Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:01 (Ref:688539)   #1
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Action 13th - 20th

Just curious, but has anyone seen this weeks Auto Action in the shops yet, as I cannot seem to get a copy anywhere.

All the guys are saying it has not been delivered yet, and it is Friday. What's going on????
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:46 (Ref:688572)   #2
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know I got the same story in Brisbane.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 22:01 (Ref:688583)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Issue 1052 - Aug 13-29 2003 is available on the newstands in Melbourne - main headline 'Murph's Missile' with pic of new KMart VY and lower headline 'Trackside tragedy' and pic of McColl's VW.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 22:48 (Ref:688623)   #4
Dazz
Veteran

Hmmmm very strange ....... why has no Sydney News Agent got them then?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 22:53 (Ref:688625)   #5
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read another story on this, it was not available until today.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 23:36 (Ref:688654)   #6
Dazz
Veteran

I've had nothing to read on the train on the way to and from work, very dull as I enjoy my fiction!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 00:48 (Ref:688678)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I managed to get mine this morning..
Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:21 (Ref:688683)   #8
Dazz
Veteran

It's ok guys, just wandered down to Central and got my copy.

Still doesn't explain the delay though.

Last edited by Dazz; 15 Aug 2003 at 01:21.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:37 (Ref:688685)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

I guess it's just ike the delay in getting results out of Oran Park - They aren't available today either...
Old 15 Aug 2003, 03:20 (Ref:688695)   #10
Food Processor
Rookie

Food Processor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AA was a day late in Melbourne and I must say that it was well worth the wait. A Kmart press release for the lead story, nothing else to mention and a tasteless pic of McColl's Golf on the cover. An 'exclusive' report that Magnussen will join TD for the enduros (did anyone NOT know that?), Noske at SBR (ditto), the Monaro/Pontiac GTO (a week old), a chat with Winterbottom (read it last week), a 2 page map of Oran Park in the middle (gee, that is what it looks like) and week old race reports.

You would think that, if the AA staff knew that there was a problem that caused it to be out a day late, they would have the courtesy/balls to get on a forum and warn us so we do not hassle newsagents over something that is not their fault.

I thought that the previous editor was out of his depth but, after three issues, Fogarty makes him look like a Pullitzer candidate. He is just filling the pages with big pics, no news and no decent features. I thought he was a contender and that AA would FINALLY be able to give Motorsport News something to worry about. Branagan must be laughing his head off.

An all-time low. I stopped buying it every week some time ago, and have been just getting it when it contains something interesting, which WAS occasionally. I continue to wait for AA to get it together but, at this rate, I might be an old fart by then.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 03:56 (Ref:688705)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

The KMart story was released last week - so they can't use that as an excuse for it being a day late.

Maybe Foge's hair stylist hadn't finished giving him his weekly blowwave?
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:19 (Ref:688707)   #12
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have borrowed this post from prn 31 on Conrod, hope he does,nt mind.

The reason why AA is late has to do with a production problem. Apparently pdf files of the features articles are transmitted electronically on Friday, the news pages and race reports are transmitted electronically on Monday. Foges got a call from the printers on Monday night asking where the files were? Semmed they had disappeared into the ether. Hence the delay. It went onto the newstands in NSW today (Friday) and the other states I think yesterday.

I agree that the photo on the cover of McColl's accident was confronting, but its not Foges style to shy away from the big issues. In 2003 an accident like this should not be fatal. Neither Phillip Island nor Eastern Creek were specifically designed for car racing with insufficient sand traps and poorly placed tyre and concrete walls.

Track safety is the issue here, and Foges is not going to let it be swept under the carpet. Just wait till he ventures out to Oran Park this weekend.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:28 (Ref:688711)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

Ifound it rather - how should I put this - odd that AA reported McColl's accident yet, apart from Foges editorial and a letter, there isn't a mention of Frank Hurt.

OK - maybe the two aren't in the same league, but both are news items and deserve reporting as much as each other.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:41 (Ref:688716)   #14
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I finally got it today too. The inside back page is always the most interesting page to have a quick glance at...lmao
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:47 (Ref:688721)   #15
Dazz
Veteran

I must admit, and not being one to bag things out for the sake of it, being thankfull for small mercies and all that, but Auto Action has definitely slipped over the past year or so.

I seemed to be able to get a few days reading on the train trip to work and back every day, but now it seems like the trip home to read the interesting stuff, and the trip in the next day to read the rest, with maybe another trip to read the things I'm not even interested in just so I am reading something!

Maybe that's more of a reflection on me, but still!

I guess it is hard to come up with hard hitting, interesting, informative reading to suit everyones neads, but a little more fat wouldn't hurt.

I was actually enjoying some of the technical articles that were appearing about anything and everything from speedway engines to GP bike engines and everything in between.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:55 (Ref:688724)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

It isn't just the slip in articles - the previous editor seemed to have this attitude with letters that if they didn't agree with his viewpoint, he bagged the hell out of them. And, unfortunately, it appears that Foges is just continuing the tradition.

On the plus side, though, Motorsport News, although it is a fortnightly mag, has improved leaps and bounds over the past 2 years - and in particularly since the change in size/format.

Last edited by RaceTime; 15 Aug 2003 at 04:57.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:28 (Ref:688894)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been working in Lakes Entrance (about 300km East of Melbourne) all week and although AA didn't turn up as expected on Wednesday it was at the newsagents in Lakes on Thursday morning.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 13:34 (Ref:689059)   #18
lowdown
Racer

lowdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AA has "gone to the dogs" I have been a subscriber for 4 years and the only reason i have continued over the last 12 months is for the v8 news, and for the fact that subscribers get it for half price. It used to be a great mag but not these days. The subscription side of AA is a joke. Over the last 4 months i have had countless fights over the phone with them about their lack of concern for their subscribers and the fact we were still getting our Mag 1 week late. They eventually got the shhits with me and gave me 52 issues free. If it wasn't for that fact i would not buy it. So if you are a subscriber my advise is to hound them untill they crack.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 21:22 (Ref:689368)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dont argue with the previous editor, he doesnt take criticism all that well..... Here's hoping the shift to media management for FPV will sooth the savage beast
Old 15 Aug 2003, 21:33 (Ref:689375)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

Which is why he has been moved on????

Whether he takes criticism well or not - he was an arrogant fool - at least, before him, the letters page was just that - but it soon became apparent that he was using the letters to attack anyone whose view differed from his own.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 22:53 (Ref:689414)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They shut the Melbourne offices of AA and moved them to the home of Picture & People magazine at ACP in Sydney.

The previous editor was made an offer to stay on as I understand it, but did not wish to relocate from Melbourne. Or so the story goes.....

Here's hoping the gig cleaning up after Mr Flint is more successful.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 23:44 (Ref:689457)   #22
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havnt bought it for a couple of years now. The $5 a week covers my internet connection and i can get all the stuff plus more off the net rather than waiting a week or 2 or 3 for results to come out in AA.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Aug 2003, 04:52 (Ref:689566)   #23
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to buy both MN and AA but MN is every second week so AA is fresher (and cheaper ) so I only buy AA now. If Mn went weekly I'd have more of a decision to make.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 05:11 (Ref:689576)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

However, in the long run, MSN is much cheaper - two issues of AA compared to one of MSN in the same 2 week period...)
Old 16 Aug 2003, 05:30 (Ref:689586)   #25
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well yes, but I can't wait 2 weeks.

Last edited by Mattracer; 16 Aug 2003 at 05:31.