Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever ruined a car?
Yes 15 65.22%
No 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Aug 2003, 18:04 (Ref:702927)   #1
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you ever ruined a car?

Ok, stand up all of those amongst us, who have bought (usually a supermini) and put in a big sterio, wings, flared wheel arches, blacked out windows, stupid lights or anything like that?

Let me say firstly, I think people who do this kind of thing are all insane idiots who do not belong in the real car world. Your Nova may have a body Kit, but it has a Vauxhall badge so it's still not cool, think what you are doing, it's not cool, it's sad!

I was informed today that it is not even really a bird puller, it was explained to me using cool board ideas. Basically if you have a body kit on your Nova it shows you care more about your car than your woman, that's not a cool image to have. If you want to look cool, go for something smooth, but doesn't say "Look at me" I'm told that the best supermini's for this are the 206, the punto and the Clio, and dark colours are sophisticated.

Rant over, I am basically telling you to think if you're a young lad, you don't look cool, you look sad, and it doesn't make you any more of a car enthusiast.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 18:48 (Ref:702950)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice rant Reido, although I have to say that not all 'modders' are idiots. Lets see what some of our other members have to say.....
Old 29 Aug 2003, 19:59 (Ref:702997)   #3
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the whole wings, stereos ground effects kits, etc are pretty much "sizzle without the steak". Robert
Old 29 Aug 2003, 22:24 (Ref:703085)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You get your idiots (usually in your Nova's...) occasionally but when you really get to know people who like to look after their cars you will find many things about them that a lot of people believe they are not.

Firstly, they appreciate their cars, and are therefore respectful drivers towards others on the road and despite what many believe they don't drive like idiots at insane speeds. They also know a lot about the car they drive!

Everybody has hobbies and I suppose this is a good one for people - I haven't modified my car yet but I intend to in the future because I appreciate having a car which is clean, shiny and looks good on the road.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:29 (Ref:703141)   #5
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatley most guys around here with wings and neon lights on thier Hondas don't know anything about thier cars and have paid someone A LOT of money to "supe up" thier "cars". But then again, they don't seem to drive any worse than the mini-van and SUV drivers in Vancouver...
Old 30 Aug 2003, 12:00 (Ref:703312)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing that makes me laugh is the way they talk about doing it to be a bit different, which is why they all look the same......a bit like Caterham drivers.

(huge generalisation of course... :d )
Old 1 Sep 2003, 23:07 (Ref:705186)   #7
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's my beef too. Some spotty oik who still lives with Mummy and Daddy chucks all his paper round money at DeadGoodMintedMotorz.com's local depot to make his car look "special", and ends up with the same wheels as Barry next door, the same stupid snowplough splitter as Kev further down the street and the same neon tubes as Dazza. I know that's a great generalisation or stereotyping, and it's not always the boy racers that are guilty - after all, one blue Subaru with golden wheels looks very much like the next.

I feel ever so slightly smug at the fact that I could park my camper anywhere on the earth and know no-one's going to park anything remotely similar next to it. It's all my own imagination, a lot was my own hard work, and it's perfectly to my tastes and not to satisfy some fleeting car fashion.

Hmm... are we off topic enough yet
Old 2 Sep 2003, 09:51 (Ref:705482)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What makes me laugh most are the ridiculous wings they put on the back of their Civics and Corsas...

Haven't they noticed that the latest coolest supercars don't have spoilers anymore?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:22 (Ref:705614)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's a metro somewhere around here with the full 6R4 style bodykit on it but still running the ridiculously skinny factory fitted wheels. How dumb does that look? The genuine 6R4 only gets away with that body kit because it sounds gorgeous and goes like greased weasel

Last edited by Bluebottle; 2 Sep 2003 at 19:52.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:54 (Ref:705748)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
I feel ever so slightly smug at the fact that I could park my camper anywhere on the earth and know no-one's going to park anything remotely similar next to it. It's all my own imagination, a lot was my own hard work, and it's perfectly to my tastes and not to satisfy some fleeting car fashion.

Hmm... are we off topic enough yet

Here, boys and girls is your perfect role model - someone who has an imagination and doesn't follow the rest like sheep!

Respect to you Maisie!
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:28 (Ref:707509)   #11
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have two questions for the boy racers:
1. Why buy a car worth £500 (at most) and proceed to spend thousands on it?
2. Why spend money on the engines in order to make them faster, only to weigh it down with bloody great sound systems?
In response to the title of the thread, yes I have ruined a car; but it was only because I had a rather close look at the central reservation...
Old 7 Sep 2003, 23:48 (Ref:711302)   #12
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
explain to me how are society has this confused?

car with stereo,big exhaust tip, fancy lights: race car

Beater with race slicks, cage, striped interior, real wing: POS
Old 8 Sep 2003, 00:02 (Ref:711306)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have nothing against 'real' mods that people make to their cars. They are usually very tasty indeed. It's just the people who put OS alloys, body kit and a big-bore exhaust on a standard 1 lire Nova. And THEN still give it 'large' along side you at a set of traffic lights.

