Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:25 (Ref:680311)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panasonic Toyota - Statement regarding 2004 driver line-up

Tuesday 05 August 2003

Toyota has today confirmed that both of its race drivers - Olivier Panis and Cristiano da Matta - will participate in the 2004 FIA Formula 1 World Championship as race drivers for the Panasonic Toyota Racing F1 team.

"I am pleased to reconfirm that both Olivier and Cristiano will drive with Panasonic Toyota Racing for the 2004 season," commented Team Principal Ove Andersson. "They have both performed very well throughout this season _ and have played an integral role in developing the TF103 race car. We look forward to continuing our work with both Olivier and Cristiano as one team to try to aim for a higher position in the constructors' standings in the remaining races of this season and to build upon our highly commendable performance in 2004."
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:30 (Ref:680312)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After last years double sacking, it's good to see Toyota make a good decision for once.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:30 (Ref:680313)   #3
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a few more civilized - and sensible - announcements like this one, we will be able to give up the silly season.

Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:54 (Ref:680324)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all clicking into place for Toyota - super consistent just recently and both drivers seem to be working well and to be well matched. CDM is doing very well to match Panis, or near enough, because I think Panis is well under-rated.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:04 (Ref:680331)   #5
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FANTASTIC! Glad Toyota have seen sense and kept a very good line-up. They've been doing well now that they've got on top of the reliability issues... another excellent double-points finish at the weekend.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:08 (Ref:680332)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uh huh, just like Jaguar kept telling us Pizzaboy was safe till the end of the season, and whoompa! out the door....
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:11 (Ref:680334)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He just made too many non-deliveries, that was his problem though
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:34 (Ref:680347)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they've made the right decision. Panis' development skills are near-legendary,a dn he's still got a bit of race pace, while Da Matta has done superbly considerign that he knows virtually none of this eyar's tracks and doesn't even get thte Friday testing
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:38 (Ref:680350)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally Toyota has made a commonsense decision, thinking like this will start delivering them great results.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:38 (Ref:680351)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The only problem with this sensible announcement is that it screws up all of the: "DC to wherever" threads!

Seriously - glad to see that both Panis and CDM will be staying and rewarded for their work this year.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:48 (Ref:680357)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC to Toyota test job. Problem solved!
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:56 (Ref:680366)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Glen! I knew I could rely on you folks to keep the passion for moving DC alive!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 5 Aug 2003 at 10:57.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 10:57 (Ref:680369)   #13
jmb83
Rookie

jmb83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its great news to see Toyota sticking with Da Matta, he's hot stuff, when he gets the chance and car to prove it cheers guys all the best
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:07 (Ref:680375)   #14
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota needs a chassis that can make their engines and drivers move up the grid. Who is available or willing to join them in the design department?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:10 (Ref:680377)   #15
Glen
Veteran

I think the progress of their development could hardly be better - this is a very tough and competitive game, and to be scoring regular points is a major success. There is not a lot wrong with the Toyota chassis - I can't see how they could possibly be doing better than Renault, so beating Jaguar and (probably) BAR is as good as it could get this year. Next year they should be looking to consolidate that position and possibly give Renault some worries - any ideas of challenging the big three with another three years are a bit fanciful.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:11 (Ref:680378)   #16
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC to his own Toyota Avensis...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:33 (Ref:680397)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Panis and Cris have driven well all season and they have been justifiably rewarded with contract extensions. Panis is known as a good development and test driver, while next year Cris should be even quicker after a years learning.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:19 (Ref:680433)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Panasonic Toyota - Statement regarding 2004 driver line-up

Quote:
From Ove Andersson:
"They have both performed very well throughout this season _ and have played an integral role in developing the TF103 race car..."
Shouldn't that credit go to Luca Badoer and Felipe Massa?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:58 (Ref:680463)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
After last years double sacking, it's good to see Toyota make a good decision for once.
I thought last year decision was a good one, if a little harsh.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:09 (Ref:680471)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looked like a cop out at the time - putting the blame for poor performance on the heads of the drivers alone.

A season later, it looks much better - they obviously worked on alot of other areas too, and Panis & Da Matta have proved their worth.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:21 (Ref:680486)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news ! I bet Toyota will come stronger next year.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:11 (Ref:680519)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sensible decision? From an F1 manufacturer? Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing, I'm just in shock...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Aug 2003, 16:26 (Ref:680614)   #23
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota didn't really have any choice. To change a driver again would have been to admit that the decision to sack both drivers last season was incompetent.
I think the Panis/DaMatta duo is stronger than the Salo/McNish combination.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 16:33 (Ref:680618)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Salo/McNish was going no-where - they were right to be strong and go for something better. There's more to it than absolute potential on one lap, or one weekend - good drivers are consistently good, and they carry on getting better through the season - like we're seeing now.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 17:06 (Ref:680634)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with that Glen. A lot of people say it is for Toyota to save face, but I feel in reality it was just so they could get two better (in their opinion - and mine!) drivers.

I was suprised they got rid of Salo, but not McNish (he was never there in a race seat for more than a year). Panis was a great choice and bringing in Da Matta then seems prudent.