Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who's the next best team behind Ferrari?
BAR 28 47.46%
WILLIAMS 25 42.37%
RENAULT 5 8.47%
Com'on..where's Minardi or Mclaren? 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Apr 2004, 15:15 (Ref:955840)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BAR vs WILLIAMS vs RENAULT

Behind Ferrari, the fight for "Best of the Rest" is heating up.... with 3 clear contenders emerging... Step forward RENAULT, BAR, and WILLIAMS.

So who is the best? Look beyond each team's star driver... Judge based on 2 main factors...

1) CAR PACKAGE - the car/tyres/engine/chassis/developement potential/technical excellence

2) TEAM - depth of team/quality of personnels/resources/developement ability/operational readiness.

..who do you conclude as the best team of the current trio?

:confused:
Old 29 Apr 2004, 15:25 (Ref:955845)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR at the moment.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 15:27 (Ref:955847)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyways, to kick start it, here's a short take on the 3 teams recent form

1)Williams - Sam Michael insist that there is fundamentally nothing wrong with the car in aero/handling. The BMW is no doubt still a strong unit, and while expectations of the tusk-nosed car isn't met, they have secured their podium-scoring form. Williams insist work is underway to squeeze more pace, and the potential of the car's performance is good. Would the new additions to the technical department unlock the door to success?

2) BAR - the surprise! Richard claims he's learning from Todt's way of controlling the team. Useful additions to the team + a vastly improved Honda + car had propelled the team to the front, with 3 podiums and 1 pole in 4 races. Rate of developement so far is great...the team seem to learn more every day, and getting quicker...The team seem to have a new focus, a new hope.

3) Renault - Renault seem to be happy with the cars reliability and handling, claiming to now be able to focus to get even more power from the engine. Recent tests gives positive result. Race performance is good, threatening Williams in recent couple of GP.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 15:45 (Ref:955860)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, BAR have 3 podiums so far, although 1 of them was at JPM's expence, which would have meant 3 for Williams/JPM 2 for BAR/Jenson. BUT, as Williams had the failure and BAR didn't, i'd put BAR as second best.....at the moment.

Imo, Williams will end up as second best team behind Ferrari by the middle of the season.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 16:08 (Ref:955868)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
A couple of good races does not make enough of a difference in my mind. Williams will come out as second best by the end of the season. BAR have taken tremendous strides though, and in lock step with Renault for third best so far.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 16:30 (Ref:955875)   #6
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since it's not clarified ( ) whether we're talking short or long term, I can't vote .

On the other hand, I can say my 2c worth:

In this season, I believe Williams will be right behind Ferrari (unless some miracle happens in Woking) - I think that they have the best package at the moment, but just had a bit of bad luck.
But, on long term basis, my vote goes to Renault - they have very strange philosophy when compared to the rest of the grid - they go for reliability first, and then they build speed along the way (all the rest go for speed, and then look for reliability). In the world of F1 that is unusual approach, but Renault showed in the past that they know what they are doing.

And then comes BAR - in any 'term'. Of course, if Honda buys the whole team, it might be completely different story...

Sure, I'm ready to be reminded of these words in the future, but hey! it's only opinion!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 16:52 (Ref:955891)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As of right now? BAR.
Medium-to-long term? Williams.

BAR don't have the facilities, experience, personnel, etc. to compete at their current level for, say, 10 or 20 years in the way that Williams have.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 16:52 (Ref:955892)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Ok...make it "This season".
Old 29 Apr 2004, 18:40 (Ref:955978)   #9
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go for Renault for the entire season...
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:24 (Ref:956018)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

Imo, Williams will end up as second best team behind Ferrari by the middle of the season.
This I'm not so sure about......in the last two years when Renault have run higher than expected there was an inevitability that they would be caught. I'm getting a different feeling about BAR.....

We'll see. I just hope one of them gets in a championship challenging position!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:33 (Ref:956029)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAR... erm they certainly have exceeded all expectations... i expected a podium here and there but they have shown that they are consistant...

Williams.. at the moment they are lagging behind BAR... but i expect them to be there and probably be ahead of BAR

Renault... i think they can gather points when they are struggling 9 pts at Imola show that...

it will be close i think Williams will be 2nd but i doubt anyone of these teams will be able to come near Ferrari
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:36 (Ref:956034)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It must be said though, Renault have been a dissapointment.

They're a shadow of their pre-seasonm selves.

Fernando was crowing about the car pre-season, and the times backed him up. By the time we got to Malaysia he was saying the car "wasn't as good as people are saying". I find that slightly confusing!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 11:58 (Ref:956755)   #13
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me thinks Honda have got serious.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:01 (Ref:956763)   #14
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say BAR at the moment, lets hope this continues until season end. Note that they have set their sights on second in the Manufacturers Championships which I think is a realistic goal even is williams improve, as they undoubtably will.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:04 (Ref:956767)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the moment BAR, but Williams will bounce back and get 2nd.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:10 (Ref:956783)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it'll be Williams as the seaosn go on. Remember that, even thoguh BAR have amde a strong start, Montoya has outqualified Button twice, and Jenson only once (same time in Australia), and in each case the fast qualifier got the better result (or was set to). BAR have had more mechanical failures as well.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:21 (Ref:956810)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think Williams, albeit hopinbg for BAR; new kids are always better welcomed on the block IMO.
Nonetheless, Williams have all that is required to improve, probably more than BAR, who are already doing a fantastic job.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:35 (Ref:956979)   #18
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams, but not by far. Specially if Ralf continues his lacklustre performance which has turned Williams into a 1 car team, mostly. If Ralf picks up his pace, it will be very difficult for BAR to beat Williams.
Old 1 May 2004, 05:16 (Ref:957601)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be the battle to watch this year.

