Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?
Holden One Tonner S 1 7.14%
Falcon Ute 4 28.57%
Falcon Futura wagon 3 21.43%
Holden Crewman 3 21.43%
Holden Adventra CX8 2 14.29%
Navara/Triton/Courier/Rodeo 4WD dual cab ute 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 May 2004, 04:28 (Ref:985722)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please help me choose my next car

I have come up with a short list of cars to replace my current ride, a Holden Commodore Acclaim sedan, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

I need something that can carry two or three adults in comfort, carry plenty of gear and tow an 1800kg trailer. It also must offer a smooth, quiet ride, good accleration and cruising ability and not send me broke.

Please offer your thoughts and opinions. Bear in mind, I'm more interested in specifications and performance, than badges.
Old 28 May 2004, 04:39 (Ref:985731)   #2
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
two or three adults in comfort
Three Adults? Scratch the Holden One Tonner S, Falcon Ute, Falcon Futura wagon.

Crewman is a marketing excersize- compromises both in load carrying and passenger facilities see it fall waaaay short of the SS Wagon (which I'd have over sedan, ute, etc)

If the (Pricey) Adventra is on the list, why not an XR6T?

What about the new liberty range... A GT Wagon is a swift, suave ride (IMHO)

For the price you're investigating, I'd lean towards a WRX Hatch or Accord Euro, but they may not be able to tow 1800kg.
Old 28 May 2004, 04:43 (Ref:985734)   #3
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From that list, you can remove all the utes and cab chassis vehicles purely based on comfort. Adventra and Falcon wagon would be the choice, Falcon wagon of course being much cheaper.
Unfortunately, the Adventra hasn't got a very good reputation at the moment so you may want to put that on the bottom of the list

Last edited by Conrod Kieron; 28 May 2004 at 04:45.
Old 28 May 2004, 05:17 (Ref:985744)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pplater
Three Adults? Scratch the Holden One Tonner S, Falcon Ute, Falcon Futura wagon.

Crewman is a marketing excersize- compromises both in load carrying and passenger facilities see it fall waaaay short of the SS Wagon (which I'd have over sedan, ute, etc)

If the (Pricey) Adventra is on the list, why not an XR6T?

What about the new liberty range... A GT Wagon is a swift, suave ride (IMHO)

For the price you're investigating, I'd lean towards a WRX Hatch or Accord Euro, but they may not be able to tow 1800kg.
Thanks for the help pplater. I've had 5 adults in a Futura wagon, no worries. I really like the SS wagon, but I've heard that the Commodre IRS is unsuitable for towing. The Falcon brochure says the XR6 turbo is only rated to tow 1600kg. I wouldn't consider putting 1800kg behind a Liberty, Accord or Impreza.
Old 28 May 2004, 07:51 (Ref:985811)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything but a Holden, gee who ever thought I would ever say that.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:04 (Ref:986688)   #6
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would seriously consider a Ford Territory , have heard nothing but praise for the concept and execution of this vehicle . Great as you can configure it to suit your needs in either 2x4 or 4x4 .
Old 29 May 2004, 05:57 (Ref:986908)   #7
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about a landcruiser v8 ?
Old 29 May 2004, 08:48 (Ref:986999)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dave,

Looks like the Turbocharged Falcon is the winner by a mile!
Old 29 May 2004, 09:13 (Ref:987019)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Dave,

Agreed Al, who would have though Moffat and Bond ever agreeing on anything again after 77
Old 29 May 2004, 11:24 (Ref:987126)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David,
What about the new Ford Territory. I have had a couple of drives in them and they are great cars.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 30 May 2004, 12:05 (Ref:988089)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not in the price bracket of the others but the VY II Calais has turnedmy head in recent weeks. Had a close up look at one today very nice indeed, tough looking too, the wheels a tyres do that, the instruments very classy and ERuro looking, full cow in cream colour, smooth looking yet with a purposeful stance. Supercharged V6 this one was, I'd get the 5.7 if I was looking and had the $$$.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 May 2004, 21:27 (Ref:988655)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL at the poll results. That must mean that you have to buy half a dozen XR6s
Old 30 May 2004, 21:55 (Ref:988670)   #13
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
`Navara or Rodeo double cabs
Old 31 May 2004, 01:11 (Ref:988776)   #14
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Mazda Bravo T/D 4x4 dual cab owner and have towed a 1400kg boat from Sydney to Yamba with no problem..the recommended towing capacity is 1800kg braked...

