Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 May 2004, 11:08 (Ref:973185)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's Running the Maserati MC12?

So I was reading some news on the supposed debut of the Maserati MC12 at Imola, and I came across a little something about the factory turning the car/s over to JMB after the Imola round like Reiter did with the Lambo and DAMS...

Then I was thinking, "Wait, JMB is going to run the MC12?!" That just doesn't make sense... they just got three new 575 GTC and have spent a lot of time with these cars which are still VERY new and now they're gonna race the MC12? what would they do with their 575s? and also, why would ferrari spend the time to make a factory 575 and then go and make a maserati that will most likely be faster a year later? wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

by the way the article is over here: http://www.lmsr.net/jmbmc12.html
Old 17 May 2004, 11:23 (Ref:973204)   #2
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.jmbracing.com/detailArticle.php?id=412

fyi
Old 17 May 2004, 11:46 (Ref:973218)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I still think we'll see an ORECA Maserati by 2005 at the latest.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:31 (Ref:973263)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

is oreca still around? what ever happened to them? weren't they supposed to return back to racing the next generation viper after the LMP program was finished?
Old 17 May 2004, 12:33 (Ref:973265)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guys, whilst I dont doubt that we will have privateer operatons running Maseratis in the near future I woudnt count out the Maserati factory team sticking around for a few years, it seems to be a long term project they have begun, a bit like the GM Corvette operation. www.maseraticorse.it
Old 17 May 2004, 12:47 (Ref:973289)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
ORECA are competing in the Trophee Andros with a Toyota. Their pilot is some guy called Prost...
Old 17 May 2004, 12:58 (Ref:973302)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Nicola Larini has been linked with a Maserati drive , weather that is works or not im not sure ? Great driver though
Old 17 May 2004, 13:55 (Ref:973350)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Larini and Bertolini have been mentioned as drivers for Maserati Corse, yes.
Old 17 May 2004, 14:33 (Ref:973383)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

with drivers like larini and bertolini and a car like the mc12, how is maserati not going to walk away with these races?
Old 17 May 2004, 14:53 (Ref:973406)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We dont know yet the real pace of the Maserati tblicoe, sure its been lapping faster than the JMB Ferrari 575's, but then so are the Saleens lapping faster than the JMB Ferrri 575's, if only Konrad can get the cars reliable I think they could cause Maserati problems.
Old 17 May 2004, 16:18 (Ref:973516)   #11
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accoording to Hezeman's site the GPC Giesse team is also opting to change to Maserati.
So it must have been a special action: buy a Ferrari 575 and you get a Maserati for free, as soon as available.
Old 17 May 2004, 16:29 (Ref:973529)   #12
tblincoe
Veteran

wow, so it sounds like there is going to be a major surplus of 575s out there... could be a good time for some GT/N-GT teams to step up to the higher class
Old 17 May 2004, 17:23 (Ref:973596)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you think a DTM car lapped Hockenheim 2 seconds faster the the FIA GT pole (albeit only privateer GTS cars), just think what a Maserati, with a high tech chassis like a DTM car, but with 150bhp more, bigger tyres etc. will be capable off. I would say a lap in the 1.34s is capable for a privateer car. A works car, a second plus faster still.

FIA GT will artificially slow the Maserati, but this will make no difference to the development of the GTS class, as in ACO backed races, cars will not be given ballast etc.
Old 17 May 2004, 20:45 (Ref:973785)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yeah Jag the Maseratis will be slowed in FIA GT if they are sucessful, but then so would anyone else. Its not as though they are running to differnt regulations than anyone else. Still, there is 1 race where we can see their true pace, and everyone elses. The Proximus 24hrs of Spa where nobody has ballast.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:06 (Ref:973806)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My point though, was that manufactuers will be competing in both FIA and ACO races, with the same cars. So a manufactuer will have to build a Maserati beater to compete in the ACO races, even if they can still be competitive in FIA races, due to extra ballast etc. for the Maseratis.

BTW, are Aston Martin even competing in FIA GT, at least initially. There first car is ACO spec?

