Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2004, 21:04 (Ref:971924)   #1
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British gp testing ?

is this happening this yr?? what are the dates???
Old 15 May 2004, 22:53 (Ref:971987)   #2
GaryM
Rookie

GaryM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a test coming up on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of June. That'll be the last test there before the British GP.
Old 16 May 2004, 16:18 (Ref:972620)   #3
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes 1st-3rd June is the main BGP Test.

Most teams are likely to be there (including Ferrari).

Jordan will definately be there (with Verstappen testing on the 1st), but Sauber won't be there, as they tested last week and will be in Italy testing the first week of June. Other than that Minardi aren't likely to show up at Silverstone that week either.

Jim.
Old 16 May 2004, 20:40 (Ref:972774)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most definitely worth the trip if you can. One of the few times you can see plenty of the current contenders for free.

I've already booked some time off..
Old 16 May 2004, 21:07 (Ref:972792)   #5
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how can you see the cars test for free?
Old 16 May 2004, 21:13 (Ref:972799)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They just let you. Go to Silverstone, park your car and walk in. They even give you a 'ticket' (normally an old unused previus event one) and all for nothing. I think the ticket is just a legal thing that has the standard disclaimers.

They normally have he area from the complex to Copse open for you to wander round. There will be a few burger vans etc.. around for refreshments and it is a very enjoyable relaxing day.

There are no guarentees of who and how much they will run and it depends on the weather and red flags, but at the big tests you normally get to see a lot of laps by a lot of people.

I don't have any decent pictures handy, but try this one which stopped the running for a while.

You'll see more running than at the practice during a GP weekend, especially now we have these rules. No single engines for a test day!

Last edited by Adam43; 16 May 2004 at 21:17.
Old 16 May 2004, 21:24 (Ref:972813)   #7
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool. Whats the rules on kids like?
Old 16 May 2004, 21:37 (Ref:972821)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They can't vote? There are no rules, well no more than in normal situations. Same as GP or other meetings I guess, I've never considered it.

Nowadays don't you have to get several legal documents signed in triplicate from your kid's headmaster and your local MEP to let them have a day off school? Tell them it is educational (probably is more educational than if they went to my old school for a day).

On a dull serious note, give their little ears some ear defenders. The F1 cars are very loud
Old 16 May 2004, 22:34 (Ref:972856)   #9
Fondmetal
Rookie

defo worth the trip!!

yeah silverstone gp is a rip off, £115 for race day is well over the odds for general admin....in france u can get race day for about £45!!

my pics from last yr

http://www.endless-a.demon.co.uk/silverstone.htm

Last edited by Fondmetal; 16 May 2004 at 22:36.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:44 (Ref:974113)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone know which is the best day(s) to go?
I will have to book time off work you see!

I saw the Renault, Jaguar and BAR trucks on the M25 on Saturday. We also saw a Williams BMW coach. We went passed them blaring horns!
Old 18 May 2004, 09:09 (Ref:974138)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And when you aren't busy watching F1 cars on the track, a short wander round from the main gate (turn right as you exit and follow the circuit road) will take you to the bookshop where Tim D can be found. But take loads of dosh because you will be bound to find something there.
Old 18 May 2004, 19:41 (Ref:974714)   #12
Fondmetal
Rookie

the 2nd day u will see the top guys...first day tends to be more test drivers and number two drivers going te prep work..
Old 19 May 2004, 10:29 (Ref:975271)   #13
Extra Rib
Rookie

Extra Rib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
worse case scenario is leaving it to the last day and they've had accidents so don't go out at all
Old 20 May 2004, 08:27 (Ref:976252)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Extra Rib
worse case scenario is leaving it to the last day and they've had accidents so don't go out at all
That's why I've chosen to go the first day, to see all the nice shiny cars before they get binned or go pop.
Old 20 May 2004, 18:44 (Ref:976862)   #15
j_hampton2000
Rookie

Just read that Williams are confirmed for all three days of this test.

