Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Nov 2003, 19:07 (Ref:772972)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nuttin' Like Texas in April...for needed ALMS Date

These two options are ready-made race courses that are in excellent shape....

I don't see how either one could miss....surely there are 100,000 road racing fans in the Lone Star State...

First, the Dallas Circuit....easy travel access, close to the DFW International Airport, and the facilties are first rate..just add grandstands....
Attached Thumbnails
dallasnas1abovesm.jpg  

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Nov 2003, 19:09 (Ref:772978)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Courtesy of PMcCormick from another forum...

The old Austin Municipal Airport....
Attached Thumbnails
austintxtrack1.jpg  

Old 4 Nov 2003, 19:17 (Ref:772990)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to admit Tim, your crusade on this has been tremendous.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 19:21 (Ref:772993)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I wouldn't have to do this if Mr. Panoz and Mr. Atherton would just step to the plate and make some things happen...

Personally, I would love to see them just book Willow Springs in southern California for a mid-April race...it would save me a lot of search time....and drawing....

Old 4 Nov 2003, 22:21 (Ref:773190)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....You all are aware that the above comment about Mr. Panoz, etc., was in jest....

As I have stated in other threads, I fully understand their position as a sanctioning body to work with promoters as opposed to being a self-presenter....

In reality, I would prefer that someone in Texas, or Southern California, or other locales where races would work and would help the Series to grow would be the ones to step forward to bring these events to their communities....

But I do like presenting these options as a way to get all of us thinking about different ways that rsportscar racing can grow here in the USA....

Old 5 Nov 2003, 08:03 (Ref:773496)   #6
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice Ideas. I think there won't be any races at Dallas and at New York. Not in a city! It is too dangerous due to the more difficult calculation!
Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:12 (Ref:774156)   #7
pmccormick
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
pmccormick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further homework on the Mueller airfield in TX lends me to believe that it is not an option. Even when I become wealthy next month from winning the PowerBall, and after I buy that R8 on Ebay, I think the land will be too expensive and too much of a hassle to turn into a racetrack, seeing that redevelopment of the airfield into boring parks, homes and shops is already underway. Too bad because the Mueller tarmac layout had endless possibilites for laying out a track.

We should stick to abandoned military fields in TX that no one has any plans for yet. I'm going to need some place to wring out my R8. I was planning on driving around Meigs Field in downtown Chicago, but some dumbass went and bulldozed it...

Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:30 (Ref:774173)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If you want to see an old military airfield with virtually endless possibilities, look up the "El Toro" Base that I believe is in Tustin, California....

I haven't done anything with it, because there are road courses in Southern California already, but this one is really flexible

Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:38 (Ref:774175)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On the www.airfields-freeman.com site, it is in the "California -- Orange County" index...

It is the "El Toro MCAS"...

Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:38 (Ref:774177)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thommy, they had one Grand Prix in Dallas before, why not again.

Somehow though, i don't think the same track would be advisabel....
Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:54 (Ref:774191)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Dallas had one at Addison Airport, and also ran on the city streets...both were problematic for different reasons that I do not recall off-hand...

Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:54 (Ref:774192)   #12
pmccormick
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Wow! Lots of roadway on El Toro. Too bad it's in CA instead of somewhere that needs a race, not that I would mind an additional CA race. Actually an additonal race anywhere would be fine, but I guess that's pretty much everyone's wish.

Maybe when the boss leaves I'll draw up an El Toro track.

Wait... I am the boss!

Last edited by pmccormick; 5 Nov 2003 at 20:55.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 20:56 (Ref:774194)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
You could create about 50 layouts at El Toro with all of those runways and taxiways....I sure would've loved to had the paving contract for that place....they made a mint

Old 5 Nov 2003, 21:13 (Ref:774212)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well, i saw an onboard lap of Dallas once, and i think the main problem was the fact some of it wasn't wide enough for two cars to pass!
Old 5 Nov 2003, 21:16 (Ref:774215)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
i would post an el toro track, but i think i'd better not for fear of this going the same way as the Options For ALMS thread.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 21:55 (Ref:774246)   #16
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Tim, maybe you should find an investor and buy him into your ideas. You could look at the statistics that they use with other races in citys ...ie the "blah blah brings 13.5 million dollars into blah blah..."

Theres gotta be a rich SOB out there somewhere that wants to put his or her name on a race!!
Old 5 Nov 2003, 22:07 (Ref:774254)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Having the $$$ is only half of the equation to make something like this work...it also would require a promoter or presenter who has some experience with presenting a racing event at that level of visibility and competiton as well....

I'm sure the promoters who hooked up with CART and the ALMS in Miami had money...(I'll let everyone else fill in the blanks)

By the way...I did look at New Orleans and couldn't find a suitable airfield that is no longer active....but I think I remember something in or around Baton Rouge or between there and Shreveport....

I've looked at LOTS of airfields lately.....

Old 5 Nov 2003, 22:10 (Ref:774260)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
But if you do have anyone with $$$ in the northeast who is a gear head, have them send me an e-mail....I'll find a promoter somewhere who can put on a race....

Old 6 Nov 2003, 03:16 (Ref:774406)   #19
pmccormick
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
The 10-mile long El Toro monster track is posted on the General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast> Fantasy tracks thread for your review...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 04:58 (Ref:774438)   #20
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh, i missed the lst alms race at tms by moving one year too late ...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 20:50 (Ref:775220)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Since it was on a Roval, you really didn't miss much....

But I do like the idea of them flying down these runways....

Now all we need is a presenter or promoter from Texas with a good track record for putting on events that will work...and the interest in going for this as a racing option...

Old 6 Nov 2003, 21:22 (Ref:775239)   #22
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so? id still love to see the cars in person the all white lmp07 was nice imo