Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:03 (Ref:911341)   #1
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OWRS to sue IRL???

Now this is something, OWRS rumored to sue the IRL for the recent defections. Maybe it is time for OWRS to flex a little muscle and show Tony we've had enough.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:16 (Ref:911348)   #2
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Welcome Cowboy and the fillies in the stable!

Where is this rumour from? Just curious, as a rumour is simply that. IMO OWRS needs to keep moving forward and forget about the judicial process regarding the defections and the IRL. The past cannot be changed, control how the future is approached by learing from the past. That is what OWRS must do to survive. I have enjoyed catching up on the posts from the last two weeks - the best that I have read are from the long time posters - that is: see ya in Long Beach, what is CCWS, is going to be there regardless of car count or what your name is. Fans will ultimately determine the survival of any racing series (outside of club racing).
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:22 (Ref:911353)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: OWRS to sue IRL???

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy
Now this is something, OWRS rumored to sue the IRL for the recent defections. Maybe it is time for OWRS to flex a little muscle and show Tony we've had enough.
Hi Cowboy,
I would love to sue the pants of TG, Honda and Toyota for collusion, but I think it would be darn near impossible to prove it in a court of law and can you imagine how much it would cost OWRS in lawyer(s) fees!? They need all that money right now just to keep ChampCars afloat! On the other hand, if OWRS did follow through with it and they won, the CCWS would be significantly in much better shape. That said, I'd be really surprised if they went through with it......
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:26 (Ref:911354)   #4
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Yes I agree it is just a rumour that I got from Cart Rock.com's front page. I also agree with you that OWRS needs to move forward but I have never agreed with the underhanded way that TG operates. I beleive he is the type of fella that will push OWRS until they push back. Yes, a lawsuit is a bit drastic because it always brings with it bad press but maybe the threat and the threat alone can send a message that enough is enough.
I am not trying to start anything racinthestreets, I just figured that I'd throw out the rumour I just read to try and get some validity for it.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:28 (Ref:911355)   #5
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Hey racinthestreets, how do ya get them little smiley faces banging their heads and drinkin beers on your messages?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:28 (Ref:911356)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
what a load of rubbish , it would be thrown out of court in 5 minutes , stuff like this just makes me laugh.

OWRS simply cant sue anyone because there has been nothing illegal done at all.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:32 (Ref:911357)   #7
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey racinthestreets,
I first heard about this rumour yesterday when I was over at Crapwagon. It comes from Autoweek.com: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=06177128
Quote:
In the Champ Car camp there were suggestions that this was another case of George buying another team for the IRL. Indeed, sources at Open Wheel Racing LLC, the series' new owners, said the company has retained a Washington D.C. law firm to sue both George and Honda. It remains unclear on what legal grounds the suit might be based.
Quote:
While OWRS principal Paul Gentilozzi would not comment on his group's intentions regarding a lawsuit, he concedes that, on the heels of Fernandez Racing's recent defection, Rahal's departure makes things more difficult as Champ Car tries to ramp up for the Long Beach Grand Prix April 18.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:35 (Ref:911360)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Cowboy, next to quick reply you will see, click here (I think) when you click on that it will take you to a reply screen that will allows you to do different things like use a quote:

Quote:
Hey racinthestreets, how do ya get them little smiley faces banging their heads and drinkin beers on your messages?
Use copy then the quote tab, I am still learning myself. Never be afraid of trying something new it will get easier. No more mad cows please!

Last edited by racinthestreets; 20 Mar 2004 at 01:35.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:37 (Ref:911362)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so a businessman wants to improve his series by getting more big names into it , so he allegedly offers them financial incentives to join the series , the teams decide the alleged finances are profitable for their team and the series is very viable for their sponsors and decide to join ?

hardly illegal is it ?

im just trying to get my head around what exactly the charge would be thats all ?
I think Gentilozzi should just concentrate on getting his series up and running at a decent level with as many cars as he can muster and do the best job he can muster and then time will tell which one will stand the test of time.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:37 (Ref:911363)   #10
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its BS rumor posted by a 17 year old Canadian teenager in another forum. He came up with it by combining some hearsay, an editorial by Mark Chipolloni (itself based upon comments by Jon Oreowicz, who taking a comment from Kevin Kalkhoven as Gospel without talking to Robert Clarke for verification - Clarke said it was untrue), and a rumored sighting by an unknown source (itself an internet rumor) that Gerry Forsythe was in a Washington D.C. courtroom.

This one has a life of its own.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:37 (Ref:911364)   #11
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Bud, good one about the Mad Cows. That was priceless. Gotta go now, see ya tomorrow.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 03:44 (Ref:911415)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was mention of it in the Autoweek article posted on the "Rahal Gone" thread.Autoweek Article

Welcome Cowboy! Where 'bouts in Alberta?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 03:56 (Ref:911424)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe I should have read the whole thread before posting.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 07:56 (Ref:911637)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really is a stupid rumor. Shouldn't the best way to handle the IRL is to build the best series possible, and have their teams join CCWS later on? Beat the hell out of the IRL financially, not legally.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:58 (Ref:912652)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe the rumour is a big stupid, but it would be great if it was true and they had viable grounds.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 00:35 (Ref:913105)   #16
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Flatspot, I'm up in the Northern part of Alberta.
I also agree about the rumour bein stupid but I really couldn't resist sayin somethin on my first crack out of the gate. Bottom line, I just want the rumours and hearsay to end and the season to start.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:40 (Ref:914988)   #17
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
This really is a stupid rumor. Shouldn't the best way to handle the IRL is to build the best series possible, and have their teams join CCWS later on? Beat the hell out of the IRL financially, not legally.
Now there is a clever idea. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the more things change the more they stay the same.

We all know Tony George is a vulture. That's not going to change. But resources need to be put into building the series rather than into reacting to the Grandson.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:38 (Ref:915062)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW even if Tg paid money to attract teams, would there be really anything bad in it?
A team owner is not a public officer, he spends and risks on his own, and has the right to make the choices he likes, no matter who influenced him and how.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:18 (Ref:915211)   #19
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Its BS rumor posted by a 17 year old Canadian teenager in another forum. He came up with it by combining some hearsay, an editorial by Mark Chipolloni (itself based upon comments by Jon Oreowicz, who taking a comment from Kevin Kalkhoven as Gospel without talking to Robert Clarke for verification - Clarke said it was untrue), and a rumored sighting by an unknown source (itself an internet rumor) that Gerry Forsythe was in a Washington D.C. courtroom.

This one has a life of its own.
sgw2 said it best. This rumour is exactly that...just a rumour.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:36 (Ref:915253)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If OWRS DID sue the IRL for, basically, attempting to run the best and most profitable championship they can, it was lose them all credibility. I don't think the rumour has any creedence anyway. It would be like McLaren F1 suing Ferrari for being too good.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 18:09 (Ref:915450)   #21
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I'm guessing any lawsuit will be because TG used what he obtained through doing due diligence (i.e. checking the CART books before making his bid) to compete unfairly; he will have had to undertake not to use the info he found to his business advantage. Can't see it happening myself.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 23:11 (Ref:915818)   #22
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone can sue anyone for whatever spurious reason. But in this case, other sports would just call it "free agency." If OWRS principals are leaking this stuff out to people like Autoweek and Mark C., it makes them look a bit foolish and not on focus.