Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 May 2004, 12:44 (Ref:969781)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT Ladies

We have Fanny & Paula making their presence felt in the British GT's this year but what has happend to Liz Halliday and Amanda Stretton..surely they should be out honing their racecraft if this Les Femmes For Le Mans effort is ever going to work (or is that now dead)
Old 13 May 2004, 12:52 (Ref:969787)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dead for now........
Old 13 May 2004, 12:54 (Ref:969790)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Liz Halliday is driving a Racers' Group Porsche GT3RS in Grand-Am- doesn't seem to have been any mention of her having any involvement with Amanda Stretton's plans for quite a while

Last edited by KA; 13 May 2004 at 12:58.
Old 13 May 2004, 13:12 (Ref:969807)   #4
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amanda Stretton is taking time off racing this summer as she is pregnant. I think she is intending to return next year for the attempt on Le Mans.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:59 (Ref:970038)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second time she has done this.2 seasons ago she was suposed to be in ASCAR but dropped out for the same reason.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:09 (Ref:970047)   #6
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a women in racing poll being done by the university of indianapolis, heres the link if you feel like doing it:

http://pages.uindy.edu/~mwilson/phpESP/

its kinda fun to wrack your brain to come up with all the women drivers you know!
Old 13 May 2004, 17:18 (Ref:970059)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After first page questions are aimed at women so I gave up.
Old 15 May 2004, 11:39 (Ref:971617)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
The second time she has done this.2 seasons ago she was suposed to be in ASCAR but dropped out for the same reason.
Exactly why no one will ever take women in racing or any other sport seriously.

A long long time ago the dean of a University law school told me, "It's no use training girls to be anything. They just get pregnant and quit." I hate to admit it, but after 30 years in the work force, I have to agree he's correct.
Old 15 May 2004, 15:03 (Ref:971746)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Exactly why no one will ever take women in racing or any other sport seriously.

A long long time ago the dean of a University law school told me, "It's no use training girls to be anything. They just get pregnant and quit." I hate to admit it, but after 30 years in the work force, I have to agree he's correct.
Rubbish
Old 15 May 2004, 16:22 (Ref:971783)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
An attitude that has always kept women back in all walks of life.Sadly in some cases true.The worse case I recall was the the first Tornado fighter pilot trained by the RAF at a cost of millions to us the taxpayer,who promptly got pregnant and left.
The clever ones in sport manage to time it for the 'off' season.
Old 15 May 2004, 17:59 (Ref:971827)   #11
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Liz drive a Racers Group Porsche at the Rolex 24 or another GrandAm round ealier this year?
Old 16 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:972555)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
See www.lizhalliday.com
Old 16 May 2004, 15:54 (Ref:972610)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only professional NHL woman goalie promptly got pregnant, took two years off, and then was devastated to find that nobody would hire her back. No other woman has followed her into an NHL team. Every time a woman does this, she makes it ten times as hard for the next woman, particularly the next young woman, who wants to enter that particular profession. After 35 years of "liberation" I would love to say we're making progress, but we're not.

Every woman has the right to get pregnant and leave her profession, but I wish the ones going into professions like racing would take the time to reflect on the damage they're doing overall when they do.
Old 16 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:972641)   #14
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
How very inconsiderate of them to have the life they want.

So what's the solution? Do we have a separate group of women just for breeding?

Bearing in mind that we are talking in this instance about somebody who is not a professional racing driver I frankly think the whole debate is misplaced.

Amanda is, I'm sure, delighted to be expecting a child, she certainly adores her first baby - And I hardly think it is restricting the options for anyone else with the skill (and more to the point the budget) to go racing from doing so.
Old 16 May 2004, 16:59 (Ref:972643)   #15
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not sure if i really want to start this fire...BUT...

Its not like all pregnancys are planned and what do you expect them to do??

I realize also that this is not the case 80% of the time, but give us a break...everyone has the right no matter when where and what job they have.

Maybe if these women were given a little more exposure (and not just the cute ones) they could tell people their plans and maybe not devastate everyone so badly...

example: "Heather, what are your plans for next season?" "I think im going to take a year of and have a baby, but Ill be back!!"

"wow, how noble"
Old 16 May 2004, 18:42 (Ref:972703)   #16
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin

Agreed, couldn't have put it better myself Graham.

