Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Nov 2003, 17:12 (Ref:777017)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aar

After Gurney called in on windtunnel the other day do you think the AAR team and the eagle name will run in the ALMS?
Old 8 Nov 2003, 18:03 (Ref:777055)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be nice if they did
Old 8 Nov 2003, 18:41 (Ref:777082)   #3
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that would mainly depend upon their choice of engine to use, since Gurney/AAR still has their facilities in California to either build or support a chassis of their choosing.

An engine manufacturer, such as Judd, would be a good starting basis as it gets them into the series on proven footing before going with an auto manufacturer, IMHO...
Old 8 Nov 2003, 20:08 (Ref:777142)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
This would be nice, beside de Panoz and R&S another all-American prototype.

Last edited by FIRE; 8 Nov 2003 at 20:08.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 15:54 (Ref:778950)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dan Gurney has a lot of experience with a lot of different types of power....his AAR Eagle that raced in the early 1980s at Indy and in CART was extremely competitive with a Chevy stock-block engine....

His shops could do a build on a normally-aspirated 5.7L Chevy or he could do a build of the Ford block fairly cheaply on his own and create something that would have the power to compete....

Next year also would be the 40th anniversary of his class victory in the Shelby Cobra, wouldn't it??? (1963 or 1964???) and maybe there would be a klink there or through Ford????

I'd love to see him back at LM and running ALMS with an Eagle Chassis...

If I ever hit Powerball, I've written many times in the past in many related threads athat I would Hire Dan Gurney and AAR to run my program....

Hope he goes this route and drops the Don Quixotic quest to try to do an American-based F-1 program with up and coming USA drivers...that will be a money pit compared to an ALMS prototype effort...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Nov 2003, 18:01 (Ref:779050)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Tim. The F1 effort could cost him dearly. On top of that, the chances of any return on the investment are slim. Furthermore, its the kind of endeavor that could break the bank. AAR's efforts in ALMS would be a great asset to the sport. Gurney is a true inovator and sportsman.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 00:52 (Ref:780487)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I don't think anyone can start a Formula One team now, so I kind of hope Gurney doesn't still have that ambition (that said, I would love to see an American team and American driver in F1)

Having Dan the Man back in motorsports would be great. I hope it is ALMS sports cars, and I hope it does mean an Eagle at Le Mans.