Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jul 2003, 05:29 (Ref:669034)   #1
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington DTM

No one has put anything up yet so I thought Id find out whos going to be there???
Old 23 Jul 2003, 06:00 (Ref:669043)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume if Stephen Green is there he'll now have his own possee
Old 23 Jul 2003, 06:18 (Ref:669050)   #3
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry brickkicker I know of 3 that will be there Friday which should be enough cover the circuit for practice if BARC use the same systam as they did for the 2CV race at Snetterton!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:04 (Ref:669072)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'll not be there so it's safe to go now
Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:03 (Ref:669112)   #5
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr and Mrs Manicmarshal wish to accept your kind invitiation...

oh sorry, getting a bit carried away. We are going to be there Steve, arriving Friday hopefuly before the campsite closes this year!! I know Ken Watts and his posse should also be there.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:51 (Ref:669142)   #6
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't make the Friday, but planning to be there Saturday and Sunday (assuming I can get a new tyre for the trailer before then.)
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:26 (Ref:669621)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm there all three days (KED unit). Should have caravan if towcar's back (don't ask) so if you're staying over bring your beer to the awning.

Mrs Woolley will be about as well (not marshalling) and I know Pike will be spectating on Sunday only.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:46 (Ref:669637)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Should have caravan if towcar's back (don't ask)
I'm asking, I'm asking ! :confused: :confused:

or...........

do I know???
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:49 (Ref:669642)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm there all three days (KED unit).
KED unit ????? :confused:

Keep Eating Doughnuts???
Old 23 Jul 2003, 19:09 (Ref:669690)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
KED unit ????? :confused:

Keep Eating Doughnuts???

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, provided I shake this cold off
Old 23 Jul 2003, 20:47 (Ref:669768)   #11
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
three tents booked in on friday steve ill bring some danish beer ok
Old 24 Jul 2003, 05:48 (Ref:670002)   #12
brickkicker
Veteran

Quote:
ill bring some danish beer ok
My head is hurting already.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 09:43 (Ref:670117)   #13
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, provided I shake this cold off
It must be a computer virus then because I am trying to shake off this cold before going for all three days....
Old 24 Jul 2003, 12:00 (Ref:670192)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Change of plan - towcar not coming back until Monday, so I'm driving up all three days, unless anyone is passing through Wolverhampton with an unused towbar...?
Old 24 Jul 2003, 13:08 (Ref:670278)   #15
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there Sunday, as a speccy. Didnt fancy the early start then I got offered a pair of tickets for one of the hospitality units at Goddards. So I will keep an eye out for you guys and gals, might even bring some refreshments down to post for you.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 18:01 (Ref:670497)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Wahaaay! There are some wonderful people in this wolrd, and we're lucky enough to have some of them amongst our friends. I've found a towbar. A good friend is going to pick us up, tow us to Donington and come home, and then fetch us back on Sunday, for the measly reward of dinner tonight and the cost of his petrol. What a pal! See ya there.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 19:20 (Ref:672620)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
...and he won't even take money for petrol!

Now another message of thanks. After the meeting on Saturday, Mercedes issued an invite to all marshals to their hopitality unit. There was unlimited free beer and soft drinks. Hot dogs (choice of) and a message of thanks from Norgert Haug himself followed by an interview with Gary Paffett and Christian Albers (Championship leader). After that Norbert Haug came back on stage and announced that there was a Mercedes/DTM weatherproof jacket each. The applause was deafening.

So it can be done, and the goodwill was tangible. Extra good PR was then gained because the commentators announced a vote of thanks from the Marshals to Mercedes for their hospitality and generosity. Well done, folks, and thank you, much appreciated.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 19:28 (Ref:672625)   #18
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[BNow another message of thanks. After the meeting on Saturday, Mercedes issued an invite to all marshals to their hopitality unit. There was unlimited free beer and soft drinks. Hot dogs (choice of) and a message of thanks from Norgert Haug himself followed by an interview with Gary Paffett and Christian Albers (Championship leader). After that Norbert Haug came back on stage and announced that there was a Mercedes/DTM weatherproof jacket each. The applause was deafening.
[/B]
As they say in Australia.... You tinny

Old 27 Jul 2003, 19:51 (Ref:672631)   #19
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As a first post I have to add my thanks to Norbert and Mercedes for the free and the coats.

If one can do it so can the others maybe the BTCC or am I dreaming............

P.S.
I have been told those coats were selling for £25

Cheers

Last edited by Malc's; 27 Jul 2003 at 19:54.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 19:59 (Ref:672635)   #20
brickkicker
Veteran

Great weekend topped of by the hospitality from Mercedes. Beer was great food even better and the coat was the icing on the cake.
Would also like to thank Norbert and all the others from mercedes who put this on for us.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 07:06 (Ref:672974)   #21
cameratart
Rookie

cameratart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now another message of thanks.

And another one. We had an earlier than planned finish on the Sunday - actually finishing BEFORE the last race was due to start according to the timetable.

A pity that other organisers can't get their heads around the fact that the way to get marshals to race meetings is to keep them happy!!!!!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 07:58 (Ref:673021)   #22
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thanks to Mercedes.

As Norbert said without Marshals their would be no racing. But I am not in it for the freeby's but they help.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 12:59 (Ref:673254)   #23
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a really good weekend, sensible timetable, generous hospitality and the racing was pretty good too.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 14:14 (Ref:673342)   #24
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What a really good weekend, sensible timetable
I guess you didn't go on Friday then...

On post 08:30
10 minutes between sessions
No scheduled breaks
Last session due to finish at 16:55
With such a tight schedule it was of course running late

Just before the last session we were informed that there would be 'taxi rides' after the last sceduled session and we where all required to remain on post...

This provoked me to do something I have never done before in 30+ years of marshalling - which was to walk off post after the last scheduled session - having stood out in the rain for over 8.5 hours I wasn't prepared to do any more.

I was not the only one p****d off - I believe several other marshals said they would not be coming back the next day as a result - I am not sure if any carried out the threat but I heard rumours that some didn't come back.

Why did it require a fully manned track for 'taxi rides'?

It appears from inside sources that the DTM organisers only asked for the track to be manned ( ie one volunteer per post as we did last year) but someone in the organising club decide that it wasn't fair for one person to do it so we all had to stay - I think that someone needs to go on a 'man management' course.

At least wiser heads prevailed on Saturday for the 'taxi rides' and we didn't all have to stay behind like naughty boys (and girls).

On a brighter note - thanks to the vistors for the hospitality on Satuday evening and for the nice shiny jackets - just think - a new entry for the drivers 'big book of excuses' - "I missed the yellow flag because I was dazzled by the marshals jackets"

Further inside information - a BARC official was heard to say aftrr we funished at about 16:30 on Sunday - "I bet no-one on 'that bloody web site' praises us for finishing early"

So here goes - "Well Done BARC" - but then it must be almost impossible to run late when you have all day to run just 5 races
Old 28 Jul 2003, 15:11 (Ref:673389)   #25
brickkicker
Veteran

Quote:
I guess you didn't go on Friday then...
No I fell for that one last year, and after that I swore that id never marshal for another 3 day meeting.

Quote:
Further inside information - a BARC official was heard to say aftrr we funished at about 16:30 on Sunday - "I bet no-one on 'that bloody web site' praises us for finishing early"
Nice to know they come in and have a look. Maybe one day they will act on some of the things that are said in here.