I had hoped the people on these boards were above such sexist comments like the ones we've seen in this thread.

It certainly doesn't encourage us girls to get invoved in motorsport or to even bother reading/posting here.
Old 16 May 2004, 18:53 (Ref:972718)   #17
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I'd certainly encourage you to stick around chocmonster and to get involved in the sport if you have the inclination to do so.

All I can tell you is that the lady racers I've chatted to lately find the atmosphere in the paddock a lot less patronising than they used to - I think it comes with beating the odd bloke or two now and again - if anyone saw the footage of Paula Cook in the Brit GTs at Mondello toughing it out with the 'hard as nails' Jones Twins you'll realise that equality is as equality does.

Of course it's not always that simple but hey, What is!!??!!
Old 16 May 2004, 19:44 (Ref:972748)   #18
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
Quote:
I'd certainly encourage you to stick around chocmonster and to get involved in the sport if you have the inclination to do so.
Oh I'm not going anywhere!

I've been around the motor industry & motorsport for long enough (too long probably!) to be hardened to any comments.

Actually I don't think even I would argue with Paula Cook...
Old 16 May 2004, 21:40 (Ref:972823)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Good on Yer!!
Old 17 May 2004, 00:30 (Ref:972900)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I agree Graham, its very inconsderate. Sportscar racing is life, the rest is just details. Isnt it? :confused:

Seriously though, joking aside, these things happen, ok so a female racing driver has gotton herself pregnant and wont be able to take part in racing for a while, big deal. Amanda will be back later this year or early next season id imagine. Its unfortunate but life sucks sometimes.

You have to admit though, she could have timed things a little better.
Old 17 May 2004, 03:01 (Ref:972947)   #21
Bob C.
Rookie

Bob C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: GT Ladies

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
...but what has happend to Liz Halliday and Amanda Stretton..
Liz: Two starts with TRG for Liz in Grand-Am. One podium and one 4th have been very respectable results. At Phoenix she double-stinted and finished the race strongly. Mont Tremblant is next...

http://www.autosportimage.com/photog...228_k_0057.jpg
Old 17 May 2004, 06:17 (Ref:972982)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paula certainly rattled Mr Jones..it was excellent stuff and you could see it coming for a few laps
I think both her and Fanny are really performing well and racing hard (it helps that Fanny is in the concrete Noble as well ) not that I expected any different.
I think what's good is that there is very little hyperbole involved..they are racers and they get on with it minimum hassle
Old 17 May 2004, 08:21 (Ref:973056)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
My point about Amanda was that she has managed to do this TWICE in 3 yrs! At the 2001 CART Rockingham meeting I bought a colourful Amanda Stretton T-shirt and was looking forward to wearing it as she was promised a full season in 2002.I have not been to an ASCAR/DoT event since.Maybe a ceremonial T shirt burning is in order? I have always supported women racers,but now understand why sponsors have a problem with them.If Amanda chooses to return later I hope she will stick to historic racing at her own expense and not waste anyone elses time or momey.
Old 17 May 2004, 09:01 (Ref:973099)   #24
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Every woman has the right to get pregnant and leave her profession, but I wish the ones going into professions like racing would take the time to reflect on the damage they're doing overall when they do.

just female drivers, or other female team members as well? any particular professions these inconsiderate women who get pregnant should avoid?

Last edited by kdr; 17 May 2004 at 09:04.
Old 17 May 2004, 09:52 (Ref:973126)   #25
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
My point about Amanda was that she has managed to do this TWICE in 3 yrs!
How dare she!

I know, lets ban all female racing drivers from having sex for the length of their careers, or at least during the racing season.

We could even work out the dates that they could have sex on so that any child was born in the middle of winter and she would be ready for the next racing season.

Anything to keep some male fans happy.

Quote:
At the 2001 CART Rockingham meeting I bought a colourful Amanda Stretton T-shirt and was looking forward to wearing it as she was promised a full season in 2002.
I have not been to an ASCAR/DoT event since.
You were so traumatised by her not racing that you haven't been back since or worn the t-shirt?

Perhaps you should have contacted Amanda and demanded she gave you a refund for the shirt and a bit extra to cover your disappointment...