Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:50 (Ref:896204)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Colin McRae 4 'Best Stage Times'

Could we use this thread for CM4 fans to post there best times on any of the stages. I realise there is an offiical Codemasters League but many of the times are faked.

If you post times, please state the car as well.

It is just as enjoyable trying to set the best S1600 time on a stage as it is the best overall stage time.

It would also be usefull if players could comment on the set-up they use. For example I noticed on the CM4 thread someone complaing how they were very slow on the Greece stage. I had the same problem until I released what a huge difference a soft supension set-up, and high ride height can make.

I will put up a few times tommorow.

And please do not put fake times up. Once you know what time is possible on a stage, it is suprising how you can knock seconds of your best time with practice.

I hope others will use this thread, as it is a much more enjoable game when you have a genuine time to aim for, rather than just competing against yourself

Last edited by JAG; 6 Mar 2004 at 19:53.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:11 (Ref:897922)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, I'll give it a go.

I'm rubbish at it, as I haven't played it in ages. I'll try it tonight and put some times tommorrow.

I probably use the 2wd cars anyway, nice and slow for me.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 19:13 (Ref:898396)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My will be up soon.

My PS2 is playing up!!!!!!!
Old 9 Mar 2004, 09:15 (Ref:899139)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'll put some up as well (I am appallingly bad though - too much sideways not enough forwards)

For a quick blast the super specials are great fun - if anybody has found a good setup for the US one then please let me know, I'm always struggling for grip around there.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 20:16 (Ref:899888)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
I'll put some up as well (I am appallingly bad though - too much sideways not enough forwards)

For a quick blast the super specials are great fun - if anybody has found a good setup for the US one then please let me know, I'm always struggling for grip around there.
Choose the tyres that perfectly match the surface.

Run the softest suspension setting and try raising the ride height a little. Very low gearing also helps. You should get much better grip levels.

If you are getting understeer, try changing the brake balance and roll bar. It can help a lot, if you are having trouble getting the nose to turn in.

For Greece and the US being precise is the way to get a good time

Last edited by JAG; 9 Mar 2004 at 20:21.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:15 (Ref:900622)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The trouble with the US super special is that it's a wide mix of surfaces - if I get good grip on one section I get apalling grip on another. I tend to drop the gear ratio but then it does max out on the quicker part of the stage. Brake balance is always as far back as possible - I tend to corner very sideways! It's the only way to drive

I'll give the roll bar a tweak and see if that makes a difference, I've never really noticed it's impact on the setup though.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:40 (Ref:901191)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
Roll bar makes a big difference.

For the mixed surfaces, choose the tyre that suits the stage the best, i.e the highest %.

You just have to be careful with the accelerator when you do not have much grip. driving sideways is not always the quickest!

Personally I hate the Greece and US stages.

Finalnd, Sweden, Spain and the UK are much more enjoyable.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 12:12 (Ref:901852)   #8
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about a sort of structure to this challenge?

One UK rally. Any car, post your best stage times. You can either do individual stages or the whole rally.

What do you think?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 15:08 (Ref:902048)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I'm up for that - I'm not overly fond of the UK rally but I've got a spare 1/2 hour tonight so I'll rip through a couple of stages (I'm fully expecting to be the slowest - I just don't play it enough).

Maybe we should all use similar cars (at least from the same group) so the times are vaguely comparable - someone in the Audi will absolutely wipe the floor with the Punto!
(I'll use a WRC for these stages)
Old 11 Mar 2004, 15:45 (Ref:902072)   #10
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Or split it into classes. WRC and SS1600. No bonus or GrpB cars?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 18:04 (Ref:902200)   #11
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't played the championship far enough to get to the UK Rally. For the challenge, should everyone run the same damage settings? Can you use upgrade parts??

What view do you guys use whilst driving? In racing games past I always used the trailing camera (just behind the car), because I felt clausterphobic if I used the in-car view. But I just got a massive 65" widescreen TV, and when I use the in-car view it is pretty much lifesize, and a ton more fun to drive...
Old 11 Mar 2004, 19:13 (Ref:902261)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
How about the first stage of each rally. Arn't these available even if you have not unlocked the whole rally.

Personally I will post times with a WRC, S1600 and Grp b for each stage time I post.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 19:18 (Ref:902272)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
I haven't played the championship far enough to get to the UK Rally. For the challenge, should everyone run the same damage settings? Can you use upgrade parts??

What view do you guys use whilst driving? In racing games past I always used the trailing camera (just behind the car), because I felt clausterphobic if I used the in-car view. But I just got a massive 65" widescreen TV, and when I use the in-car view it is pretty much lifesize, and a ton more fun to drive...
For time trial you just use the standard car with no upgrades.

The in-car view is the best IMO. CM4, like the Gran Turismo games handles realistically, with all 4 wheels modelled accurately, unlike previous CM games were the car pivoted on a central axis.

Damge setting don't really matter with a one-off stage.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:27 (Ref:911894)   #14
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Colin McRae 4, I have have the xbox version with xbox live but I can never upload my times on to the live score board, It always with a message about a "database error" anyone else get this?