Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:20 (Ref:759845)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi

Just picked a couple of bits of info about Audi, this was in todays Ouest-France.

Dr Ullrich has said that nothing has been decieded for next year and they have started work on the R9 but it doesn't exist yet and the borad haven't yet given the go ahead for it. He went on but the most likely outcome is greater assistance for our customers - Champion, Goh and Audi UK. Ullrich also said that they are speaking to several other importers about running cars. But there will be at least 3 cars out next year Champion, Goh and Audi UK.

So what does this mean in 2004, Champion could be alone (as R8 entrants) in the ALMS and Le Mans, and Audi UK and Goh should enter the LMES and Le Mans. There is rummour doing the rounds that there may also third R8 could come from Spain.

DSC also report that there were suggestions at Petit Le Mans that an R8 could be run in the ALMS by a Canadian Audi dealer.

So there you go looks like we might be stuck with the R8 for another year...........
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:28 (Ref:759858)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Canadian Audi dealer. Hmmmmmm...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:31 (Ref:759865)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed that you omitted Joest from the Audi teams for next year. Are they done with racing, moving to something else, using a different car? Maybe I missed some news about them, sorry if this is old news. Thanks for any info.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:35 (Ref:759868)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Elsewhere Joest has been rumoured to be headed to DTM. Audi got thrashed there this year, and the namesake of the Abt team passed away just this week. What Joest does in 2004 is not clear at this point.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:37 (Ref:759871)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So looks like the Audi will be around for at least another year - deep joy. I wonder just how much more development potential is in the car? Id imagine that after 2004 any improvmenets that can be made to the cars will be marginal.

Another Audi win next year? Or will the Dome's and Lister's be developed enough and up to the job of beating the privateer Audi's?
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:57 (Ref:759887)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
yeah, private and artisans should take advantage of 2004 to win at LM at least once.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 23:19 (Ref:760098)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joest are rumoured to be entering the DTM AND LMES with an R8, if they leave the ALMS. This seems possible as the R9 will be developed through 2004 in Europe, presumably with the assistance of Joest.

The Spanish Engineering Team are looking at running an R8 as mentioned above and Goh may even run 2 cars. It appears Audi UK are also eying the LMES.

The R8s had very little development in 2003 and I would imagine could still go well in 2004 with greater assistance from the the factory.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 00:43 (Ref:760148)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Joest leaves the ALMS, what does this leave for prototypes in the ALMS for 2004? Also loosing the Panoz team, unless a privateer buys the cars. Doesn't look so hot on this side of the pond at the moment in terms of prototypes.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 00:47 (Ref:760149)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes indeed, as it stands at the moment all ud have in the 900 class is the Champion Audi and a couple of R&S - and the Panoz'es if someone buys them. U know im suprised theres no Courages in the ALMS to be honest really....theres enough of them about.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 00:50 (Ref:760152)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
If Joest leaves the ALMS, what does this leave for prototypes in the ALMS for 2004? Also loosing the Panoz team, unless a privateer buys the cars. Doesn't look so hot on this side of the pond at the moment in terms of prototypes.
I've not been keeping a close eye on the ALMS recently but hears a couple of new teams plan to race LMPs in addition to the current teams.

After being starved of decent prototype racing in Europe outside of LM it seems like the LMES is starting to attract both the current FIA SCC teams, plus the likes of Goh, Audi UK, Spanish Engineering, CMS, RML, Nasamax, Rollcentre, Chamberlain, Lister, Rowan, WR, Courage etc, etc. At last Euro teams seem to actually have a series that they want to race there LMPs in, outside of LM and Sebring.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 11:11 (Ref:760530)   #11
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news.
I have a supspicion that we will see a big name entrant for '04 sometime in the new year.
LM seems ripe for a works team to come in and take over where Audi have left off. IMHO i think it'll be too big an opportunity to turn down.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:20 (Ref:760629)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
IMHO i think it'll be too big an opportunity to turn down.
Well spoted Pilgrimage : but the bets are open --> who's in ?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:49 (Ref:760915)   #13
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... Volvo said, when they dropped out of ETCC, that they would come back in major racing soon....
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:26 (Ref:761069)   #14
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, how many chassis exist for the R8?

