Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 18 Aug 2003, 04:57 (Ref:690752)   #1
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi and future

Does Rossi still want to go to 4-wheels? He was winning so easily in the last season as he hardly got any rivals last year. I recently read an article that he is not enjoying the race anymore because the media, mostly italian, is claiming he is winning because he gets the best bike.
Does he prefer 4-wheels to 2-wheels? I wonder if he is still racing motoGP when he reaches 30.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:42 (Ref:690836)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He loves motorcycle racing, but he's far from getting his own way this year. The Czech race proved how hard he has to fight now. He can no longer just disappear into the distance...
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:16 (Ref:690873)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Rossi feels that MotoGP will become too easy in time. He's only 24 and is on his way to a third successive title. The idea of emulating John Surtees seems to appeal to him, and he must feel he has plenty of time. Nigel Mansell was 38 when he won teh title, that would give Tino 14 years to win it, and Schumacher had only been racing cars for 8 years when he took his first title.

The competitiveness of Gibernau on the same bike will have surprised him, it certainly surpised the fans. The claims that Biaggi could do a beter job on the same bike will upset him as well, those two do not like each other and it may be that the Itlaian press prefer Max.

I think he will look to join Ducati for next seaosn, or 2005, by which time Bayliis will be 35, or the team may be ready to add a third bike. I think he'd be willing to ahve a go on the semi-works bikes WCM are likely to run next year, just to add to his credentials before any switch.

Valentino is a real personality, who does everything with panache, bravery and style. COmpared to F1's current grid of bland robotic nobodies he would be a breath of fresh air.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:54 (Ref:691067)   #4
Blue
Racer

I hope Rossi move to Ducati next year if he hasn't signed with honda yet. he can wait and see if Duc becomes champ contender next year, but if he wants real challenge, he should move next year and shut all Italian press up.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:49 (Ref:691581)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be sad the day he leaves but I read that he wants to ride for Ducati. Anywhere he goes he will more than likely be a contender.

It would also be nice to have him in F1. I agree with Boots about the current lot of drivers.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:32 (Ref:691906)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For now we have to consider reality: he has singed a two-year deal with Honda, therefore 4-wheel hypothesis is not actually on the table.
After then, if just Ducati have made the improvement they need to catch up Honda, i think he would hardly reject the tempation to win, as an italian, the GP WDC on an italian bike...
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:38 (Ref:691911)   #7
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah .. and that bike should be Aprilia ..... not Ducati

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Aug 2003, 08:14 (Ref:691944)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dani,
Vale openly admitted that Aprilia is still in his heart, but I don't think he would ever take the risk to do like Jack Villeneuve or Damon Hill, i.e. to carry on a weak bike and keep losing 2 or 3 years to try and improve it.
He'd rather do like Senna, who wanted to come and find a perfect car, ready-to-win.
From this point of view, Ducati seems in a better position than Aprilia:
they can focus on GP (not125 or 250), and they have proven more competitive since the first day, thanks to their experience in Superbike.
As an italian I wish all the best to Aprilia, who did great things for Moto GP, breaking the japanese monopoly; but we have to acnowledge that, despite many years of involvement in the major class, they're still struggling there.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 13:12 (Ref:692187)   #9
Blue
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by climb

After then, if just Ducati have made the improvement they need to catch up Honda, i think he would hardly reject the tempation to win, as an italian, the GP WDC on an italian bike...
I don't understand an Italian wants to ride an Italian bike thing. but, then I am not an Italian. He can choose the team he wants to ride for, so why not moving to Ducati. I want to see if he is really the best among top riders with non-honda bikes.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:42 (Ref:692341)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Blue,
we cannot even count bikers who have won on a Honda; an italian one winning on i.e. Ducati would get even greater popularity, at least in his homeland.
That is the same reason why Honda had planned to appoint poorboy Kato as n°1 driver; despite being global, even honda take care of driver nationality.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 19:33 (Ref:692515)   #11
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
yeah .. and that bike should be Aprilia ..... not Ducati

