Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jan 2004, 04:43 (Ref:854624)   #1
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America in 2004!!!!!

RA is BACK!!!!

More to follow.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:04 (Ref:854637)   #2
Mags
Veteran

Road America and OWRS Reach Agreement for '04

Champ Cars Will Headline Grand Prix of Road America Aug. 5-8

Elkhart Lake, Wisc., Jan. 28, 2004—Road America and the Open Wheel Racing Series (OWRS) reached an agreement this evening to hold the 23rd consecutive Champ Car race at the historic race track the weekend of Aug. 5-8, 2004 during the Grand Prix of Road America., according to George Bruggenthies, president and general manager.

"We've reached an agreement for the 2004 Champ Car race," said George Bruggenthies, president and general manager. "We're delighted that fans can start making summer racing plans that include both Road America and Champ Cars in August." Terms of

the one-year contract were not disclosed.

Other series slated to compete during the Grand Prix weekend include Motorock Trans-Am Tour for the BF Goodrich Cup, Toyota Atlantic, a Barber Dodge Pro Series Doubleheader and Formula BMW.

Road America had objected to CART selling its contract in violation of the stipulation that said neither party could sell or transfer the document. "Our position has never been against hosting a Champ Car race," said Bruggenthies. "Our concern was the uncertainty about the event because of CART's bankruptcy. We're very happy to be a part of Champ Car's 2004 schedule and look forward to seeing the teams and drivers at Road America in August."

OWRS acquired the assets of the bankrupt series during proceedings held in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division earlier today. Season Tickets for the race track are $250, and include 30 race days of the public weekends at Road America. The Grand Prix of Road America tickets are $115 in advance for the four-day weekend, or the daily rate after July 28, 2004. For more information or to order tickets online, visit www.roadamerica.com or call 1.800.365.7223 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. central time zone.

Previous race winners include Hector Rebaque ('82), Mario Andretti ('83, '84, '87),

Jacques Villeneuve ('85), Emerson Fittipaldi ('86, '88, '92), Danny Sullivan ('89), Michael

Andretti ('90, '91, '96), Paul Tracy ('93, '00) Jacques Villeneuve ('94, '95), Alex Zanardi,

('97), Dario Franchitti ('98), Christian Fittipaldi ('99), Bruno Junqueira ('01, '03), Christiano Da Matta ('02).

Road America began hosting races on the four-mile race track in 1955 and will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2005.

"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:15 (Ref:854641)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, it looks like things are moving along at a quick pace. This is great news and I can't wait to hear more of it in the days to come. I can't believe we're discussing what's going to be taking place on the track instead of the business side of the sport....thank God, it's about time! Thanks for keeping us up to date, Mags!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:23 (Ref:854643)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damm right Dov. Some annoucements are beginning already, and Laguna will likely follow tomorrow. Today has been a total victory, and thank god we've got some venues and racing to begin talking about again. I can finally ditch the suit and lawyer sitting next to me.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:53 (Ref:854659)   #5
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Damn, it looks like things are moving along at a quick pace. This is great news and I can't wait to hear more of it in the days to come. I can't believe we're discussing what's going to be taking place on the track instead of the business side of the sport....thank God, it's about time! Thanks for keeping us up to date, Mags!
Dov, did I tell you I love you?
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:57 (Ref:854662)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From Dov...
I can't believe we're discussing what's going to be taking place on the track instead of the business side of the sport....thank God, it's about time!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:21 (Ref:854884)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is getting BETTER and BETTER and BETTER! Road America, I can't wait to see this. Maybe one day I'll be able to travel to the US to see some of the great races first hand.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:23 (Ref:854888)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's no surprise. IMO RA were just worried about the bid. Now that OWRS have won and are fully committed to bringing CART to all and sundry, they now want a race. Watch venues start lining up to host races...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 12:50 (Ref:855089)   #9
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to talk to the boss about vacation plans.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:855147)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Dov, did I tell you I love you?
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:20 (Ref:855279)   #11
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question? Was Mario's deal with RA for 2 years? I seem to remember that for some reason.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:55 (Ref:855325)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't remember, but if it was, it wouldn't matter, because the contract was with CART, not OWRS. RA's issue was transferring the same contract to OWRS, they felt if it was a different company, they should be able to choose whether or not to run with OWRS, or at least have the option of renegotiating the contract.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:06 (Ref:855343)   #13
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, anyway, like Michael Jackson says, "I'll Be There"
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:48 (Ref:855383)   #14
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't remember, but if it was, it wouldn't matter, because the contract was with CART, not OWRS. RA's issue was transferring the same contract to OWRS, they felt if it was a different company, they should be able to choose whether or not to run with OWRS, or at least have the option of renegotiating the contract.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:51 (Ref:855386)   #15
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
uhhh...oops, double post, although it spaced it out over another post? weird....
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:38 (Ref:855538)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a 1 year deal. They obviously want to work with OWRS else they would not have signed. So lets work with them, see how it goes this year and hopefully extend the deal going forward. Remember, lets not make any mistake of the past, lets work WITH people and tracks.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:59 (Ref:855577)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Well, great news. Road America is my favourite race on the calendar, great track.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 00:46 (Ref:855839)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice to see that the forum can bring two people together. ...And I don't mean RA and OWRS.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 00:59 (Ref:855848)   #19
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Nice to see that the forum can bring two people together. ...And I don't mean RA and OWRS.
And now Laguna is on track!!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 02:38 (Ref:855902)   #20
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
suzmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you talking about Mags expressing her love for Dov...hey that rhymes!!

It's only natural for an to love her boss!!

Sue
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:08 (Ref:855947)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a semi-related topic, I was thinking how interesting it was that three of the most prominant members of this forum are women. It's rare to see women involved in a very male dominated interest.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:18 (Ref:855953)   #22
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
In a semi-related topic, I was thinking how interesting it was that three of the most prominant members of this forum are women. It's rare to see women involved in a very male dominated interest.

Not only am I DOMINANT.. (just ask my ex) I am also a Glider Pilot, Glider Pilot instructor, Private Pilot.. and as you know media for racing... I love the sport. I am also a Service Manager. I could diagnose your car troubles better than most men..

I got into this whole thing as a total fluke. I thank the Racing Gods for it. It was the greatest day IN MY LIFE that I was indroduced to CHAMPCARS and the smell of methenol in the morning....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:21 (Ref:855954)   #23
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
People at my work think I am crazy for being so interested in it. They can't even keep the racing series straight!! They keep telling me that I like NASCAR and I have to keep correcting them!! I am training them to know the difference but it's tough!! They sure know who Patrick Carpentier is though...his pictures are plastered all over my fax machine and in my locker!!

Sue
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:22 (Ref:855955)   #24
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
Mags I want to be like you when I grow up!! I know alot of stuff but nothing compared to you!!

Sue
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:27 (Ref:855958)   #25
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, happy day
looking forward to it