Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jan 2004, 14:17 (Ref:830538)   #1
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumors and facts of WPS

Where to begin on this one, oh boy!

Okay a financial planning company wants to go V8 racing. They have sponsored Charlie O'Briens GT3 for a short period before sponsoring the Noske's Falcon for the remaining few V8 rounds of '03. Right so far? There was then a rumored deal that the Noske's had secured this sponsor for '04 and had given them enough money to run a 2-car team, I think. Then it went sour, the Noske's plans as I understand them are business as usuall leasing the 2nd half of the level 1 LRT/GMR licence for a 1 car, currently insponsored TNR entry with Mark Noske at the wheel. This is where things get confussing.

WPS still want to go V8 racing, but not with the Noske's! No, insted they pick Charlie O'Brien to drive in a new team with the ex-PWR L2 licence!?

People in the know out there, answer me this...
Who will own and run this team?
Is this deal for real?
Is this a joke?
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 7 Jan 2004, 14:19 (Ref:830541)   #2
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, and what the hell has this "Gore" fella got to do with all of this? I've seen his name linked with subjects to do this LRT/GMR, TNR and WPS...!?
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 7 Jan 2004, 20:42 (Ref:830891)   #3
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not Libby Gore AKA Elle McFeast?????
Old 7 Jan 2004, 21:33 (Ref:830932)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Gore owns WPS. Craig Gore to be precise. One of the partners in the Atkinson Gore property development company. One of the many business ventures undertaken by the operators was the sale of tea tree plantations designed for accelerating tax deductability around June each year

Mr Gore, or at least one of his companies, has purchased an option, and ultimately scheduled to take delivery, of both 00 BA Falcons from 2004.

The original discussions revolved around LRT & TNR forming a 2 car team, running both Falcons, in the VCS in WPS colours.

It seems Mr Gore didnt get the deal done with LRT for whatever reason, nor with TNR. There was a need for one or both parties to bring additional budget to the table in these teams, on top of the WPS dollars, which may have been the stumbling block.

Mr O'Brien introduced WPS to TNR for Indy and beyond, and it seems a proposal may have been put together to run a separate WPS Falcon team with Mr O'Brien in charge of preparation and supposedly sharing the driving duties, based in Qld, and possibly prepared by Mr Williamson's operation.

It is likely to end up in the single car team scenario, with discussions that the PWR L2 has been leased to that team for 2004 with an option to buy for 2005.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Jan 2004, 08:05 (Ref:832402)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this actaully happening or is it a load of dog's ********?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:15 (Ref:833331)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't mind these pointless ramblings if they make no sense...

But is Craig Gore related to Mike Gore, the Gold Coast property developer who put together places like Sanctuary Cove. Now the O'Briens own(ed) a great deal of land on the Gold Coast, which has been developed over the years. Could this be some 6 degrees of seperation thing?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:35 (Ref:833345)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They do make sense, and yes Craig Gore is Mike Gore's son... whose property development company Atkinson Gore group has put together a lot of areas around Rhodes Island together....

So this could indeed have been where the link started off... then got WPS on Charlie's return to motorsport in the Porsche... then to Noske's Falcon, then to the 00 Falcon purchase with Charlie running a team...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:56 (Ref:837717)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To the best of the experts' knowledge, is this a dead horse or is it just laying low ready for the surprise attack??
Old 16 Jan 2004, 06:10 (Ref:839992)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Check out the first stages of the website at www.wps.net.au
Old 16 Jan 2004, 06:49 (Ref:840010)   #10
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Mr C. Gore a former bankrupt? If so, should he be involved with a company offering financial advice ?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 06:52 (Ref:840011)   #11
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes GTR, i did that. Now how do i get further? :confused: Second question; is there anything of interest further on?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:52 (Ref:840036)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
To answer MHDT first... its what I read in the newspaper too...

And pete55, there is no further...
Old 4 Feb 2004, 08:24 (Ref:862327)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hmmm, anything you might like to share Mark???

Fresh off the Supercar site,
Attached Thumbnails
mn.jpg  
Old 4 Feb 2004, 08:57 (Ref:862355)   #14
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very interesting !
Old 4 Feb 2004, 10:04 (Ref:862397)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sure is, except they forgot the second car, for lead driver Dave Besnard. Wonder if they can get #24 from the Bapster to make the cars a pigeon pair??
Old 4 Feb 2004, 10:32 (Ref:862425)   #16
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What numbers would the 2 supposed Konica cars run under. Going on franchise No's the Besnard car would have to be 43.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 21:26 (Ref:867442)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am now wondering about the 'new' WPS team. Noise around suggests there will be 2 cars operated here, with separate liveries for each, ala SBR, with some cross branding to some extent.

What concerns me is the chat Mr Stone did last week, where the SBR operation will continue with the separate liveries. I was of the impression after Bathurst that the plan was for this team to run the same sponsor package and design on both the #1 and #9 cars.

I now am led to believe that the 2nd 'WPS' car to be driven by Dave Besnard will be largely supported by one of the major sponsors on the SBR cars.

Here's hoping thats not true!

Here's hoping that the inability of that sponsor to increase funding support to SBR to have the 2 cars the same wasnt caused by the support of this other vehicle.

Given past history of this sponsor, it wouldnt be surprising.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 22:31 (Ref:867504)   #18
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, so now things are making sense to me! To cut a long story short for you guys, I was talking to a guy that just moved down this way from the Gold Coast and he was telling me a story which didn't make any sense to me. He was saying a mate of his was painting the workshop for the guy that bought the whole 00 Motorsport set up. Apparently this guy had bought the lot, cars, truck, lathes and machinary. I thought this guy was pipe dreaming and didn't think anything of it. So thats probably what was going on
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:36 (Ref:867567)   #19
Glennc
Rookie

Glennc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading between the lines of the posts (above) Seems as if WPS are active in Queensland. Can anyone confirm or add to this?

Anyway my point is ... Tony Noske Racing (2003) were based in Melbourne (Breaside), does this mean the team will relocate to sunny QLD?

If so, what happens with the staff / spanners / engineers? Surly not all of them will relocate their families / lives to QLD for a team that hasn't been stable with sponsorship funds.

Look out for employment oportunities for WPS in Queensland if your looking for work in the motorsport game

Comments?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:43 (Ref:867577)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I hear what you are saying loud and clear Glennc... and at this stage of the season, to pull together enough people and resources to do the job properly, its all a bit late...

... and being so late, any other options will also likely have dried up as well..