Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 18 Oct 2003, 23:41 (Ref:755438)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ever felt threatened?

Have you ever been shooting something, and said to yourself, 'what the heck am I doing here?'

Yesterday, I was fairly certain I was going to be going home in a wooden box....

At a car show, there was the first local appearance of the world's most powerful bike, a 5000hp jet engine jigger with a big muther afterburner. They put on a special thing for a couple shooters and the TV cameras. Once they moved everyone to the side, and away from the back, they chocked up the front wheel with a block of wood. We were put to one side and they fired it up... oh my god... there go the eardrums!

Anyways, the thing obviously didn't blow up, and we got some good results, and I'm here to live another day.

Anyone else had a scary ordeal?
Attached Thumbnails
jet-bike.jpg  
Old 20 Oct 2003, 13:07 (Ref:756946)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't really been scared to often while shooting. I have thought later I am glad that somehting bad did not happen.

At Ft. Worth the Loose Cannon Top Alcohol Flat Bottom drag boat hooked a hard left and came toward the lake bank right at me and the driver's wife who was videoing the pass. He quickly shut it down and squared it up and idled down the course. His poor wife passed out. She must have thought he is going to die, kill all of us on the bank and half the spectators at the race.
Never forget #99
Old 20 Oct 2003, 22:45 (Ref:757563)   #3
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow KC thats scary.

I have never had one as a photographer but have said that to myself afterawrds because of what could have been
Old 23 Oct 2003, 01:38 (Ref:760161)   #4
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash Test, I shot jet dragsters all the time when I was a full time track photographer. My usually routine was to shoot the launch and then duck below a concrete wall, cover my camera and wait for the dust to clear.

If you get the chance to shoot the bike or any jet powered car again use you flash to fill light the bike or car. If your camera has a backlight setting then give that a try or manually set the camera and flash.

What I did, if I can find the neg to show you, is to meter the flames and quickly set my flash to one stop less then wait for the second blast of flames. You should get a nice exposure of the bike/car and great exposure of the flames.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:05 (Ref:761330)   #5
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think crash tests picture kinda works as a silhouette - maybe if he was a little lower to really show up the outline of the bike against the flame.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 17:02 (Ref:762079)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In his pic, the fire and conflagration are the focal point and the silhouette adds to it becasue it offers information as to why its happening and who is making it. Cool shot!
Never forget #99
Old 25 Oct 2003, 15:36 (Ref:762764)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! That bike is scary! So was this, well afterwards anyway when I thought what might have been.
Mallory Park, March 1971 and Ronnie Peterson's steering broke approaching the Esses in his F2 March 712 while leading. The car cleared the earth bank and landed upside down tight against the spectator fence. I was 12 years old and standing at the front,about 6 feet to the left of this shot. I remember being showered with earth, stones etc and everybody trying to duck. One young lad was hurt, not seriously, by flying debris and Ronnie got out OK.
Ronnie came back over later with the nose of the car which he signed and gave to the boy, who had been to the St.John's first aid tent.This picture was taken by our own Dave Marshall (DaveM).
Attached Thumbnails
mp71-ronnie.jpg  

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 25 Oct 2003 at 15:38.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 05:23 (Ref:764121)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I probably shouldn't have started this thread as a really scary one happened on the weekend- see CART forum and 'I don't like Bruno' thrad...