Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Oct 2003, 11:57 (Ref:760595)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Alms 2004 !!

What are we going to have next year in the LMP900 class ? We already know that Joest will be staying out of the ALMS except for maybe Sebring and that Panoz has said that there will be no works involvement so I suppose that means no Panoz LMP900 there either . American Spirit are selling off there R&S . Intersport may run the second R&S but with the news that they have converted their MG into a JUDD I suspect that they will run just the one R&S . So , that leaves us with Champion Racing

675 should be 3 lola B160 (ex-MG EX2257) and a scattering of pilbeam's which cant seriously challange a well run B160 .

No prizes for guessing who's going to win LMP900 next year then

I feel that the interest in prototype's is definetly dwindeling ..... which is sad to see . The excuse of "no money" is not on as there are teams landing out loads of wedge for Ferrari's and im sure there will be a Maseratti or Lambo in the ALMS and maybe even a private Corvette C5R . If the money is there for GT then where is it for LMP ???
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:17 (Ref:760720)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no LMP900 next year.

LMP1 includes the two Dyson cars, two Field cars, Champion, whoever bought the ASR car, probably the Panoz in a privateer's hands (I'm sure there will be incentives - that seems to be the norm in North America these days). That's 6-8, comparable to 900 (but less than combined 900 and 675) this year.

LMP2 will have the two ASR cars, the Bucknum Pilbeam, Archangel, and whoever else wants to join the party (Essex still have their B2K/40s, which would be eligible, for example, or Jim Downing's WR). So 4 minimum, maybe as many as 8 (pure speculation based on cost of entry)?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:760764)   #3
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz OUT

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
There is no LMP900 next year.

LMP1 includes the two Dyson cars, two Field cars, Champion, whoever bought the ASR car, probably the Panoz in a privateer's hands (I'm sure there will be incentives - that seems to be the norm in North America these days). That's 6-8, comparable to 900 (but less than combined 900 and 675) this year.
Word around the paddock in Road Atlanta last w/e was that Dr.Don will not support the class in any way.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:50 (Ref:760771)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Panoz OUT

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Word around the paddock in Road Atlanta last w/e was that Dr.Don will not support the class in any way.
That was said by Don during the LM race in June : no support, but cars for sale if customers want to enter some...
Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:07 (Ref:760804)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Panoz OUT

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
It is not something that I fully believe though. I just can't forsee him allowing the entries to shrink that far.

There is also the rumoured Canadian Audi entry, which completely baffles me, as Paul has said Pfaff perhaps???
Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:760825)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Somebody is going to buy the Panoz cars...they were consistent this year...top 5 at Sebring & Le Mans and podium at Petit...

The American Spirit R&S will be run by someone in ALMS next year, according to ASR's announcement of their plans for LMP2 nex year....

I think the LMP1 and LMP2 classes will be fine next year...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:37 (Ref:761234)   #7
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well as far as the GTS cars go, carsport america will be back just not sure with what car yet. the email i got from their manager said they were evaluation 3 possible cars for next year: returning with their viper, running a pagoni or running the new lambo. the factory vettes will be back and acemco is running a saleen s7-r maybe 2 at the enduros. also at petit lemans the broadcasters said the guy who managed david brahbam's and jan magnussen's car at panoz, i believe his name is dave price, said he might buy the successful prodrive built 550's and run them next year and prodrive might be returning with an aston martin. so it looks like the GTS class will be secure oh and there are still rumors floating around that rahal might buy one or two ferrari 575 GTC's and race them.

Last edited by slicktsax; 23 Oct 2003 at 20:41.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:41 (Ref:761306)   #8
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be wise for someone to buy the Panoz's. They defintely are best of the rest. They consistantly beat out R&S MKIIIc's. Besides that they are ultra reliable and from the looks of it Audi R8s are showing signs of old age with much more problems than they had last year, that will probably multiply next year.

Next year could be one of the most exciting LM1(900) battles yet!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:50 (Ref:761312)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money

Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
I think it would be wise for someone to buy the Panoz's. They defintely are best of the rest. They consistantly beat out R&S MKIIIc's. Besides that they are ultra reliable and from the looks of it Audi R8s are showing signs of old age with much more problems than they had last year, that will probably multiply next year. Next year could be one of the most exciting LM1(900) battles yet!
All it takes is money, lots of it. I believe that it was Briggs Cunningham who first said "The way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one".
Old 24 Oct 2003, 04:40 (Ref:761504)   #10
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a couple of older Courage chassis around, and they might do well with Judd power...there are also the Ascaris....

Last edited by dretceterini; 24 Oct 2003 at 04:41.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 06:51 (Ref:761560)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon the Panoz chassis is a good all round car . If Audi wasnt the bench mark the Panoz would still be a winner . Like at LeMans this year , but for Bentley and Audi the battle for 4th would have been for 1st between Panoz , RfH and Courage . A well run R&S is still a great car , when it had a level of works support that is . Remember last year when JMR ran the beast , a 2nd at Daytona and a 3rd at Sebring !!