Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:00 (Ref:667458)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS at Sonoma This Weekend

As you know they are racing at Sears Point this weekend....

We've been talking about the small fields for Prototypes in Europe, but the ALMS numbers don't look that much better

7 LMP 900s
5 LMP 675s

I still haven't figured out why teams that have been racing on one side of the pond or the other aren't racing now....

Any thoughts on this????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:17 (Ref:667665)   #2
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the concept of the Joest Audis for yet another season scared off the R&Ss, Lolas etc
Old 22 Jul 2003, 00:14 (Ref:667787)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the tide is turning toward GTS/GT cars and some people are just waiting to see what develops. I like the big prototypes but the GTS cars really make better sense because you can race on Sunday and sell on Monday.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 01:31 (Ref:667830)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sonoma is a nice track isn't it, for sportscars anyway, it doesn't llok as green there on Tv as it is in real life.
I applaud ALMS for being a series that hits both Sonoma and Laguna Seca. similar markets but check out that at least they hit the big road courses.
I liked when ALMS tried the ELMS and PLMS sections to the series good Idea- too bad a GlobalLeMans Series or WSCC is hard on the pocket books eh
Old 22 Jul 2003, 04:50 (Ref:667925)   #5
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In regards to the race, Jon Field holds the race lap record. You think Field is better than the Dyson boys? This might get interesting.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 22 Jul 2003, 14:02 (Ref:668354)   #6
Regis
Rookie

Regis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
In regards to the race, Jon Field holds the race lap record. You think Field is better than the Dyson boys? This might get interesting.
This is very intriguing - I had forgotten that fact, due to Jon's being stuck on pit lane for laps after the start at sears last year due to an electrics problem (rain & Brit electrics? ).

He was flying once going though! Does this point to a possible huge upset of the R8s by the Lolas? I just can't see it happening, but I do tend to go with the status quo. Herbert and Lehto are just too strong, as is Team Joest. But one never knows though - as Yogi Berra was fond of saying, It ain't over, til it's over!"

Many of us had written Field's Lola off for Road Atlanta after the debacle at LM this year, plus all the attention given to the Dyson Lolas - but lookit what's happened in Atlanta!

Jon Field's Banana Joe's team deserves special recognition and kudos as they have been stalwarts in sportscar racing. Extremely exciting to watch especially in the early days of ALMS (yes it is still very young I know!), Jon deserves a most improved award of some sort, and more, including more wins!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 15:12 (Ref:668444)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last year, they raced in a Monsoon in May, but Panoz won the race...after the Audis recovered from blown tires, spins and other mishaps...

Sears Point seems to be more of a high downforce and tighter track than most...the Panoz did a great job of getting off the corners there and there aren't a lot of places to pass on the circuit..

Note: I know that the layout looks like it has a long straight that has the hairpin at one end and a VERY tight corner at the other end, but that straightaway is a long series of esses (spelling?) that doesn't seem nearly as fast in reality where the rubber meets the road as it looks on a course layout....

If there are drivers surfing this thread who would like to comment on that straight and share insights with us...ESPECIALLY if they refute my thoughts....I would appreciate it...I want to learn and I'm not a race driver....these are just my general observations from watching races on TV from there...

This kind of circuit could negate the awesome power of the Audis ( (and at least create a fairly level playing field) for the other competitors....it sure seemed to last year...even once the track did eventually dry out...

ADDED NOTE: The DBA/Zytek ran solid on a tighter course that negated the RfH Dome's power and straight-line speed at Oschersleben....Lammers commented that the course configuration favored the lighter car, and that the course negated his straight line speed advantage that he would otherwise have had over the DBA...

If Dyson can keep their MG-Lolas from breaking down, or Field can do the same, they could very well contend on this kind of track...and the lead Panoz team should be able to run well there, too, like they did last year....

I think it will be an interesting race....let's see how it pans out...

BTW....from another thread, this would be one of the courses I would definitely "Cherry Pick" with a possible Whipple supercharger application on my engine instead of a turbo, because of the layout...but that whole mess and its expalanation is on the "Superchargers" thread...I digress...

but feel free to comment on my thoughts in the first half of this "rambling state of consciousness" in this thread...

Old 22 Jul 2003, 15:36 (Ref:668477)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

true enough about Panoz haing a good hand at sonoma-
it is a track modified for NASCAR- Panoz has a 'elan' yates motor in it and the power band suit it real well here. we'll see if the JML squad did their homework or if they get any "factory" support.
ditto on the cherry picking.
and the Corvettes will do very well here as well
Is the prototype field negligible?
dyson ran excellent at Road Atlanta but faded at the end, it was an audi fight again...i can't even say who else runs a prototype as you never see any.
is this a ALMS series problem or is it coverage trouble, or are they that lack luster
Old 22 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:668484)   #9
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree the LMP675 has a real shot at this track, but it does not hold the lap record. The qual record is 1:20.8 by McNish, the race record is 1:22.863 by McNish both set in 2000. Biela ran a race lap of 1:23.0 in 2001. Field did set fastest lap in 2003, but it is far from the track (ALMS) record.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:23 (Ref:668659)   #10
Regis
Rookie

Thanks for setting us straight, Bob. your point reminds me of the fact that prior to his awesome race in the Audi in year 2000, McNish had done ample laps of the circuit in the Champion Porsche GT1. Allan lapped the complete field in 2000 - including his R8 teammates - by the end of his second stint!

