Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:00 (Ref:810383)   #1
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you sort the wheat from the chaff?

I've been around racing for years, I love the sport and have found virtually everyone involved to be a "bit special".
I have long since learnt not to mention motor racing in my local, as it invites a debate on Formula one, or to be more precise "Schuey", everyone has an opinion and as none of us has the slightest inside knowledge it is all b'''s''t.
When talking face to face it is easy to assess credability.

My point is, how does one know how much weight to put on the opinions of anonymous contributors to ten-tenths?
Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:33 (Ref:810414)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: How do you sort the wheat from the chaff?

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenRae
My point is, how does one know how much weight to put on the opinions of anonymous contributors to ten-tenths?
A good question. I think it comes down, in many cases, to 'getting to know' them by reading their posts over a few weeks or even months. Taking a look at their profiles can help.

Anyone whose contributions carry any weight will, I believe, be happy to state the position from which their knowledge & opinions comes.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:48 (Ref:810428)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Dave is right, you have to get to 'know' the poster. Frankly if someone comes on and posts FACTS straight off they are unlikely to know anything and other members smell this and some prey on it!

Also, again frankly, anyone who is in the know posts with dignity, sense and restraint. The gems are there, but there is no shouting, just discussion.

You learn that some members talk pants all the time. Three such members I have identified are Bononi, Super Tourer and Wrex.

In some ways it is the same as when you are out in the local pub and chatting to everyone.

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Dec 2003 at 17:49.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:53 (Ref:810433)   #4
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Steve, I think the hardest thing is working out people's sense of humour and how to react. It's like laughing and then finding they were serious. Liked your comment earlier today.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 20:57 (Ref:810532)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where's my legal bod's number.....drat....I've haven't got a legal bod...just have to take it on the chin....as always - what do you mean which chin?

It's obvious....the 3rd one

Last edited by Super Tourer; 12 Dec 2003 at 20:59.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 06:34 (Ref:810780)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't talk pants ST.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 07:48 (Ref:810791)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
talking pants, such a quaint expression. When in Wales visiting 'sis and family in May, my niece informed me not to use the North American term for trousers in public--"pants" --,as for you lot, it means "underwear". My sister also warned me not to mention my camera "fannypack" (one of those clip on packs that fits around your waist, above ones fanny, or bottom, rearend etc etc) as for you lot, fanny means something else and I was bound to get odd looks if I mentioned my fannypack in public......

So, here are some comments from some git that Stephen doesn't know, making unconfirmed comments about this and that. Have to agree completely with the previous comments though. I wouldn't know DaveBrand nor Mallett from a hole in the wall, but having read of their actual racing experience and knowledge of this that and whatever, I think I can tell just how many grains of salt I have to take with theirs, and other members statements and/or opinions.

I think common sense is the key item to use, as in real life.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 12:16 (Ref:810897)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was funny the way people thought Racingdick knew what he was talking about. He was just some lad that went to pembrey quite often and was doing work experience at a clio team and he thought he knew all about what was 'really' going on.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 12:38 (Ref:810906)   #9
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Thanks all for the comments. I think DjB's advice on the grain of salt approach is valid. The problem I now have is remembering what I thought of the views of contributors in the past.
I have a cunning plan!
How about, in the 'Author' column, having an area where the reader can append his or her own opinion of the contributor. Maybe a points system, where 1= always talks c''p and perhaps 10= look and learn.
Ten-Tenths could take this further, this information could be fed back to the contributor, who would then become a better person !!!
Old 13 Dec 2003, 12:41 (Ref:810909)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehehe, credibility? We're having fun here anyway, credibility comes second, if not lower.

Obviously the bias plays a bigger role here, at 1010ths. It's up to each member capability to extract useful and unbiased information from the posts.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 00:15 (Ref:811297)   #11
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks all for the comments. I think DjB's advice on the grain of salt approach is valid. The problem I now have is remembering what I thought of the views of contributors in the past.
I have a cunning plan!
How about, in the 'Author' column, having an area where the reader can append his or her own opinion of the contributor. Maybe a points system, where 1= always talks c''p and perhaps 10= look and learn.
Ten-Tenths could take this further, this information could be fed back to the contributor, who would then become a better person !!!
That's an interesting idea, but it's too open to personal bias and prejudice, and first impressions aren't always the most accurate. Plus you're not always going to agree with one person's viewpoint.