Williams has JPM who seems to be quite revved up, but so is Button and Alonso is just as good. Ralf is in a slump, Trulli seems to be taking it to Alonso where he can, and we saw Sato v Ralf earlier and I think it's safe to say Sato when push comes to shove, is a racer.

The Renault seems to be down a little on power compared to the BMW, while the Honda seems to be in the middle from just watching. Any trap speeds to confirm this? Anyway, reliability wise Renault is on top of things. BAR still has trouble (Sato's car) and Williams also lunched a box for JPM when he could have nailed points

However, Williams seems to be struggling to get the thing to make grip. BAR and Renault both seem to have no such problems. And I'd like to bet that the BAR has really adapted to it's Michelins well, with a solid aero package.

When the cars come into pits, Renault seem to be the quickest. They do very fast stops and the other weekend reminded us of their pit srategy being strong. I can remember last year their cars leapfrogging through the pit strategy too. Williams next, BAR seem a little shabby here. They've made the odd error or been a bit slower at times.

Preperation and Qualifying is where Button is good in this format. Sato is not doing to bad, 2nd season. He's the rookie in this group. Davidson does alot of work Friday. BAR prepares better it seems to me. Williams is next. JPM is way ahead of Ralf in qualifying and he's fast. Williams is struggling a little with setups though. Renault, can't say much other than qualifying errors so far have hurt the start position for Alonso. I imagine this won't be a factor for long though. Alonso will get it sorted quicksmart.

Overall, I'd say all three teams have areas to improve but BAR is closest. BAR just needs Sato's error rate to drop with some more experiance. Just a smidgen less would do. They then need their reliability to be more solid, and they'd be definate 2nd.They'd have the drivers to be capable against Renault's, and enough Powertrain to fight the Williams. the chassis seems good and BAR under Willis and Richards seems a much better sorted team that can put in the constant improvements.

BMW needs Ralf to get last years form where he would match and beat JPM in outright pace. When that happens, they can take 2nd. Their car will improve too. Last year, they did have the fastest car and they can do it again. But I think somehow the fixes will be hard to come by. They're a little downbeat. Morale will be low I think. Meanwhile, BAR are on a high and are hungry as hell lead by a confident principle and charismatic driver.

Renault needs the engine to grab more power and their preperations to go smoother. That's personnel and technical so will be hardest to get. But their drivers have the most potential so if they only get their package to even stevens with the 2ned fastest car, I reckon Alonso and Trulli will do the job. Renault is a steady team though, they're stable. So I think they're less likely than BAR to drop the ball.

But in the end, it's all guesswork. So I put my vote behind BAR. It's a gut feeling, and a little bias.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 1 May 2004, 05:26 (Ref:957603)   #20
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Ok...make it "This season".
OK, I voted
Old 1 May 2004, 09:53 (Ref:957711)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

How much credit should we give to BAR's ability to run a third car in practice as a huge contribution factor to BAR's good form in qualifyings and race? BAR had made no secrets that Anthony Davidson had been a key factor in speeding up the team's preparation before race.

Williams and Renault are "denied" such a chance, does it matter?

Moreover, which team's car seem to be nearing the developement limit?
Old 1 May 2004, 11:34 (Ref:957760)   #22
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
at the moment?....BAR without a doubt...the entire team seems to have jelled wonderfully during the off season and this has carried over to the present.....how long can they keep it up is another question, but kudos to them....i think williams would be doing alot better if they dumped both of their 'prima donna' drivers.....and i think renault will be steady, but i just don't see them hitting the top step of the podium this year...
Old 2 May 2004, 05:16 (Ref:958365)   #23
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it really matter?? Ferrari have the year tied up. It is a war of words. NO ONE can beat them. BLAH.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 May 2004, 07:56 (Ref:958413)   #24
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it does matter actually. I don't buy that 'first of the losers' ****. What a load. Still better than all but one. Also, it sets them up for a better run the following year.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 3 May 2004, 02:10 (Ref:958990)   #25
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO, I'm putting my money on Williams. BAR have looked good in the last three races, but Sir Frank and Patrick Head between them have the experience to improve the car during the season, while Sam Michael seems a savvy race engineer.

It would probably help if Ralf pulled his finger out, but he's distracted by his future, so JPM, serene in the knowledge of what he'll be doing this time next year, has the self-confidence to go out and try to nail qualifying and race positions. Sometimes it doesn't always come off, but at least he gives it a shot.

BAR seem to be building the team around Button now, which looks like a good long-term strategy in the vein of Ferrari and they have made use of a good designer in Geoff Willis and a better engine from Honda, though it's still prone to the odd grenade or two now and then. It's a close vote, but I think Williams' past experience at this caper just shades it.