He knew his way 'round the place and provided that info to co-driver Dindo Capello. I think Marco Werner has a double whammy ahead at Sears, having to both learn the circuit and deal with the copious traffic. I'd love to have him prove us all wrong though!

Lehto, having won overall in the BMW LMR in '99 and in 2001 in GT, both with Joerg Mueller, also knows his way round the twisty circuit, as does Herbert.

I would love to hear Herbert's take on his race at Sears last year, as it wasn't so much the grunt of the Panoz but Herbert's punting of a Racer's Group Porsche and subsequent cut tyre on Herbert's Audi R8 that gave the Panoz an insurmountable full-lap lead.

Johnny nearly did it though, just missing pipping Magnussen (who was on extremely worn tyres thruout his last stint) right at the finish line. Never mind Herbert's bashing the Panoz LMP07-Mugen of John Graham right at the checkers! You shoulda seen the pit crews retreat from the pit wall in full Monty Python/Holy Grail "Run Away!" mode!!!

Magnussen's very un-PC comment over the team radio on his cooling down lap was "F***!!! I never want to go thru that again!!!" as Herbert was catching him at a rate of three to eight seconds per lap! Big Mag - ya gotta love him... cigarets and all!

Weaver could have his chance to shine here - he is a megastar whose ALMS light has yet to shine its brightest we think. After runs with the Dyson R&S and then the Champion Lola with its ill-suited Porsche GT1 motor, James could very well fly away with a victory here, provided the R8s are somehow grounded... and the fragile Lola holds up.

Corvettes will need the very best tyres Goodyear can give them 0 which has been one thorn of many the Prat & Miller team has faced regarding development over the ALMS years. After Kelly Collins' fantastic performance at Road Atlanta where he flat-out passed every GTS competitor in front of him, I'd say the team has gotten the full support of Goodyear this year. This circuit, and Laguna will point to the advances Goodyear has made (or not), to be judged by the 'Vettes' performance.

The track suits the driver who knows his way around and keeps his nose clean while being super-aggressive in traffic, but of course he must have a good handling vehicle. Power is not the be-all, end-all at Sears Point.

The Panoz is not suited for Sears Point - DB and Mags were awesome to watch here and on the other twisty ALMS circuits, but I think they will be the first to tell you they had alot of luck last year to go with their extreme ability in traffic.

I would love it if Beretta and Gunnar prove me wrong though!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:30 (Ref:668666)   #11
BobN
Racer

What's going to be fun, is to watch Brabham and Mags have to deal with LMPs. The shoe is now on the other foot and it should prove interesting to see how they deal with traffic.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:35 (Ref:668673)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I noted the Audi spins, flats, etc., earlier....but the Panoz seemed to run just fine at Washigton D.C, too...a similar type of circuit that negated Audi's straight-line power and speed...

When they brought the old Panoz Chassis back, they redid the front tray to give it more grip....ended up being pretty decent on the higher downforce tracks...at least better than they had been before...

But the torque of that Elan engine did help them get out of the corners well....at least they were more competitive with the Audis on those types of circuits...

Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:36 (Ref:668674)   #13
Regis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by BobN
What's going to be fun, is to watch Brabham and Mags have to deal with LMPs. The shoe is now on the other foot and it should prove interesting to see how they deal with traffic.

as well as the heat and confines of a closed car - though DB did experience the Bentley at very hot Sebring this year...

we shall see how well Jan uses his mirrors! the two pilots will acquit themselves well, I bet.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:51 (Ref:668697)   #14
Regis
Rookie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
[B]I noted the Audi spins, flats, etc., earlier....but the Panoz seemed to run just fine at Washigton D.C, too...a similar type of circuit that negated Audi's straight-line power and speed..

Sears and DC are very different. SP is extremely bumpy, making it ill-suited for the Panoz, whose front engine layout allows for too much flex, not enough torsional stiffness. Bumps have always held the Panoz off the front-running pace at Sebring as well.

DC is (was) as smooth as a baby's bottom, very well suited for the Panoz, and extremely grippy. All the drivers raved about DC's grip. the deciding factor was Brabham made a super call during the last yellow to put Jan back in the car, on fresh tyres... the clean tyres enabled Jan to pass TK (who was on dirty tyres) before TK's tyres came up to snuff. Plus, Jan passed TK in an amazing move where few would dare - and TK (Tom says afterward) let him past. Done -race over!