A case in point, how do we know you're not on here just to stir things up and cause trouble after a mere 19 posts? See what I mean? I could very easily decide you were up to no good and put a low rating on everything I read of yours, as could anyone else, but I would say luckily the majority of members are more open-minded than that.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 08:26 (Ref:811438)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most of us wouldn't get past, er sorry up to, one!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:09 (Ref:811581)   #13
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Thats very perseptive of you Maisie, much of my life has been dogged by 'personal bias and prejudice'and not all of it mine.
Anyone who knows me will confirm that I have never been one for making waves, so I'll just have to settle for a private little black book of my own.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 09:07 (Ref:813778)   #14
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gues "getting to know" the poster is the only way of judging his/her comments. And, again, as David allready sad, looking at somebody's profile helps too.

P.S. Stephen, I like your 'biography'
Old 21 Dec 2003, 17:45 (Ref:817535)   #15
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ljakse
I gues "getting to know" the poster is the only way of judging his/her comments. And, again, as David allready sad, looking at somebody's profile helps too.

P.S. Stephen, I like your 'biography'
I have known Steve for about 30 years and have just met up with him in a pub earlier this afternoon. We talked about TT and he mentioned having started this thread. I have just checked his profile and "average FF1600 racer" doesn't cover it. This year he has led races, been on the podium twice and finished fourth in a championship. He has been about for years, has worked all over the world in the sport and is a very talented engineer etc. How many of you out there have designed and built your own FF1600 car? He has also made a Sports 2000.
These kind words are meant to stop him having a go at me on other threads - but probably won't.

'A mere 19 posts', as somebody mentioned. I only discovered TT in October and a few newish members are now with us as a result of my recommendation.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 18:55 (Ref:817583)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah! that Rae!

Guys I found this place by accident when there were only a few of us. I race but I'm nowhere near the level that some on this board aspire and achieve.

However the depth of knowledge is sometimes astounding. Have a dip into the Historic forum to see what I mean. There's even a lot of brains displayed in the F1 forum once you get past JPM is God!
Old 21 Dec 2003, 22:33 (Ref:817692)   #17
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, not that Rae.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 00:27 (Ref:817804)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spaeaking personally, I assume everyone is joking unless I've got very good evidence otherwise, and even then I resolve not to be offended as they probably didn't mean to phrase it that way. I do try to help in my posts with punctuation

Any opinion I state is just that, and open to being proved wrong. Any fact I give out is also liable to being corrected and if anyone can do so, then I've learned something.

I suspect another guide may be how anonymous the person is. If I do inadvertantly offend anyone, I'm easy to identify! And djb, we have met, and it was a pleasure talking to you.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 16:30 (Ref:820803)   #19
Two K
Rookie

Two K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings to all ! I'm somewhat new to the F-1 racing deal , and even more so to this forum . I'm not one to B.S. anyone , and hail from the States , so I'll read what all of you have to say and try to learn from what you say . Keep the comedic stuff to a maximum , and we'll all get along just fine . Don't ask me what I think about a certain driver or team , because I don't know much yet . (I haven't read everything each of you has said yet) . I haven't been to jolly old England since '88 , but will gladly join you in raising a pint to Her (or anything else , for that matter !). Just tell me what time and day !
Old 26 Dec 2003, 17:05 (Ref:820813)   #20
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, Two K!
Welcome!
With that attitude you're gonna make plenty of friends here!!!

Old 26 Dec 2003, 23:38 (Ref:820978)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 18:00 (Ref:821914)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
... as for you lot, fanny means something else and I was bound to get odd looks if I mentioned my fannypack in public......
Are you certain that the simple act of wearing a fannypack in public wasn't the cause for those looks?

Honestly Mr Rae, most of us here are fans only, some hvae racing experience to draw upon, but I find that people who read alot and form their own opinions based in the current knowledge and a reasoned reading of rumour are the ones to trust. it takes time to find out who they are. Also, having some one post "I was wrong" goes a long way toward increasing my respect.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:11 (Ref:822326)   #23
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(er, it was a camera one, not a ski-patrol looking one,
so "phlftt" -strawberry- sound. oh, and Happy almost NewYears monsieur E)
Old 29 Dec 2003, 11:17 (Ref:822490)   #24
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Enthused by the illuminating comments on this thread I'm going to start another one in "other single seaters".
Hello Two K......your mention of F1 inspired this thread.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 10:37 (Ref:836419)   #25
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
how does one know how much weight to put on the opinions of anonymous contributors to ten-tenths?
By accepting the fact that my post are always right, unbiased and increadbly intelegent