Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:971304)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Palmer convicted

Jonathan Palmer, the ex Grand Prix driver who now owns Brands Hatch, has been convicted in relation to a fatal road accident in Portugal.

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=27238&s=5
Old 15 May 2004, 13:37 (Ref:971689)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Not a member of the Autosport site (consider it regularly, it really would make sense, but I have a very limited capacity for being arsed to sign-up with sites. Just joined one recently, so it may take a while yet).

Can you give the basic info (or more, if you wish)?

Last edited by Dutton; 15 May 2004 at 13:39.
Old 15 May 2004, 13:43 (Ref:971691)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Basically Palmer was in Portugal in 1996 to film a video for Honda.

Right hand drive car, he goes round a corner and forgets he's in Portugal - he's on the wrong side of the road and goes head on into another car, killing the driver.

He's been convicted of negligence, and sentenced to seven months in jail.

However, due to an amnesty for overseas prisoners with sentences of less than a year, he won't now need to serve it.

As for autosport, it takes 2 minutes to sign up and it's well worth it.
Old 15 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:971695)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1996? How come it's only come up now?
Old 15 May 2004, 14:56 (Ref:971742)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's the pace of life in Portugal for you
Old 15 May 2004, 15:45 (Ref:971764)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bet he's glad he wasn't remanded in custody pending the trial...
Old 15 May 2004, 15:50 (Ref:971768)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His lawyers are considering appealing... It was HIS fault.
Old 15 May 2004, 16:10 (Ref:971774)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

It was his fault - but it was an honest mistake which will be with him forever
Old 15 May 2004, 16:15 (Ref:971777)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not sure of the situation, but is it right for us to be discussing our opinion of the trial in a public forum?
Old 15 May 2004, 16:17 (Ref:971779)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, It's legally okay, because the verdict has been given.

A case is only "active" legally when the trial is still pending or underway - this is the period when you can't discuss it.

As long as people are only giving opinions based on the facts there's no problem.

Last edited by Kicking-back; 15 May 2004 at 16:17.
Old 15 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:971843)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why appeal if there's no sentence?

And does this mean we can all go holiday in Portugal and as long as we dont commit crimes with sentences over a year, we get off free?
Old 15 May 2004, 20:32 (Ref:971901)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The amnesty was in 1999 - it applied to cases prior to that I presume.

Kicking-back: aren't all opinions based on facts anyway?
Old 15 May 2004, 20:33 (Ref:971902)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

No. There was an amnesty which meant all cases involving sentences of less than a year for crimes which took place before 1999 and involved an overseas accused, would mean the jail term wouldn't need to be served.

I assume he's appealing because he now has a conviction for negligent driving which he wants overturned.
Old 15 May 2004, 20:34 (Ref:971903)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Kicking-back: aren't all opinions based on facts anyway?
They should be, but some people base their opinions on things which aren't true.
Old 15 May 2004, 20:57 (Ref:971921)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point KB. For examples look at some of the JV threads on this forum.
Old 15 May 2004, 21:09 (Ref:971929)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll rephrase that: look at ALL of the JV threads on this forum!
Old 16 May 2004, 03:26 (Ref:972055)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah...it's quite clearly Mr Palmer's fault..no doubt about it. Definitely wasn't intentional, but definitely his carelessness.

I'm quite surprised that his lawyers plan to appeal considering the light sentence and amnesty. Somehow it just gives the impression that , despite what he say about "regret" for his actions, he doenst accept the "punishment" (which is an indication of how he accept his blame)...which is quite unfortunate.

His carelessness resulted in a guy's life...he ought to accept the consequences (which is quite light) and end this episode.

Oh...and what's with taking 8 years to convict somebody..?!
Old 16 May 2004, 07:54 (Ref:972127)   #18
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If i was Palmer i would just accept the punishment as he did commit the offence & escaped with an awfully light penalty for ending someone's life.
Old 16 May 2004, 10:39 (Ref:972288)   #19
Firefighter
Rookie

Firefighter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if he did win in an appeal he would still have to live with the fact that he was involved in an accident in which someone died.

As jetsetter mentioned it isn't much of a penalty for ending someone's life, I'd imagine that means there is more to the accident than what has been reported
Old 16 May 2004, 11:14 (Ref:972336)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is difficult to remark on how people should react to such situations. Especially with such little information.
Old 16 May 2004, 12:17 (Ref:972455)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If this thread carries on will he go on to the "Willaims B List?".
Old 16 May 2004, 13:54 (Ref:972530)   #22
Liam34
Rookie

Liam34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AutoSport story quotes Palemer
""After less than half a mile, as I approached a right hand corner I saw a Ford Sierra Cosworth car coming towards me, fast, on what appeared to be its correct side of the road. The Sierra then appeared to run wide, moving onto my side of the road, and approaching me head on. I could not believe what I was seeing, and braked hard, praying for the Sierra to move back on to the other side of the road. It didn't and we collided.

"After the accident I was very agitated and remember repeatedly exclaiming 'he was on the wrong side of the road!'"

“To my great distress, I soon realised that it was actually me who had been on the wrong side of the road at the time of the collision. I had completely forgotten I was in Portugal and should have driven on the right, not the left, and was mislead by the right hand drive configuration of the Honda car. Unfortunately the initial positioning of the Sierra, as its driver cut the corner coming towards me, did not alert me to my mistake either."

I presume his laywers are appealing the crime, rather then the sentence. They perhaps feel he should have been charged with careless driving, or dangerous driving, rather than negligent homicide.
Old 16 May 2004, 14:31 (Ref:972553)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I have to sympathise with Jonathan. There is a junction on my route to Mallory Park. I've driven it loads of times but for whatever reason I always try to turn into it on the wrong side of the road. To explain I'm spending a lot of my driving time on the "wrong" side of the road at the moment.

So it is easy for me to understand his confusion in the circumstances.
Old 16 May 2004, 14:40 (Ref:972557)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe you should be on the Williams B list too?
Old 16 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:972745)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm on the Z list two places below Adam.