1.0 vs 1.8. Bye bye kids..
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:02 (Ref:711853)   #14
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's always satisfaction to be had by wasting some boy racer off the lights when he's in his little Nova, and you're in your completely standard BMW 7 series, four up with a boot full of stuff, knowing it cost you less than half wht he's invested in his tin box! Even more satisfying when the odometer's showing over 200,000 miles...
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:36 (Ref:711886)   #15
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even better when you're in a bog standard (but 1600!) Austin Maestro vs 1.2 Nova Merit
Old 27 Sep 2003, 08:49 (Ref:731594)   #16
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
around here, there always some idiot with a great big rear wing on his trunk that is angled the wrong way, so that it will produce uplift!

Either because the slope of the trunk (sorry, boot) is wrong or its just a plain idiot wing, but they always crack me up when I think of these guys having not a clue whatsever about aero bits, and thinking they look cool, while if their car actually got up to a hundred or so, the rear wheels might start to lift off the ground!
Old 27 Sep 2003, 18:44 (Ref:732202)   #17
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
I must say that I used to really enjoy blowing off the little cars, but it has gotten boring (5.7liter '68 Camaro vs. and 2.? liter import with absurd wings, giant wheels, fart pipe exhaust, and of course the gawdy vinyl graphics and booming stereo), so now I just laugh if one throws the revs at me. Robert
Old 28 Sep 2003, 03:24 (Ref:732554)   #18
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
You know, I was thinking about this, did you mean ruin by tastelessly adding **** onto it, or ruin as in beat it to death? If you mean by beating it to death, I killed my parents 78 VW Rabbit when I was a teen. That car got mondo air time everyday for two years, knocking the exhaust right off it at one point ("I dunno mom I was just driving along and it fell off" ) That car finally met it's death by being creamed by the naked crazy woman one night on my way home, if somebody asks nice I will recount the whole story (it's pretty funny) Robert
Old 29 Sep 2003, 17:43 (Ref:734398)   #19
avsfan733
Veteran

i want to hear the whole story!!

ayway, on topic...yes i have destroyed a car....The "replacment engine" in my car
a 90 chevy astro can, twisted the frame playing with one of the little rice rockets...I believe it was a civic....anyways, the frame is now about 4 inches offsquare and tracks like a drunken cheetah
Old 29 Sep 2003, 22:15 (Ref:734645)   #20
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
The whole naked lady story

Okay, so here is the whole story. I was driving home late one night (about 3AM) when I looked in the mirror and saw a cops lights going behind me, so being the conscientous motorist that I am I moved over to either get busted or let him by. The road at this point is a two lane road (one in either direction) and there is a mini-market where I am pulling off with parking out in front, but no curbs to seperate the parking area from the street. So I get into the parking area to get out of the way, when all of a sudden, a large american station wagon comes around me on the right (away from the road) and then cuts through the front corner of the rabbit as it swerves to avoid the curb at the end of the parking area that seperated the lot from the next business along (this curb ran out from the market to the street at a right angle to the road). It misses the curb by inches, and I swear got up on two wheels to do it and continues on down the road. The cop who's lights I saw it my mirror blows by me on my left to continue the pursuit. It is here that I have to point out that this was in a couple of small bedroom communities north of San Francisco. The first car by was a cotati cop (the juridstiction that I was actually in), then another cotati cop, then a rohnert park cop (the juridstiction next door) then another cotati cop, then a california Highway patrol car, then another rohnert park cop, then another cotati cop comes along side me (I am still sitting in the debris of the rabbit) and says "are you okay" so I nodded affirmative, and he rips off down the road, followed by a sonoma county sherrif, then another higway patrol car. The 10th car to show up is a cotati cop, obviously dissapointed to not be in on the action,, who starts to interview me about what happened, including the doing a complete drunk driving battery on me (as if this was my fault) while listening to the pursuit on his radio. So the cops radio back that the suspect vehicle is doing 100mph+ while driving down the wrong side of the road (still a two lane country highway). The pursuit finally ended when the passenger in the station wagon threw the trans into park at 100mph and the trans shot its guts out all over the road and the car skittered off into a ditch. The driver gets out wearing nothing but her shoes and socks (apparently she weighed about 300lbs) and tries to run off only to be tackled by the cops who have been chasing her, and apparently it took all ten to wrestle her to the ground and subdue her. The story turns out that while driving down the wrong side of the road, she had also been taking all of her clothes off and throwing them out the window. I never found out what her deal was, although my assesment has always been that she was on PCP. So anyhow the rabbit was a total write-off the impact had knocked the whole front cradle off center by about 8-10" and the front right corner of the suspension was completely smashed from where she drove over it. I couldn't even open either of the doors, and had to get out of it through the window. So at this point I had to call my parents (I was only about a mile or two from home)and have them come and get me as the car was totally inoperative. My dad showed up, and instead of relief that I was uninjured, he seemed bent like I had done all of this on purpose. About three weeks later the naked lady called me to discuss it, but I had already been told by my parents' insurance company to not say anything and refer her to them if she called. What I should have done was ask her what the hell she was on (and where I could score some ).
So there you have it, the story of the rabbit and the naked lady. Hope you enjoyed it. Robert

Last edited by noise boy 2; 29 Sep 2003 at 22:18.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 05:36 (Ref:740042)   #21
avsfan733
Veteran

Thats incredible....knowing your okay, I haven't laughed that hard in a good long time