What was TK's comment over the PA system on the podium? something like "I saw Jan in my mirrors and his balls were bigger than his eyes!" ''

Sears is/has been repaved - I hope it helps the JML team.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:57 (Ref:668716)   #15
Regis
Rookie

note also that the front aero package of the Panoz is hampered by the front engine layout as compared to that of the Audi. The Audi has bad understeer on the slower corners, hence all the dive planes attached to the nose at places like Sears. but in the medium to high speed turns like SP's esses, the Audi excels.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:00 (Ref:668725)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
mags drove the wheels off that car at DC!!!! It was one of the best races to watch all of last season....and that pass would be among the "Best Pass of the Year...."

Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:668783)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

what does Sportscars and ALMS offer over other series (F1,CART) that there is F loads of passing, regardless of speed differential of different classes, the dyson, Audi scrap at R.Atalanta, and the panoz move in DC and the Vettes in atlanta...so on and so forth-youthink this would be an embraced form of the sport over all others, evry race has a good story and action sequence
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:54 (Ref:668787)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would agree, depending on the circuit....Sonoma doesn't seem to offer as many passing opportunities as other courses, but for this form of racing, it does provide some opportunities due to factors that you list above....

Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:57 (Ref:668789)   #19
BobN
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Regis
Quote:
Sears is/has been repaved - I hope it helps the JML team.
Not yet. It is due to be done in August. Still the same lovely surface. Cars that like to hop will not be disappointed. I picked the Dyson 16 on the IMSA SFL, but the Audi really should still be able to take advantage of how smooth it rides.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 22:03 (Ref:668841)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

naturally the usual suspects will be upfront.
Panoz and Vettes, Porsche (lm/GTS/GT) respectively
I wonder what that travestie of a car with the 'lincoln' engine hopes to accomplish- the have the motor but they never seem to be up there-what gives? infact ican recognize a car if i see it at ALMS races, but i couldn't tell you anyone beside Champion, Joest, and Panoz, Dyson who is in LMP- Where is Knighthawk? and the Amerisuites (Lewis' lmp car)
Old 22 Jul 2003, 22:39 (Ref:668863)   #21
BobN
Racer

Knighthawk sold their car to Dyson and the Amerisuites (Lewis's) car is the Lincoln you mention. In LMP900 there is, for this race at least, Joest (Infineon), Champion, Intersport (older Lola B2K/10), Lista/Doran Dallara and Panoz. LMP675 has the 2 Dyson, Intersport MG, Bucknum Pilbeam and Essex Lola B2k/40
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:33 (Ref:669081)   #22
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...BobN, the event page says the record race lap is held by Field and qualifying for Kristenson. Not doubting you though, McNish and the R8 are a formidable combo.

Someone earlier said that Sears Point is modified for NASCAR purposes, or something to that effect, but actually NASCAR runs a differant circuit layout. Maybe I misunderstood.

Tim, that pass did get "Pass of the Year" honors, I believe by americanlemans.com.

Good post gt, I still remember Leitzinger's pass on the Caddy at Mosport '01.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 23 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:669406)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
FYI:

Members of the AmeriSuites team gave us info about the Lincoln engine an a thread titled "Lincoln Engine -- The Problem?" and they talked about how they are getting used to the R&S chassis (since a lot of their racing has been Trans Am) its downforce, etc., and adjusting to siut their styles before tackling the power issue with the engine...the Lozano Bros. built the powerplant, and there has been an issue with tweaking the engine with this year's restrictors....they are a little behind the curve in that dept.....

Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:19 (Ref:669442)   #24
gttouring
Veteran

Yes TimNOrthcutt, I do remeber the post, my issue was concerning Amerisuites team and whether they even have a chance. They rarelt are seen on the radar, I saw them in atlanta becasue of the off, the team is quite lackluster for an lm900 in fact lack luster for any team, They would do much better in GA if LM900 were allowed there, The Pilbeam with that ElvenFace brownie sponsor at least catches your eye for being so crazy looking, and they do mix it up a bit more...Is this because Lewis' entry to ALMS is new? was that car in GA before
Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:57 (Ref:669468)   #25
BobN
Racer

Chevyguy, I believe IMSA has run the bottleneck from at least 2001 (maybe 2000)though I could be wrong (the bottleneck has been around for several years). Virtually all the class times were "off" from the previous 2 years. I know the BMW GTR ran 1:33 and the Saleen ran 1:30 in 2001. The times were also effected by weather and the pace of the race. In qualifying the Audi ran 1:22 vs. 1:25 for the MG. I expect that the Dyson car will come very close to the Audis, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Field's time vs. the Audi from last year.

Last edited by BobN; 23 Jul 2003 at 14:59.