How many were built each year?
Any ever been written off?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:07 (Ref:761186)   #15
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know the numbers, but there's actually a shortage of race-ready R8s out there. The factory has one for testing purposes, Joest has one, Goh has two, Champion has one, and Audi UK has one. That accounts for all the latest-spec Audis I think. There are several old cars (older spec) in private collections too.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:12 (Ref:761197)   #16
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Goh have two?
Did they get a new one for this years race?
Is the Joest car one of the factory cars from last year?
Is the Champion car on Ebay not race ready, then?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:32 (Ref:761224)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Goh are looking to run 2 cars in LMES depending on finance. With no factory Audis it is more likely to happen than with the factory racing as well.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:53 (Ref:761315)   #18
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
OK, how many chassis exist for the R8?

How many were built each year?
Any ever been written off?
Well, I've just checked some lists and found this information:

Chassis No. - Team
#403 - Joest 2000 LM - Johansson 2001 LM/ELMS/ALMS
#404 - Joest 2000 LM
#405 - Joest 2000 LM - Champion 2001 ALMS (sold on eBay 2003 - to private collector or team?)
#501 - Joest 2001 LM - Team Goh 2002
#502 - Joest 2001 ALMS - Champion 2001 LM
#503 - Joest 2001 LM/ALMS
#505 - Champion 2002 ALMS, 2003 LM/ALMS
#601 - Joest 2002 LM
#602 - Joest 2002 LM/ALMS - Team Goh 2003 LM
#603 - Joest 2002 LM - Audi UK 2003 LM
#604 - Joest 2003 ALMS

This gives a total of 11 cars but there are some gaps in the numbers. I've probably missed some cars.

I haven't been able to find any chassis numbers from the cars entered in ALMS 2000 but maybe someone else has them.

I guess the car Michele Alboreto drove in his fatal accident is a write off. Which one was that?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:15 (Ref:761337)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like enough for that Spanish Racing Engineering team to latch onto one, anyway....but Audi has to be guarding closely hwat is actually "available" and who, if anyone else, would get them....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:19 (Ref:761341)   #20
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438758374

is there any buyer here??
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:33 (Ref:761350)   #21
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
What the...?! It's still for sale? What are we waiting for? How about a TT Audi team for Le Mans 2004...

...Darn, no VIN #...
Old 23 Oct 2003, 23:55 (Ref:761378)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I wonder how much it would cost to convert this car to 2003 specs? If that's doable, maybe I'll buy it. lol In addition, just think about the cost in spare parts, race hauler, team infrastructure, etc.

The ad gives you some great shots at the guts of an R8 though.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:31 (Ref:762009)   #23
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke with one of the mechanics at the champoion pit at the Petit this eyear (got a tour couresy of my IMSA talk t-shirt.) He said that it has been changed from the tub out, to convert that car to 2003 specs would mean replacing almost everything aside from the tub. They had it in the pits to send with the IMSA folks to the SEMA Show. Robert
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:48 (Ref:762026)   #24
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Well spoted Pilgrimage : but the bets are open --> who's in ?
Well, it might be easier to say who we can rule out for a surprise '04 assault...

egs,

Porsche
Aston
Bentley
MG
Panoz

Was a decision or statement ever made about the return of the Japanese constructors (Toyota/ Mazda)?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:57 (Ref:762035)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
Well, it might be easier to say who we can rule out for a surprise '04 assault...

egs,

Porsche
Aston
Bentley
MG
Panoz

Was a decision or statement ever made about the return of the Japanese constructors (Toyota/ Mazda)?
I wouldn't expect any major manufactuer entries in 2004, but in 2005/6 Audi, Nissan, Mazda and Porsche are very good bets. Plus of course theres the possiblitites that road based GTS Supercars cars like the new Masarati could have the option to race in LMGTP, with some tweaks in the regs, to allow them to compete with genuine LMGTPs such as the Bentley.

The ACO have stated there will be no 'Super' GTS class and cars like the Masarati will only compete for overall wins in LMGTP. As I say, due to these cars being road based they will need bigger restrictors etc. to compete with genuine prototype LMGTPs.

Last edited by JAG; 24 Oct 2003 at 16:00.