Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:20 (Ref:698612)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news from Lydden

Having just returned from superb days racing at Lydden Hill,I was shocked to hear that the voice of Rallycross for many years is to be no more!. It all seems to be a bit sudden but such a shame that we will lose such a stalwart for Rallycross in this country. His commentary is something I will always remember from various meetings and his knowledge and enthusiasm for the sport is something, which has always made my trips to various circuits worthwhile. Such a shame we don’t know the reasons for Arthur packing it all in? I just hope there is nothing else that has persuaded him to stop.
And whom the hell are they going to get too replace him (step forward Mr Stott) its all yours.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:33 (Ref:698627)   #2
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am gutted to hear this news about Arthur. He is British rallycross and is unreplaceable. This will leave a massive gap in British Rallycross as he has lived and breathed the sport for many years. The Rallycross Trust has been part of the fixtures and fittings and at venues like Knockhill where he wasnt present then the event had a massive hollow atmosphere.

I heard it is for probable personal reasons. I gather Ian Shelley has now taken over the day to day running of the rallycross trust and i hope he keeps up the good work that Arthur and Adrianne have done for rallycross over the years.

This is a sad day for British Rallycross.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 22:35 (Ref:698767)   #3
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad to hear Arthur say this was his last Lydden.

Having held season tickets for Brands (MCD/Octagon)since 1982, I`ve seen a great deal of enjoyable racing, but I only get a real buzz from watching rallycross.

Part of this buzz comes from the feeling that you know the drivers involved thanks to Arthurs commentary.

Loosing Murray from Grand Prix was bad, but Arthur from RallyX is unthinkable.

"Thanks Arthur for all the great entertainment over the years"
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:39 (Ref:699114)   #4
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That really is sad news. From the first meeting's I ever attended at Snetterton over 20 years ago, Arthur was always the commentator at rallycross meetings, a great loss to the sport and will be hard to replace. The guy who commentates at the Norwegian events would be good, he's like a South American football commentator, mad a s they come.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:51 (Ref:700058)   #5
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
quick question to you Barrie!Have you been to the Norwegian round of the ERC before,i am considering making the trip over.Is there any points an advice you could give me !
This goes out to other fellow Rallycross Fans.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:57 (Ref:700067)   #6
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
just a quick note regarding Arthur packing it all in!
rumour has it that it may not be intirely Arthurs decision others may be involved.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 01:22 (Ref:700183)   #7
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Norway - yes check the event is deffinatly on before travelling. The circuit has been bankrupt for the past two seasons at Drammen and last year the drivers had to invest (Hunsbedt, Opland and Sachweh) in the event to keep it alive. The Euro currency has had a big effect on there economy meaning prices have gone up. Although it is one venue that u have to go to as it captures the atmosphere more than any other. the last left right left right it awesome to watch especially with the division 1 machines.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 01:32 (Ref:700196)   #8
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Circuit website: http://www.nmkdrammen.no/ - Follow em rallycross link and all the full info on the event will appear before u.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 00:43 (Ref:701312)   #9
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by schanche
just a quick note regarding Arthur packing it all in!
rumour has it that it may not be intirely Arthurs decision others may be involved.
Arthurs farewell comments worried me a little too. He said he didn`t want to make the reasons public as he said goodbye over the PA. As a spectator I can only imagine how much hard work, commentating for a full day must be, without the time and effort in preperation and travelling.

If there is any other reason behind his decision, I hope he realises just how much support he has in spectator land.

He will be sadly missed, but he has made a great contribution to rallycross, and that will live on.

Last edited by Stephen H; 28 Aug 2003 at 00:44.