Another alternative is the Mazda V6 Tribute towing capacity is only 1600kg though but also having owned one drives exceptional well and the 3.0ltr V6 has plenty of power. The safety features are great 6 airbags and ABS and this was one thing that saved my wife after a head on collision with an out of control car.

Comfort in a dual cab for back seat passengers in any make is not the best for long distances hope you find this a help.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:22 (Ref:988805)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Moff, it's not nice to rig polls, who do you think you are? Joh Bjelke Peterson?
Old 31 May 2004, 02:24 (Ref:988807)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Dave,

Turbo Falcon is limited to just 1600kg towing, no good for me, i need 1800kg.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:26 (Ref:988808)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by bartman71
how about a landcruiser v8 ?
Bart, that would be way out of my price range, expensive to run and I just don't like 4WD wagons.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:27 (Ref:988809)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I hadn't considered a Territory, what does it offer over the Futura wagon? How much are they?
Old 31 May 2004, 05:20 (Ref:988848)   #19
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Territory comes in 2wd and 4wd form, base 2wd starts at $38,990 + $4K if you want 4wd. Towing up to a max of 2300kg's.
Probably not a bad choice. Might be worth a trip to a Ford dealer as they have demos.

It probably doesn't offer anything over the Futura other than a higher ride height although the ride/handling is supposed to be very good, rear is Control Blade like Falcon sedan on Territory, Futura wagon has leaf springs.
Old 31 May 2004, 05:54 (Ref:988854)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Moff, why does your car come with roof and Cow? Is there something I'm missing or have you found an alternative to hitting roos?
Old 31 May 2004, 08:37 (Ref:988930)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Not in the price bracket of the others but the VY II Calais has turnedmy head in recent weeks. Had a close up look at one today very nice indeed, tough looking too, the wheels a tyres do that, the instruments very classy and ERuro looking, full cow in cream colour, smooth looking yet with a purposeful stance. Supercharged V6 this one was, I'd get the 5.7 if I was looking and had the $$$.
Matt, the VY Calais is a bloody nice car, but I've got an Acclaim atm and I'm finding a sedan to be seriuosly inconvenient. Eg. last weekend i couldn't even fit a 2 wheeled courier's trolley in the boot! It will have to be a wagon or ute.
Old 31 May 2004, 08:42 (Ref:988934)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieV8
As a Mazda Bravo T/D 4x4 dual cab owner and have towed a 1400kg boat from Sydney to Yamba with no problem..the recommended towing capacity is 1800kg braked...

Another alternative is the Mazda V6 Tribute towing capacity is only 1600kg though but also having owned one drives exceptional well and the 3.0ltr V6 has plenty of power. The safety features are great 6 airbags and ABS and this was one thing that saved my wife after a head on collision with an out of control car.

Comfort in a dual cab for back seat passengers in any make is not the best for long distances hope you find this a help.
The Tribute is out of the running if it can only tow 1600kg. How does a Bravo compare with a Courier? Is there any difference?
Old 31 May 2004, 08:43 (Ref:988936)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Conrod Kieron
The Territory comes in 2wd and 4wd form, base 2wd starts at $38,990 + $4K if you want 4wd. Towing up to a max of 2300kg's. Probably not a bad choice. Might be worth a trip to a Ford dealer as they have demos.

It probably doesn't offer anything over the Futura other than a higher ride height although the ride/handling is supposed to be very good, rear is Control Blade like Falcon sedan on Territory, Futura wagon has leaf springs.
Thanks for the tip Kieron. I may have to look at one of these as well.
Old 31 May 2004, 08:46 (Ref:988940)   #24
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Driving a Territory tonight not bad but I wouldn't pay for one
Old 31 May 2004, 08:57 (Ref:988957)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It's apparently level with the Falcon wagon in price, surprisingly, so how does it compare?