Old 14 Aug 2003, 13:35 (Ref:688148)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you do if CART dies?

Fellows,

For the sake of the argument, let’s assume that all efforts to keep CART afloat (and more than that, to prosper) fail and our nightmare comes true – it dies.

As a racing fan, what would you do? I mean, I am not wondering about writing protest letters, having a toast at your favorite pub in honor of CART champions or boycotting any Tony George initiative. All of these are plainly justifiable acts, but my question is rather...

...How would you conceive motorsports without CART? Would your passion for the sport be the same? Would another category replace it in your heart – even if partially only? If so, which one?

Imagine yourself in 2004. CART has succumbed. What would your life, as a racing fan, be?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:02 (Ref:688168)   #2
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched races all my life. I've watched sprinters, midgets, dragsters, all kinds of road-racing vehicles, IRL, CART, F1, motorcycles, supermodifieds, Silver Crown cars, SCCA divisions, IMSA, etc., etc. If CART isn't there, I'll watch something else.

David Phillips has an interesting piece on it on speedtv.com:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/7650
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:04 (Ref:688171)   #3
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will probably play some golf, too......
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:04 (Ref:688172)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Myself, I've never really watched alot of motorsport outside of CART, (save a few years of F1). I guess I'd look to the ALMS to fill the void. And I'd start watching F1 again.

Would my passion for the sport remain the same. Sadly, no.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:16 (Ref:688184)   #5
indycool
Veteran

Macdaddy, are the supermodifieds still runnin' up your way at Delaware? A long time ago, I used to love 'em there.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:54 (Ref:688209)   #6
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what died?

Just kiddin, it holds no interest for me, but any popular formula dying is sad. I'd welcome you all to the world of F1 and encourage you to go and watch some club racing.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:08 (Ref:688222)   #7
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be watching rally racing and F1. I did a bit of rallying when I was younger and enjoy watching it on tv. Sportsnet carries some interesting motorsports so I would probably watch just about whatever they choose to show. (no NASCAR or IRL)

Cheers
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:688233)   #8
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would p**s me right off. CART is the greatest championship in my eyes and as I'm trying to get into the Barber Dodge Pro Series (the feeder championship to CART) that will really nadge up my career aspirations.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:23 (Ref:688234)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup I would watch alms and FIA GT where I could, when Trnas-AM and V8Supercars aren't on
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:54 (Ref:688262)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go back to watching sports cars full time (I'm a big ALMS fan and would seek out other forms of sports car racing) and what rally coverage we can get here -- and once TGF retires for good, I will go back to watching F1.

However, CART is not going to die.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:00 (Ref:688274)   #11
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets not talk this way. It is stressing me out! And the one thing right now I DO NOT need is more stress!!!!!!!!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:00 (Ref:688275)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Cart won't die....but for teh sake of argument. I'd follow Sports cars a lot more closesly and the lower levels like Fran-Am, which wouldn't be effected so much by the Cart-IRL thing... Also, the new Fran-Am V-6 series will become the highest level of open-wheel road racing series in North America - so hopefully that comes along.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:07 (Ref:688282)   #13
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd reluctantly start watching F1 again. As boring as it is compared to CART...I will NEVER have an IRL race on my television. I'd keep on watching the Speed World Challange also.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:19 (Ref:688296)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I normally watch anything, but if CART died, we all would be watching something more similar to motorbusiness rather than motorsport. CART is still something from the past, passing, etc.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:34 (Ref:688315)   #15
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a CART fan and I don't want to lose it. I watch alot of F1 now and will continue to and I will probably (hate to say it) will watch the IRL. I enjoy open wheel racing and believe that as time goes by if CART is gone the IRL will be a series with many of the driver I like to watch.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:37 (Ref:688367)   #16
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be "crapwagons" and taxicabs for me. I'd also spend more time with my beloved barman.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:40 (Ref:688415)   #17
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie v8's and WRC rally, coz I can actually attend rounds of each down here
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:57 (Ref:688434)   #18
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no other series I would devote more time to following, unless Premier One finally gets started and has a good TV package. I already follow every series I'm interested in, so CART folding would obviously leave an irreplaceable hole.

I guess I'd come on the net and moan about it...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 19:24 (Ref:688467)   #19
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd die with it.... well, a part of me would die with it anyway. My passion for racing would definitely fade considerably, but I've been following F1 for a couple years, especially this year, so I'd probably continue to watch. It just kind of sucks that all the races take place at 5:30am on Sunday morning out here... If I had SPEED, I'd watch ALMS and sportscars, but I don't, and it's basically impossible to hold my interest in a racing series I can't even see, either on TV or live.

In the unlikely but possible event that the IRL adds road and/or street races, I'd watch those events, and maybe eventually follow the series, but a lot would have to change. I might even watch the NASCAR road races. After seeing the last half of Watkins Glen, I realised how much a difference running a series on road courses as opposed to ovals makes for me.

But I'd never forget CART. It will always live on, as far as I'm concerned...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:26 (Ref:688557)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd watch what I watch already...just about anyhting fast on four wheels (open or fendered) that races and races hard with good on-track competition...

But I sure would miss CART...

Now, if I were a race team, I'd go to ALMS and get into the prototypes....

My second choice would be IRL (provided I wasn't one of the drivers or owners who has burned every bridge possible to go that direction)...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:50 (Ref:688574)   #21
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny enough I'd watch more NASCAR, continue watching V8Supercars, of course F1 and if they ever broadcast ALMS over here I'd check that out too.

I've tried watching and getting into IRL but the recent race at Michigan summed it up for me. In the old days coming off turn 2 cars would need the track space and go out to near the wall, this years race they just all hugged the middle to inside of the track, didn't do it at all for me. It was the same for CART in Germany this year. Yep close race for sure but for me it just all seems a little fake that kind of racing.

So while the IRL is a logical replacement, after everything that has happened and the fact I'm just not into that restrictor plate kinda racing for openwheelers and that they are only having 2 or 3 roadcources, I probably wouldn't follow the that series. Also considering CART has a local event for me and I believe the IRL never will.

So if CART dies, my following of North American openwheel dies with it.

Last edited by The Snout; 14 Aug 2003 at 21:52.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 23:52 (Ref:688660)   #22
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would probably become the biggest v8supercar fan in the u.s
Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:39 (Ref:688686)   #23
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have followed Toyota Atlantic, ALMS, and F1 for the a little while now. I would follow those more closely than I do now. I'm interested to see my first Fran-Am race at Denver this year. I don't know much about it, but I've heard some possitive things. If CART dies I would be worried about the health of the Toyota Atlantic series. I have faith that my favorite series will survive and grow.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 03:09 (Ref:688693)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Let's see: there is an awful lot of Club racing, not to mention ALMS, World of Outlaws, USAC Silver Crown, 3/4 Midgets, WRC, F1, various touring car sorts of series, DTM and maybe the odd autoX for me.

Would I miss CART? Absolutely. But when it comes to racing there is a lot to choose from - heck I enjoyed watching a Porsche Club track day recently...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:25 (Ref:688710)   #25
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I forgot to add that I usually attend lots of Sprintcars across the summer, I'll be still into that as usual.