where grip's progressed more than engine power has.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 16:54 (Ref:669593)   #16
No 4
Veteran

Bella - not top of head, but I'm meeting aguy on Friday who will know and I'll ask him. Will let you know.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:10 (Ref:669607)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the question would be easily answered if i could be arsed to go through any of mackmot's books and find out, but that'd be too easy

what was the other one out there, apart from the classic formula ford (?)?
Old 24 Jul 2003, 15:13 (Ref:670388)   #18
No 4
Veteran

I see in Autosport today that Spencer is not considered anything other than an outsider in the run in to the championship.

Given he came 2 and 3 at Croft and posted the 2nd (or 3rd depending on which dad one talks to!!)fastest lap in last Tuesday's unofficial test + (having talked to him) he's very bullish about his new engine and I think he's going to play a big part in deciding where the championship goes.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:50 (Ref:670627)   #19
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
We (Motaworld) had him as 2nd quickest at Donington. I saw the times as they came up. It's still a stop watch on one or the other driver, but whatever it was, it was a quick time.

He wasn't picked out by Brask management for no reason a few years ago. He's a quick driver. You've seen him race in Zip cars, you know he's quick. Motaworld are unquestionably a good team, so it would be strange if he wasn't up there by now.

Motaworld are also on the "up" I think, as a team. They are working very hard to improve and improve, and I think we will see them keep doing just that. I'm not referring to just Alex here, although I hope he will keep improving too, but really I mean all the drivers, the team as a whole. All 4 cars to keep moving higher up the grid, not just one or two. The first team to get a 1,2,3,4???
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:52 (Ref:670628)   #20
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
P.S. Weather report suggests rain for Donington, I'm told. So that might alter things.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 22:34 (Ref:670643)   #21
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by No 4
I see in Autosport today that Spencer is not considered anything other than an outsider in the run in to the championship.

Given he came 2 and 3 at Croft and posted the 2nd (or 3rd depending on which dad one talks to!!)fastest lap in last Tuesday's unofficial test + (having talked to him) he's very bullish about his new engine and I think he's going to play a big part in deciding where the championship goes.
You can't consider him as anything other than an outside contender for the championship, because he's too far behind the rest now. I do agree that he might play a big part in deciding where the championship goes though (and the other top five places), as he's the driver most likely to become sixth winner of the year, and could well take a lot of points off the others.

If he stays on next year, he should be a definite contender for the 2004 title.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 24 Jul 2003 at 22:35.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:07 (Ref:670839)   #22
No 4
Veteran

Paul

I do agree that he might play a big part in deciding where the championship goes though (and the other top five places), as he's the driver most likely to become sixth winner of the year, and could well take a lot of points off the others.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I agree, too far behind to win, but could play a major part in deciding where the championship will go.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:13 (Ref:670840)   #23
No 4
Veteran

Mr Jink - I was very impressed by Motaworld's obvious profesionalism. Each time the cars come in everything seemed to happen like clockwork, with every one knowing their jobs. Very slick.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 08:41 (Ref:670901)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
They are a really good team. Last year they lost focus, I think, because they got involved with F3, but this year they are back on the case properly. They always prepare a good car (Alex's mishaps over the last 4 races have all been bad luck, I think, not the team's lack of preparation) and the fact that all 4 cars are always in the top half or third of the grid must say something about the quality and strength right through the team. If they can win the Championship as well this year, so much the better of course.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 09:08 (Ref:670916)   #25
No 4
Veteran

I'm guessing rain for this mornings free practice at Donington.

Character forming for my son and heir Jamie Morrow, who has only ever driven an FR car in the rain for approx' 10 laps (at Pembrey in the Be A Grand Prix Driver comp' earlier this year)!!

Still he got to within 1.4 seconds of Mike (Spencer) in his first serious outing in an FR car (after only 40/50 track laps since last September) last Tuesday, so with luck he'll be ok!! Fingers crossed!