Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Apr 2004, 00:47 (Ref:942965)   #1
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst driving ive seen for ages

I just watched the F3's at Donington on Motors and I have to say that that was the worst driving Ive ever seen at that level. Kelvin Burt was commentating and Im sure he was trying his hardest not to take the mick.

The overtaking manouvers (*spelling) were dreadful, they were panicky and unthought out, very similar to the FBMW race at Thruxton (at least they had an excuse) but they were also down right dangerous moves.

While they were spending all there time thinking about how to balls up the next manouver they were driving extraordinarily badly. Locking up, forgeting how to break properly.

I think if this is the state of British F3 then none of those drivers will get to F1.

Your turn, discuss, and if you dont know what your looking at when you watch racing please dont bulls***

Last edited by Mackmot; 18 Apr 2004 at 00:48.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 00:57 (Ref:942975)   #2
Reon
Rookie

Reon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson Piquet junior??? I think he will make F1!
Old 18 Apr 2004, 00:57 (Ref:942977)   #3
Reon
Rookie

Reon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However you are right about the driving standards!
Old 18 Apr 2004, 01:01 (Ref:942980)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think Nelson was one of the worst, along with Viso
Old 18 Apr 2004, 01:02 (Ref:942981)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
and the other two Brazilians
Old 18 Apr 2004, 05:55 (Ref:943055)   #6
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe you guys should ban all the Brazilians... Btw, the ones you don't know the name are Dirani (Sudam F3 champion, p1 and p2 in Silverstone this weekend) and Di Grassi.

That would be good if they joined the Euroseries... less bias I'd say.

Piquet represented well the Brit F3 in the international events last year, and if that says something... this whole generation is a waste then

Last edited by DieRitter; 18 Apr 2004 at 06:01.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 08:28 (Ref:943850)   #7
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be more specific Mackmot.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 12:19 (Ref:944080)   #8
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be fair to the guys - they haven't raced since last October! You should see me type first thing on a Monday morning!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 12:31 (Ref:944094)   #9
Muttley
Rookie

Muttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track was very greasy at Donington due to it being a new surface, all the 'normal' braking poings have gone until there is more rubber on the track. In addition, the track was also damp due to rain having fallen, that certainly would mess up my braking.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:04 (Ref:944856)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thats a sensible argument, that does explain the basic driving standards. I still think the Overtaking was unthoughtout and sometimes dangerous
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:11 (Ref:944859)   #11
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is, the pressure that is on these guys to perform these days is immense. I am not sticking up for them as the driving standards ARE shocking, but the win at all costs to please the sponsors or lose the budget mentality is here...................

Shame though..........
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:24 (Ref:944870)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I know what the pressure is like, and it hasnt changed in the past 10 years, so why is the class of 2004 so poor. I think it may have something to do with the downfall in Formula Ford.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:26 (Ref:944874)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ernesto viso is a renowned hooligan anyway. he got his bum kicked for misbehaviour at donington - http://www.britishf3.com/newsitem.php?id=100
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:29 (Ref:944876)   #14
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I just watched the first formula ford round, that was just as bad.

What is going on

F3 is poor
FF is poor
FBMW was poor due to lack of experience
FR was just boring cos they couldnt overtake
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:31 (Ref:944877)   #15
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
I'll agree with that.....But motorsport has been in the public eye more over the last 5 or 6 years and it's a case of do it straight away or your History these days. With all due respect, the likes of Herbert, Blundell, Brundle and Julian Bailey (to name just the English drivers) would struggle today. Not on talent, but theirs wasn't a quick path to F1 and these days the sponsors want to fast track them. Look at Button, F3 to F1. Piquet and Rosberg Jnr's have already tested F1 without F3 experience. The point I'm making is you don't get time to learn these days. You've got to be on it from day one.....or your History.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:35 (Ref:944881)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
but the likes of Button and Raikonen spent years learning by doing thousands of miles testing and racing, they just did it in a much shorter amount of time.

Piquet did the same but his driving was not very impressive at Donington. Last season he was good, lets just hope it was a one off
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:41 (Ref:944886)   #17
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
I think the norm is because they have all this experience in Karts, then they must be good in cars. I've seen loads of ex-karters that can't drive cars. It's amazing how many of them carry the same mentality over from karts and you can't rub wheels in open wheel racing. You can't just stand on the brakes and hope for the best. I remember at Croft one young lad crying after a big shunt. It wasn't his first and the Clerk of the Course told him in no uncertain terms that it wasn't his play station out there. when you have a bump, it can really hurt. Just another side to the discusion..............
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:45 (Ref:944890)   #18
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think you shouldnt tarnish all karters with the same brush though. You are talking about the National level karters and those who have only done JICA, ICA and the likes. Those who are at world and european karting level tend to have more maturity and those who have done well at that level shouldnt have any problem being quick in a car. Karters at that level get paid lot of money and often decide not to even bother with cars.

Last edited by Mackmot; 20 Apr 2004 at 00:46.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 00:48 (Ref:944891)   #19
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Wasn't trying to mate.

Just another angle that was all. There are a lot of very good karters, but you know what I'm getting at.....................
Old 20 Apr 2004, 07:39 (Ref:945076)   #20
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ARE you all on about? I watched the races at Donington, didn't see anyone being overaggressive, and thought there was plenty of entertainment from young guys willing to have a go. Who wants to watch 25 Ralf Schumachers droning around in formation and then slagging anyone who tries to overtake and calling them dangerous?
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:28 (Ref:945112)   #21
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the comment above! Its about action and entertainment and this year I believe we have a grid of racers who will give us both of them as there are a lot of drivers out there willing to have a go! Yes now and again there's going to be people taking it a bit too far but its all part of the entertainment! The only driver actually reprimanded for anything was Viso! Leave the kids alone to learn, I saw nothing down right dangerous at Donington so as long as there's none of that it's fine in my book!
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:40 (Ref:945121)   #22
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
But gaz that is a spectators point of view, I agree it is very entertaining to see people throwing their cars about all over the place but its not racing. Racing is like chess, you have to think about your moves.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:47 (Ref:945129)   #23
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but I am a spectator so I'm coming at this from that angle! I think the driving standards at Silverstone last weekend were excellent, Mr Viso was certainly said to be much cleaner!

Apart from his move at Donny on Parente I didn't see anything too startling. The Donington Park circuit was certainly very tricky with the condtions and the state of the new surface so I think you can offer these guys a bit of leeway....
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:24 (Ref:945174)   #24
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe you will always get a very distinctly different perspective when coming from a spectators point of view to an informed racers analysis, what makes for good entertainment in one persons eyes makes for poor driving and lack of planning in anothers, and for my two penneth I agree that driving standards have fallen, and by the look of some of the setups and resultant on track car behaviour it would seem (from my point of view) that driver understanding and feed back is a dying art....

Of course I haven't seen everybody... so i'm sure there are many exceptions...

Steve McQueen
Old 20 Apr 2004, 10:05 (Ref:945218)   #25
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectator's view or not, I'd like to see Mackmot out there on the circuit doing any better. In the wet.