Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim McGee Rejoins Newman/Haas

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/10045/

Jim McGee Rejoins Newman/Haas
Written by: RACER staff
Lincolnshire, Ill. – 3/3/2004

Jim McGee, one of the most successful team managers or chief mechanics in Champ or Indy car history, has returned to Newman/Haas Racing in the new role of director of special operations. McGee served as team manager for NHR in 1993 and 1994 while Mario Andretti and Nigel Mansell drove for the team and Mansell won the series championship (1993).

"Motor racing is changing, and we need to make the best of the new opportunities being presented to us," said Carl Haas, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing with Paul Newman. "Jim McGee will add to our ability to maximize these opportunities."

Most recently McGee served as general manager for Patrick Racing since 1995. The Patrick team has now ceased operations.

With 45 years of experience in the racing industry, McGee has amassed the most victories by a manager/chief mechanic with 90. His record also includes four Indianapolis 500 titles and nine series championships -- including one of Newman/Haas' four to date (Mansell '93).

"For me, this is like coming home," said McGee. "The years I spent with Newman/Haas Racing were two of the best, most enjoyable years I have had as a team manager in racing. We had a lot of success and fun along the way. Carl Haas and Paul Newman are probably the best car owners that I have been associated with over all of my years in racing and many of the people I respect and enjoy working with are at Newman/Haas Racing. I feel that Carl has always been able to pick the best drivers in the business and to me that was a real factor in my decision. Bruno Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais are top caliber drivers and it's with great pleasure that I'm returning to the team. I look forward to many years of success here."
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:17 (Ref:892897)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Glad to see McGee is staying empolyeed in Champcars. Newman/Haas is once again going to be the team to beat IMO.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:19 (Ref:892900)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like NewmanHaas are going from strength to strength.
Solid organization only getting better. PT and Forsythe sure have their work cut out for them.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:45 (Ref:892925)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Jim McGee Rejoins Newman/Haas

Quote:
director of special operations.
new opportunities
All sounds a bit weird to me :confused: I've no idea what this new role is, but good luck to him whatever it turns out to be How old is Jim, incidentally?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:49 (Ref:892983)   #5
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Glad to see McGee is staying empolyeed in Champcars. Newman/Haas is once again going to be the team to beat IMO.

I agree. That team is solid with two talented drivers. I believe that Sebastian Bourdais will be the CCWS champ in 2004. This dude can race, and with the learning experience from last year, he will be more consistent and pick the spots for taking a chance with better judgement. I know that Bruno is the unofficial #1 seat on that team, but watch out for SeaBass!
Old 4 Mar 2004, 00:17 (Ref:893013)   #6
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had forgotten McGee was with N-H.
Interesting news...thanks, Dov!