Last edited by JAG; 17 May 2004 at 21:08.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:37 (Ref:973848)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Aston Martin are supposed to be debuting in the FIA GT championship, at the final round of this year as far as Im aware, the car will be Prodrive built and run. As far as ur point regarding the ACO regs for GTS cars, I think that if a semi works Maserati entered the series and started to dominate a ballast system could be implemented across all the classess, otherwise privateer teams would go somewhere else.

But as far as Im aware Aston Martin will debut in FIA GT for the final round, ahead of a full season in 2004. At least thats what Ive read in AUTOSPORT magazine over recent months.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:17 (Ref:973891)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
According to DSC the first Aston Martin is ACO spec, and FIA GT is not the focus anymore!

And if the ACO will not bring in ballast to slow the Audi R8, Viper (in its day) etc. I can't see them bringing such a system in for the Maserati.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:20 (Ref:973898)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
JAG - I havent seen the article u are talking about on DSC regarding the Aston Martin being ACO spec and not FIA. Perhaps u could tell me what the article is called and when its dated and I can look myself.

As for the ACO not bringing in a ballast system this proves my point regarding competion, look at the ALMS - after years of Audi domination the LMP 1 category is almost empty, and the GTS class isnt fairing much better, thanks to GM dominating in recent years.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:27 (Ref:973909)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
JAG - I havent seen the article u are talking about on DSC regarding the Aston Martin being ACO spec and not FIA. Perhaps u could tell me what the article is called and when its dated and I can look myself.

As for the ACO not bringing in a ballast system this proves my point regarding competion, look at the ALMS - after years of Audi domination the LMP 1 category is almost empty, and the GTS class isnt fairing much better, thanks to GM dominating in recent years.
5th May - Le Mans news (the Aston Position) on DSC

I think the ALMS problems are more to do with road racings troubles in the US than directly related to the domination of certain cars. Just look at the LMES and LM grids this year.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:39 (Ref:973917)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes Jag I too see the story u are reffering to, and u are correct, but I thought u was implying that the Aston martin will now debut in the ALMS/LMES instead of FIA GT as orginally intended. If im wrong then I apoligse. With regards to the ALMS, I think if u look back say 2 years ago and compare grids to what we have now I think that says everything, sure there are problems in USA at the moment, and thats part of the story. But i feel the main reason that the ALMS grids are so small now compared to say 2 years ago is domination of Porsche, GM and Audi. 2 years ago Audi, Porsche and GM had just started to stamp their authority on the series and people still had ideas about beating them, now they dont. My point is that yes the LMES has started well, but if there is domination by any 1 marque in each category I do feel that grids will also decline. A ballast system is what is needed IMHO.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:45 (Ref:973922)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
From reading the article, and what others have said, I think it is the plan to debut the car in either the LMES or ALMS, maybe PLM.

The Le Mans program is there main objective, with LMES/ALMS and FIA GT also being considered.

I would suspect an FIA GT program would be linked to having the same regs as the ACO, at least in the early stages of the project. (Works programs BTW).

Last edited by JAG; 17 May 2004 at 22:48.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:974323)   #22
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika Salo now in MC12

lmsr.net reports today that the MC12 is testing in France with Mika Salo

http://www.lmsr.net/mc12fr.html

More fuel for the rumor mill!!!

Last edited by independent; 18 May 2004 at 12:44.
Old 18 May 2004, 13:37 (Ref:974379)   #23
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ballast system in ACO races? Please don't even suggest that.

As was said here, if ACO didn't do anything regarding the Viper, the R8 or every other car who, at one time or another, dominated racing, why should it now?
Old 18 May 2004, 13:42 (Ref:974386)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What happened to Nicola Larini ? Now they have Bertolini-Salö-Massa-Badoer for the drive . I thought Massa was driving for Sauber in F1 ?

They should adapt a car for Zanardi-Nanninni ..... that would be cool !!!
Old 18 May 2004, 14:04 (Ref:974408)   #25
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And besides, ballast would be against the technical innovations that the ACO has preached recently. They want new cars to win, of course, but by merit, not by ballast.

Just one small question, is the Maserati ACO-approved? I was reading #21 of LeMans Racing Magazine and it said that the Maserati was more than 2000mm wide and so would not comply to the ACO rules.