IIRC, Ferrari ran 3 cars for all 3 days last year.

Jim.
Old 20 May 2004, 18:50 (Ref:976872)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent stuff.

Just been planning my week - somewhat fortuitously, I'm off work!

I'm going to Silverstone on the Wednesday, 2nd June. Be more than happy to meet others there, and Tim, I might even bring some dosh to spend in your shop!

Old 27 May 2004, 09:57 (Ref:984891)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good job i looked at this!

I thought the test was from Tues-Fri?!! I was gonna go on the Friday!!

Is it positively, definitely running those 3 days? In past it's run Weds til the Friday i think?

Think i'll go up on the Weds too, 2nd day is when most heavy hitters run and i want to see Monster going round!
Old 27 May 2004, 10:02 (Ref:984897)   #18
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work in the circuit office - I can tell you its definately the 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Old 27 May 2004, 10:32 (Ref:984926)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks Nina!
Old 27 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:985318)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm going on the 2nd, see you there chaps!
Old 28 May 2004, 08:28 (Ref:985841)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Silverstone 1st 2nd 3rd June test...?

Can someone clarify something with regard to these test days...?
How many teams will be present over the three days.
Also is it true that the teams are limited to 50km of running?
So if Silverstone is 5km long, isn't that 10 laps over 3 days per team?

If this is true is there any point in going?
Old 28 May 2004, 08:35 (Ref:985852)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Monster, the teams are under no obligation to turn up, although as said in this thread it is a popular one.

We've heard this:
Quote:
Originally posted by j_hampton2000
Just read that Williams are confirmed for all three days of this test.

IIRC, Ferrari ran 3 cars for all 3 days last year.
Maybe Nina is the one to tell us?

(merged BTW).

Last edited by Adam43; 28 May 2004 at 08:36.
Old 28 May 2004, 09:04 (Ref:985885)   #23
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Silverstone 1st 2nd 3rd June test...?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Can someone clarify something with regard to these test days...?
How many teams will be present over the three days.
Also is it true that the teams are limited to 50km of running?
So if Silverstone is 5km long, isn't that 10 laps over 3 days per team?

If this is true is there any point in going?
The 50 km rule only applies in the week of a GP so this test is effectively unlimited - evry team can run as many cars as they can afford for as long as they need between 9 & 5 on all three days - lots and lots and lots of laps
Old 28 May 2004, 10:16 (Ref:986009)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Generally, Silverstone testing days aren't really worth the trip unless you happen to be passing by. At worst you'll see two Jordans and nowt else, at best one or two of the other UK based teams.

However the June dates are the exception - most teams tend to turn up as it's the perfect opportunity to get some testing in ahead of the British GP. Looking back over this thread, looks like most will be there except Sauber and Minardi (any further info anyone? ). And as Jos says, no 50km limit, so they can lap as many times as their pocket and enthusiasm allow!

I'm making the trip for this one, on Wednesday (2nd), aiming to get there at 9ish and see how it goes. Anyone who's going - PM me if you want to meet up.

Oh yeah - must find out where TimD's bookshop is... I feel the need to spend some cash at lunchtime!
Old 28 May 2004, 11:52 (Ref:986140)   #25
j_hampton2000
Rookie

According to Autosport, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, BAR, Renault, Toyota, Jordan and Jaguar will all be there next week.

As previously posted, Sauber won't be there and Minardi are highly unlikely. ANd if you missed it elsewherem, the Jordan-JosV test planned for Tuesday is off.

BTW, on the McLaren website, you'll find:
Testing schedule for June 2004*
Silverstone, UK
1-3 June, 2004
Kimi Raikkonen - 1st-3rd

Monza, Italy
2-4 June
David Coulthard - 2nd-3rd
Pedro de la Rosa - 4th

Rumour has it that Kimi will be testing the MP4-19B at Silverstone !!!

Jim.