Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:23 (Ref:668028)   #1
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Jones and his BA

So what did you all think Brad's comments on the telecast last Sunday. He claimed to be having alot of trouble dialling in the rear end of the BA and said he had an easier time setting up the AU. Is this the reason SBR are the only team with a Ford able to do the business consistently ? Have they managed to solve that one already or is Brad just saving face ? This is the first I've heard of a specific problem with the BA.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:54 (Ref:668050)   #2
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he said his AU was quicker than his BA atm and I do recall JB saying the BA was more pitch sensitive.

When you watch some of the BA's get on the brakes/accelerate etc, there is a fair amount of lift on the front but obviously whatever the problem is with BJ's car it is solvable and must be related specifically to his car as JB doesn't suffer as badly. Possibly saving face I think
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:57 (Ref:668104)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pitch sensitivity is bad in the BA... its a fundamental design feature of the huhe bulldozer-like front splitter...

SBR's cars sit a lot better on the road than most, the ride heights seem more constant, and with Marcos being somehow smoother on the braking (yet I am sure still just as forceful as Rusty in this area) the SBR cars dont lose front aero under brakes like the white Ozemail thing does, and the 3 FPR cars....

Brad still has his 2002 AU, so if he wanted to be a clever d!ck he could always swap back to it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Jul 2003, 21:27 (Ref:668817)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he can't swap back now can he, once the season has started?

Agreed, the SBR BAs do sit better and seem more "pushed down" at the front particularly under acceleration from slow corners, ie turn 3 Qld Raceway. Regarding the braking stability, I would have thought that the mechanical grip played more a part in that ratherthan aero grip. Aero would provide benefit when transferring from brake tothrottle application across the apex in that crucial transition from braking to acceleration. That would be the time gain.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:22 (Ref:668916)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt think there was a problem in swapping from a BA back to an AU in a force majeure situation, and being a TEGA board member may have smoothed this a little..

What happens in the front aero on the cars is that the air goes both over and under the wing creating downforce. The higher the ride height, the more air that gets under the splitter and the more effectively it works

But when the car decelerates, and the nose dives with spring and damper compression under threshold braking, the nose of the car, and therefore the spoiler reduces the front ride height, meaning that the previous aero downforce is substantially reduced.

This induces understeer into the car purely from the loss of aero downforce in the front.....

Especially when cars lik eteh FPR trio and the DJR mob are dragging their noses on teh ground at most of the hard stops...
Old 23 Jul 2003, 03:49 (Ref:669005)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
no the rules state once you run a BA or VY you are not allowed to swap back except in the cases of a write off or something like that , and i dont think brad is gonna throw that much money out the window just to run the AU.

who knows what the drama is but SBR certainly have solved the problem so its not impossible , im sure in time or by next season most BA drivers will have a handle on their cars.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 04:43 (Ref:669020)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who determines if the car is a write-off? Consider that insurance companies can write-off a road car if the front plastic bumber has been scratched these days
Old 23 Jul 2003, 04:45 (Ref:669021)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Brad Jones should go play in PROCAR, if the driver cant set the car up properly over there, and is therefore slow, a bit of a whinge at the management of that series will soon see a favourable parity adjustment towards then :biggrin:
Old 24 Jul 2003, 02:10 (Ref:669933)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Especially when cars lik eteh FPR trio and the DJR mob are dragging their noses on teh ground at most of the hard stops...

Ingall's BA had the undertray touching the road more than Ambrose's on the heavy stops. Just something I noticed over the weekend.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 02:22 (Ref:669936)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You would be right in that... hence the slight speed difference between the two.... Rusty hasnt adjusted his driving style to match the SBR-way just yet
Old 24 Jul 2003, 03:22 (Ref:669951)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the closer the splitter is to the ground, the more downforce that is generated (but due to reduced airflow under the car). This is at odds with the wing theory that is (correctly I think) described above, because a front splitter is not really a wing.

