Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Nov 2000, 19:30 (Ref:50532)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a recent string of moves, another racer trained in Europe is moving to the US to race. Damien Faulkner, Formula Palmer Audi champion has eschewed a seat at Kid Jensen Racing for a chance to race for strong Indy Lights team Dorricott Racing. This is not without precedent as quite a few Brit drivers have come to the US and are making charges at the Indy Lights Championship, namely Guy Smith, Ben Collins, Derek Higgins and Jonny Kane.

While I don't think that Indy Lights is necessarily a better feeder series into CART, the IRL, or even F1, it is proving to be a chance to challenge for a championship that may not be in reach in F3000 except to the top teams. Like CART, the Indy Lights series does offer something that no other series does, a chance to race on road courses, street courses and ovals.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 21:18 (Ref:50556)   #2
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One could make an argument that in Indy Lights it is easier for an aspiring driver to make his mark because it less competitive overall.

Gil de Ferran, Juan Pablo Montoya, Kenny Brack, Nicolas Minassian, Christian Fittipaldi are all F3000 graduates, as are Jean Alesi, Damon Hill, Ricardo Zonta, Olivier Panis, Heinz-Harold Frentzen and Alex Zanardi. These drivers are world class and fought hard to emerge in F3000.

However, past Indy Lights contenders, such as Steve Robertson, Pedro Chaves, Derek Higgins, Guy Smith, David Empringham etc have found their careers grind to a halt. Perhaps, ultimately, they did not have that extra edge required?
Old 1 Dec 2000, 02:08 (Ref:50583)   #3
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...it's very interesting and kinda funny isn't it? Lately the road to F1 seems to go through David Sears F3000 team including the Championship whilst testing for Williams. Then on to Target Chip Ganassi then back to Williams. Buddy Rice tried to take a short cut right to TCGR but they weren't having anything of that!
Old 5 Dec 2000, 00:08 (Ref:51143)   #4
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the reason guys are looking to Lights, is because it’s safer way to go to F1… It seems that Champcars is the way to go to F1, so lights are the key to Champcars… Yes, that's right Champcars, then F1, like Jaques & Montoya....Castroneves & de Matta will be next!

And, if you look at F3000, it's a very tricky situation. If you're not with the top team you are screwed. Look, many good drivers went to F3000 with a lot of 'future F1 star' PR, then 3 years pass & they are still F3000 drivers, and the 'future F1' hype went away! Bernoldi, Ayari, Goosens, Haberfield, Lienders, Montagny & Saleans are great examples...Now, it seems F1 team owner are looking at drivers without F3000. I.E Kimi, Alonso, Button, Burti, Pizzonia, Scheckter, Pantano, Davidson...Therefore, guys who do not have the 'Kimi or Button' kind of hype are looking to Indy Lights, to go to Cart to go to F1…make sense? Didn't think so…

Bet you $20 that Buddy Rice's name will soon be forgotten as a future star after this season of F3000...
Old 8 Dec 2000, 11:48 (Ref:51611)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely his parents didn't name him Buddy. What is his actual forename?

What do you think about Indy Lights compared to Atlantics? Personally I enjoy watching the Atlantics more, and a lot of their pilots seem to go on to bigger things too.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 12:31 (Ref:51615)   #6
wallbanger
Rookie

wallbanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, enjoy the Atlantics more than Lights (talking road/street now) but the best of all ladder series IMHO is Barber Dodge.

Indy Lights - I hate to say it - is a great feeder for Formula Inheritor
Old 8 Dec 2000, 17:16 (Ref:51628)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hence the continuation of the "Indy" moniker ... hmmm. Makes sense to me.

And I am always talking road/street courses as I really don't care for oval racing. Reminds me of water swirling round the bowl, y'know.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 22:59 (Ref:51669)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definately prefer Atlantics to Indy Lights. Especially the sound that the Atlantics cars make. It is almost as loud as the Champ Cars!

Plus. more drivers seem to come through Atlantics than through Indy Lights.

Although, in terms of driving skill, F3000 probably beats them both. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the drivers in F3000 were better than some in Cart.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 02:38 (Ref:51697)   #9
Liz
Veteran

They are certainly as good as most of the guys from immediately behind Kool Green on back. It'll be interesting to see what Nicolas and Bruno do next year.

Most of my friends race in FFords but I have hopes that a few at least will move up next year - Jonathan Macri is certainly Atlantic ready if he can get the money. And I'm glad the Atlantics are back at the Molson Indy Toronto as I didn't care much for the Indy Lights when they were there last year (1999).

Is F3 higher or lower than F3000?
Old 9 Dec 2000, 04:09 (Ref:51705)   #10
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...F3000 many years ago was called F2. That probably answers your question. There are many F3 Championships from many countries including most recently the US. It's the British F3 Championship which is the most prestigious and attracts the higher quality international drivers...