Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:21 (Ref:856638)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everything you never wanted to know about open-wheel feud

I just updated my website with an article about the open-wheel feud. It is a fairly lengthy article, but I think I did a fair job in describing all of the major things that has led us to where we are today, starting in the 70's before CART was even started. Please let me know what you guys think, I literally stayed up all night writing, and researching some stuff to make sure my facts and dates were correct. Anyways, enjoy.

www.jeremyspiering.com - main site
www.jeremyspiering.com/column.html - OWRS vs. IRL article
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:32 (Ref:856731)   #2
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, SurfaceUnits...
But we've been through alot lately, and I think that there is a collective sigh of relief around here that we no longer need to bring up TG's name. The courts are over, and he has absolutely nothing to do with ChampCars anymore. And finally this is what we can talk about - ChampCars!
-Macdaddy

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 Jan 2004 at 19:10.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 23:47 (Ref:857012)   #3
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know...I think I've heard enough about it to last me...well, for ever and ever.

If you want the short version, "What was the split all about? Answer: $$$$

Still, that said, some people might like to bone up about it.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 02:39 (Ref:857130)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never wanted to know anything about them. Take it to the Other Side!

We have the Right Currency here. Let's keep it rolling!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 03:12 (Ref:857151)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Most of the people on this forum know that I hate TG with as much passion as the guys at CW, but I am SO tired of hearing his name all the time! Who cares about TG, the Indy 500 and the IRL! The CCWS has a future and it's a bright one. The 3 men at OWRS have a plan to take CC back to it's glory days and I want to be the first one in line to get on this ride! If you want to talk about TG from now on, I suggest you head to the IRL forum!(IMHO)
Old 31 Jan 2004, 03:52 (Ref:857178)   #6
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, for one, thought JJ did a commendable job...it showed a lot of work and research on BOTH the IRL AND OWRS.
It's all part of OW history, folks, whether we like it or not.
Congrats, JJ!
I think you deserve a pat on the back for your hard work...not put downs, IMO!

Last edited by MLM; 31 Jan 2004 at 03:55.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:12 (Ref:857192)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you MLM, jj did quite a job on that article, and if your going to post on it, you can at least it give it a read! JJ is probably the biggest Champ Car fan here.

Its the very attitude shown in this thread, that chases potential fans away, and for all your talk lately, Liz, will keep Champ Cars from ever being the big show you say you want it to be.

Last edited by GP Racer; 31 Jan 2004 at 04:14.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:22 (Ref:857196)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I appreciate the effort jj put into the article and we all know he's a huge fan of CC, but some of us feel it's time to stop worrying what TG thinks or what his next move is. Right now I only care what OWRS' next move is! It's time to forget TG and let CC be our only focus!

Last edited by Dov; 31 Jan 2004 at 04:28.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:29 (Ref:857198)   #9
SurfaceUnits
Racer

Baloney, last week was one battle in a long coming war. When someone else is bidding on LB and RA and possibly running there next year, you will have to pull your heads out of the clouds and face reality.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:33 (Ref:857200)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Maybe you should change your signature from "Let's Go Racing!" to "Let's Constantly Worry About TG!"....... Btw, that (only) one battle you speak of just happened two days and a few hours ago....

Last edited by Dov; 31 Jan 2004 at 04:37.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:35 (Ref:857203)   #11
SurfaceUnits
Racer

I don't worry, I have fun.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:43 (Ref:857204)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
It doesn't seem that way to me. It appears that your already worried about what's going to happen to CC in 1-2 years from now. All WE need to do is support CC as we have always done and let OWRS worry about TG!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:34 (Ref:857227)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the hard work, jj, and thanks for sharing it with us. Sorry your thread went the way it did. I enjoyed the read, well-done!

And... Perhaps you're having "too much fun", SurfaceUnits. I've editted too many of your posts on this forum in the last two days or so.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:39 (Ref:857312)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jj the read was a good one, I think it's a good history lesson.

Frankly, the IRL crowd has had it's 15 minutes of fame in this forum, all we are is fans who want to get on with our own series, Champcar.
Whether we face challenges from the IRL, Football, F1, NASCAR, the point is we have to concentrate on our own thing. And Champcar faces just as many challenges from non-IRL things, like the economy, then it does from the IRL. The concerned fan act, mentioning TG just to get a rise has gone far enough.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:13 (Ref:857420)   #15
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, not exactly the reaction I was expecting from the champcar forum. Interesting how my pro Champcar article was received quite well in the IRL forum and somewhat trashed in Champcar forum. It was not my intention to get attention by mentioning TG's name, in fact most of my article was written about pre-TG times. It isn't an article about TG at all like some of you seem to have thought by your posts. Did you even read the article before posting? It was for the most part objective article outlining the history of IMS dating back to 1909, and how the 500 was revived in 1946 after WWII when it hadn't been raced in 4 years by Tony Hulman, who later helped found USAC after AAA dropped sanctioning rights of all auto racing events. The article then outlines some of the stuff that caused Penske and other team owners to form CART and break away from USAC after Hulman died. I then discussed CART, and eventually IRL when it came into the picture. And at the end of article it became less objective and became an editorial of why I am glad the court proceedings turned out the way they did, and what I hope to see happen in the future.