He should swap with Colin Edwards then! Or Troy Bayliss if it's Ducati.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:41 (Ref:693457)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Vale is complaining about the press hounding him on a Honda, imagine what they will do to him on a Ducati.
Plus they are sponsored by Marlboro which is a no no as far as Vale is concerned, remember he came to loggerheads with HRC bosses over fag money when they wanted Mild Seven or summat to sponsor him on the V5.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 03:55 (Ref:693944)   #13
laneatkins
Rookie

laneatkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

how about Ferrari? red hair, red car, I can see it happening...

Last edited by laneatkins; 21 Aug 2003 at 03:56.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 08:20 (Ref:694063)   #14
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
He should swap with Colin Edwards then! Or Troy Bayliss if it's Ducati.
what that wrong with a third factory bike

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Aug 2003, 15:07 (Ref:698352)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
mmmhh..
I can't foresee a third italian brand coming: Gilera doesn't seem interested at entering motogp, and there is no rumour of a Cagiva comeback...
I'd be frankly more excited by an european new entry, like BMW
Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:56 (Ref:698651)   #16
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
what that wrong with a third factory bike

Nothing. But someone would have to replace him at Repsol Honda wouldn't they?
Old 6 Sep 2003, 07:13 (Ref:709878)   #17
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Vale has made it quite clear in the past that an Aprilia ride would mean much to him. He also wants Ducati ride but will not sign with any cigarette sponsored teams. Therefore if Ducati stay with the fag sponsorship then Aprilia is his only option. With Vale on a Aprilia I beleive in the near future they can win as a combination. Like has been said time is on his side here.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:41 (Ref:709918)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you think Valentino could do a deal to ride for a Nasturo Azurro Ducati, and make sure that Max Biaggi doesnt replace him at Honda??
Old 6 Sep 2003, 13:59 (Ref:710101)   #19
TheMan
Racer

Unfortunately Honda had Kato in the wings to replace Rossi. Honda knew long ago about Valentino`s demands for money this season and were hoping for a Japanese challenger so they could have more bargening power. No one saw Giberneu as the likely replacement not even Vale himself but it has fallen into Hondas hands in these very fine negotiating stages. Honda will stay with Rossi for two more seasons and this will give time for Aprilia to make there move. If they don`t and Ducati stay with cigarrette money then Rossi will be with Honda longer than we think. I don`t think that Rossi even considers Max in any of his negotiations. He knows he can beat Max on any bike at any given day. Thats how the rivalry started after all.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 02:09 (Ref:710524)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Valentino will be at Honda for the next few years. Ducati may want him but certain aspects stop Rossi from signing, while Aprilia just isn't competitive... yet.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 08:49 (Ref:710614)   #21
TheMan
Racer

You are right Aprilia whether it be SBK or Motogp just can`t get a handle on things, So while Rossi rides the next at least two years on a Honda then Aprilia have the oportunity to get some speed. If they can find the speed then Rossi will find the times and the combination and they can win. Also the same be said for Ducati. If they can find a new sponsor(be it non tobacco) then thats where Rossi would go tomorrow for sure, because they have already proven they are winners. Aprilia on the other hand desperately want to prove that they are the number one Italian manufacturer so I beleive Motogp is just warming up to what will be an explosive couple of years t0 come. One thing is for sure Rossis Honda bound for some time to come.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:16 (Ref:721740)   #22
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi to Ducati next year!

?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 23:56 (Ref:722556)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
2005 probably. Unless Ducati start a satellite team without cigarette sponsorship. He will not ride a Marlboro Ducati.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 07:35 (Ref:722729)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will. Next season too. I feel it in my liver.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:52 (Ref:722844)   #25
TheMan
Racer

Made a call today and was very reliably told that Rossi will indeed be at Honda for at least two years. Apparently the deal is done and the money side of the contract is about to be signed. Apparently an anouncement could be as close as this weekend.