I have noticed that the SBR BA's do seem to pitch under accell and braking quite a lot - which the HRT cars have also done for years, and it doesn't seemed to have affected them too much.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 03:46 (Ref:669963)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

It was widely-known that Skaife preferred the rear springs to be softer than Jim Richrads did when they were at GMS with he VP/VR Commodores. I must admit that this pitch sensitivity does not seem as marked on the VY- the double A arm front end would affec that, no doubt. The VP model especially squatted at the back out of slow corners. IIRC, TC speculation was rife at that time levelled at many in the class, subsequenly proven to be scurrillous rumours.

Last edited by Mattracer; 24 Jul 2003 at 03:48.

Old 24 Jul 2003, 03:48 (Ref:669964)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The bulldozer front lip causes most of the BA's aero issues.... some teams know what they are doing, others buy boats
Old 24 Jul 2003, 03:50 (Ref:669966)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

While we're on aero, why does the Holden and Ford still have different rear wing designs, when it is plain to see that the rear quarter panels and bootlids on both current new models are much flatter and squarer? :confused:

Centrally-mounted for Holden and end-mounted for Ford, that is.

Last edited by Mattracer; 24 Jul 2003 at 03:53.

Old 24 Jul 2003, 04:00 (Ref:669970)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its got something to do with the air coming off the roof & rear window.... the designs on the 2 cars are different, so the wing frame shape was seen as important for some reason
Old 24 Jul 2003, 04:26 (Ref:669974)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

Which of the two designs (centre or side) is the better? History shows that Holden has been more adept at power down and Ford has been struggling with the AU rear grip. Mechanical grip-wise, Holden has been ahead as well but add the a arm and the Ford is edging ahead.

So, you've got a VX that is balanced at both ends but still leads the pointscore somewhat controversially because of the maths, an AU that had good high speed aero but a wrongly-executed front splitter with a more efficient front suspension and hamstrung by its aero, a VY which hasn't seen the full light of day with the biggest team yet and two BAs running away whenever they can and hiding.

So, when shall we see a parity review added to that mix?

Old 24 Jul 2003, 05:53 (Ref:670003)   #17
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt, since the AU the Falcon has had superior rear downforce so you could say its endplate design is better, but in reality I suspect its simply in the design of the wing itself.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 07:17 (Ref:670037)   #18
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its got something to do with the air coming off the roof & rear window.... the designs on the 2 cars are different, so the wing frame shape was seen as important for some reason
It is more likely that TEGA wanted to make the cars appear different so pushed Ford to stay as is and keep the end plates.The pair were trimmed to match so all is fair in reality.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 07:25 (Ref:670040)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Arguably the Holden version is more crash-safe.... the Fordy boys seem to clip things with the tail and collapse one side of the end plates....

Interestingly, before one of the teams went out for the race, they literally jumped up and down on the front splitter, and held themselves up by their bodyweight by grabbing the rear wing.....
Old 24 Jul 2003, 08:13 (Ref:670069)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

What? ANd AVESCO didn;t penalise them for strengthening these areas?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:28 (Ref:670799)   #21
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Arguably the Holden version is more crash-safe.... the Fordy boys seem to clip things with the tail and collapse one side of the end plates....

Interestingly, before one of the teams went out for the race, they literally jumped up and down on the front splitter, and held themselves up by their bodyweight by grabbing the rear wing.....
What? An official did this? I'd get out of the car and snot the @#$%.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:31 (Ref:670801)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
No, 2 team members did it.... not tiny little pipsqueaks either.....

Their cars did VERY well in the race so maybe its just something new and innovative the other teams should try
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:25 (Ref:670844)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Or was part of the drinking ritual left over from the night before!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 01:07 (Ref:671578)   #24
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
No, 2 team members did it.... not tiny little pipsqueaks either.....

Their cars did VERY well in the race so maybe its just something new and innovative the other teams should try

Who, Brett "Crusher" Murray and Russell with contra portfolio under his arm?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 03:41 (Ref:671635)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Not even Rusty can lift that