Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Dec 2003, 14:55 (Ref:821838)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Williams FW26 - new car, or "evolution"?

Does anyone know what direction Williams have taken with the FW26?

Have they constructed a whole new car, or have they done a heavily revised version of the FW25?

Do they plan to use the FW25 for the first races?
Old 28 Dec 2003, 15:05 (Ref:821841)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am sure that Williams' plan at the moment is to use the FW26 from Melbourne. I would be surprised if this changes.

As for the direction of development. Other than it will be somewhere between a whole new radical car and a small development of the 25 I have no idea!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:08 (Ref:822041)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is quite difficult to say. I would imagine it will be a heavy evolution, if there is such a thing.

Maybe Williams will be wary of just evolving the car......2002's car turned out to be not enough of a step. But if they introduced an all new car, they could have another bad start to the season.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 03:32 (Ref:822230)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be a heavy evolution.

It's just my feeling because FW25 is great car, maybe the best car since 2003 Canada GP. And Sir Frank or Patrick Head never talks about an all new car like in the end of 2002 season.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 03:56 (Ref:822242)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2003 FW24 at the start of the season was a woofer.. but they redesigned some of the aero, and it got a lot better.

But it still seems to burn its Michelins, which is a disadvantage it doesnt share with the McLaren.

I would think a major revision will be in place, a step forward, to take the load away from the tyres, so they can choose softs and not hards on occassion...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 12:08 (Ref:822521)   #6
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't remember the date of the launch last year for the FW25, but it isn't as early as this one. (5th Jan I think for FW26).

I think every team will introduce `new' cars this year as its the first time they have had chance to build a car with the new qual rules in place and lack of time on race day.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 05:15 (Ref:823253)   #7
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. The FW25 was launched on 31th Jan (cmiiw).
Old 30 Dec 2003, 06:01 (Ref:823278)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Double Up

Last edited by GTRMagic; 30 Dec 2003 at 06:02.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 06:02 (Ref:823279)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What constitutes a "new car" anyway... arguably the variations on the McLaren MP4-17 all the way out to 'D' specification suggest that there would be grounds for calling them MP4-18 at some stage??

They nailed something like 9 tubs together in the MP4-17 guise, with various diffusers, noses, sidepods, bargeboards etc etc...

Same as Williams in that regard... it got a haircut a few times thru the season... but was still called an FW24.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 08:49 (Ref:823357)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is the definition of a 'new' car, one that uses a completely different monocoque?

As for William's, I think an evolved chassis. PH has recognised that insufficient 'knowledge' of their new concept this season, effectively cost them the championship whilst they got to grips with learning about and developing the car.

They need to be on the button from race 1 - so a heavily revised option, rather than evolution is probably the right option.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 14:47 (Ref:823617)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you lined up all the teams cars side by side, and painted them all white, I think most of us would be hard pressed to pick out who's car is who's.

Looks wise, there's nothing really new about a new car, as opposed to an evolutionary one. Today they are all pretty much cooky-cutter cars, nothing really revolutionary going on like in the older cars. On the mechanical side though, there are still alot of new things going on.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Dec 2003, 11:23 (Ref:824451)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
If you lined up all the teams cars side by side, and painted them all white, I think most of us would be hard pressed to pick out who's car is who's.

Looks wise, there's nothing really new about a new car, as opposed to an evolutionary one. Today they are all pretty much cooky-cutter cars, nothing really revolutionary going on like in the older cars. On the mechanical side though, there are still alot of new things going on.
Can't go along with that at all - I guess you must have missed the massive difference between the outgoing and incoming McLarens? Or the radically different Williams last year, with its shorter wheelbase and cut-away rear end. Or how about the revolutionary F2002? - when that car came out we'd not seen anything like it... tiny compared to the competition. Granted, we don't get six wheelers and the like any more - but there is still plenty of innovation if you look closely.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 21:56 (Ref:824804)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could be right Glen.

I was comparing the old days of the 70's and 80's when there was real crazy designs being tried. Today the differences are subtle at most.

Danica Patrick