Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Oct 2003, 11:31 (Ref:754259)   #1
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley pulls out of Le Mans

This is sad news, good job I never bought any of their gear, I thought they'd be around for at least 1 more year to denfend their win :confused: I'm still going next year though
Old 17 Oct 2003, 12:06 (Ref:754292)   #2
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
BBC have got a ticker-tape headline about this, with full story to follow. Not a huge surprise but still a big disappointment.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 12:10 (Ref:754297)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
We knew from the start that it was for 3 years only...

It was the same for Cad : three shots, that's all...

And the Oreca Dallaras, aka Chrysler Mopars...

Time goes by, we cannot nothing about it, only hope that we'll have great new cars again...
Old 17 Oct 2003, 12:41 (Ref:754317)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A shame. Fantastic cars and name.

No chance for a sale to a privateer either.

As for their merchandise. I want more now!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 13:02 (Ref:754335)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i wanna see them in gts
Old 17 Oct 2003, 13:16 (Ref:754343)   #6
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to find something positive in this...

at least the Domes and Courages will be in with a better chance, and a privateer team may be able to raise more sponsorship as they may have a greater opportunity to win outright...

on the other hand, without a blue-chip marque maybe the overall sponsorship level is diminished...

(I know that to a sportscar fan a Dome or Courage is a blue-chip marque)

Outright Ferrari or Saleen GTS win, anyone?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 13:38 (Ref:754353)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Time goes by, we cannot nothing about it, only hope that we'll have great new cars again...
...for a race or two. Add Nissan to the list, and BMW.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 14:58 (Ref:754421)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a great shame, but we all knew ages ago this would be the case.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:05 (Ref:754428)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes indeed it is a shame that Bentley have decided not to return - or to sell the cars to a Privateer. Ah well. The LMP era is ending!! - Forza GTS!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:24 (Ref:754450)   #10
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the problem of not seeing more ex-factory cars run is the expense and technical resources to do it right. Unless a manufacturer can find a privateer willing to take over the program at the same level, the cars will just run in the middle or back of the field. The marketing guys believe this doesn't serve the brand well and rather promote success, even if it is a few years old. Anyone seen the Mazda racing ads lately?

The only ex-factory cars that have done better in recent memory are the MG Lolas, but a lot of the credit has to go to Dyson (funding) and Lola (technical).
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:33 (Ref:754463)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Yes indeed it is a shame that Bentley have decided not to return - or to sell the cars to a Privateer. Ah well. The LMP era is ending!! - Forza GTS!

Oh go away........

Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:55 (Ref:754489)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Oh go away........

Only Joking Ayse. But u know its true.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:07 (Ref:754503)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
does anyone else feel bentley missed a trick here...i mean one win is hardly setting the world alight and raising their profile. i think they should have came back and tried to build on this success.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:09 (Ref:754506)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's like three strikes and you're out.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:29 (Ref:754528)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
does anyone else feel bentley missed a trick here...i mean one win is hardly setting the world alight and raising their profile. i think they should have came back and tried to build on this success.
It probably someone elses turn from VAG - Audi again or Lambo?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:36 (Ref:754536)   #16
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
shame really, i thought the latest speed 8 cars were some of the best prototype cars i've seen in a while. but with no major factories confirmed for next year as of now, looks like a privateer team could win, i think there will still be a fair bit of private LMP cars at Lemans next year for a GTS car to win overall. the domes and courages have al ran pretty reliably in the past couple years and same goes with the audo r8's. since the factory has said their R9 is delayed, the private audi teams should enter lemans next year and i'm sure we'll see another audi win
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:55 (Ref:754553)   #17
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh they'll be back......in another 70 years.....
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:19 (Ref:754579)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Also I am not surprised, but this gives Courage, Pescarolo and/or RfH a better chance of getting a podium finish.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:50 (Ref:754604)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really suprised, but its a really shame, lets hope its not another 80 years before they come back.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:11 (Ref:754623)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I realize it was expected that Bentley would not return due to their three-year commitment, but I do think they missed out. You could hardly call the Speed 8 a dominate force. Only one Le Mans win. No series titles. No Sebring win. No other victories for that matter. How will the Speed 8 go down in sports car history? However, their goal was to win Le Mans, and they did that, so maybe it was a success after all.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:42 (Ref:754702)   #21
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that it's a damned shame, but the bright side of this news is that the Courage, Dome, and Lola teams, et al, will redouble their efforts to unseat the privateer R8's.

Not to mention those pesky GTS cars...
Old 17 Oct 2003, 21:52 (Ref:754775)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We've pretty much known that for a while...guess there were many that still held onto hope....

They were fast and gorgeous!!!! It's a shame we won't see them back

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 18 Oct 2003, 07:04 (Ref:754932)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Just one thing : Matra and Renault did the same in the 70' (Matra : 1972, 73, 74 ; Renault : 1976, 1977, 1978).

Sad, but due to the cost, we knew that it wasn't for life.

Other will come... again, Cy ? You say ? Nissan, BMW, and ?

SaleenS7R, no problem, I love GTs as well !
Old 18 Oct 2003, 13:25 (Ref:755062)   #24
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm afraid I was convinced of this in August when I heard that the Bentley truckies had been told they were free agents for next summer.

And if a team doesn't need transporter drivers.... well, I drew my own conclusions.

I'll remember a great three years though and the models on my desk and the paintings on my walls will keep the memories alive for the next 70 years or so.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 13:26 (Ref:755063)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Other will come... again, Cy ? You say ?
No I not say! Add them to the list of those who were gona again after three years or less...

As long as BMW is in F***1, they won't have time or money for anything else (and they'll never give up playing with tourers). Nissan is dependent of Renault now, and as long as the RĂ©gie is in F1... - see above.

And yes, I also believe the prototype era is coming to a close. Innovative racing isn't in demand anymore (there are the DPs but they are prototypes only by name) - perhaps they should be done away with and replaced with a "super-GTS" class based on cars homologated GT/GTS cars and "supercars" (or indeed all sorts of FIA-homologated cars), with more technical freedom? - Not that that's anything new: Group 5 was like that.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 18 Oct 2003 at 13:27.