Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Jun 2004, 07:35 (Ref:989924)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFord Castle Combe 31st May

I was watching yesterdays meeting at Castle Combe and saw some great racing in all categories. The mini's that raced were as usual excellent to watch....but with many crashes (I think I counted 8 cars being towed back to the pits after the race!?!?)

After the mini race came the fford's (I normally race but I have injured my arm)

After 5 or 6 laps the race was red flagged much to my annoyance! It seemds that the ffords tend to get red flagged more than any other race ?

I know how dissapointing this can be when you are a driver as a lot of effort is put in before a wheel is turned.....and this must be dissapointing for the fans.

I didn't see the crash or know where the car was positioned (if it was in a dangerous position?) but it seemed as though it was just the 1 car ?

Any thoughts anyone ?

Tiptop
Old 1 Jun 2004, 07:59 (Ref:989941)   #2
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Understand it was a car with damaged suspension at Bobbies and not moveable.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 08:24 (Ref:989965)   #3
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car was right on the racing line exiting Tower and as Snapper Baz said, not moveable. It was a good call.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 08:25 (Ref:989969)   #4
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
good it seems as though this was for a good reason then well done to all the marshalls!
shame though as it was looking like a good race
Old 1 Jun 2004, 11:11 (Ref:990154)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a general point, this should be in the Club Level Single Seaters forum. For the driver's views on the incident, see www.clubff1600.co.uk.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 1 Jun 2004 at 11:30.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:35 (Ref:990523)   #6
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
ooo-arr27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to all the ff1600 drivers on Monday - Tower during qualifying was like an ice rink with two lots of oil being laid down during qualifying - lots of spins, but everyone was cautious enough to keep out out of the tyres. Excellent viewing though! (as usual)
Old 2 Jun 2004, 09:15 (Ref:991224)   #7
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, I'll stick my neck out for shooting here.

This is the second time this year a CC FF1600 race has been stopped for a car blocking the track and not being movable (although the last time with Andy Harris's RF90 was debatable) So fine - red flag the race. This is also the second time it has not been restarted, again why....???

I personally think (I am ready for a kicking here) that the Combe officials are may be loosing site of the racing at present.

The last time the red flag came out it was obvious they where running short on time due to other accidents in earlier races, however 4 laps had been completed by all exepct Ed Moore who had just started his 5th lap when the red flags came out. This was deemed "half distance and stopped" a LOT of people where dissapointed at this.

Mondays red flag again 5 laps in and stopped and not restarted, and this is the interesting start for me. It appears officials where looking for an excuse to cut the race short before it even begun.

If you where at Combe on Monday you'll know that the start of the FF1600 race was dry - but with threatening clouds, once race official was heard talking to another race offical saying "if the rain gets much worse we'll just stop the race" this was when the cars where lining up on the grid and the race had not even started ! so when an accident happened it must have been like a Birthday gift for the officals to stop and not restart the race. this is twice the local championships (circuit bread and butter) has been punished for other accidents in other races that where stopped and restarted or not even stopped. Once again I am left feeling well out of pocket, in the space of 3 races I've raced a total of 20 laps from 32 due to redflags at combe.

While I'm having my general rant the communication between race control / marshals (no dig at the marshals here) appears to have been rubbish and have no authority.

From lap one until the end of qualifying 2 cars where allowed to trail around the track on the racing line dropping oil all over the place, why where these cars not shown the black and orange flag and brought in for a serious fault

a.) it ruins the racing
b.) the drive may not be aware and drives on line all around the circuit
c.) It is dangerous

Last year I followed Wayne pool who was dropping oil for 6 laps before he dumped almost his whole tank and half the field went off at tower, yet (no dig at Wayne) he was allowed to continue without any flags until the chequered flag lap when he was shown the black and Orange.

Race control appears to be quick on the draw for teh red flag but not so quick to make a call for any other flag.

The officals of late seem so far inserted into themselves (I'm all set for the 99 place penelty I'll get in revenge for this) that they laugh off critisism and don't act.

Once again the race was cut from 12 laps to 10 before it even started (according to the program at least) and then cut to 5 thanks to the red flags.

Utter shambles and more money flushed away.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 09:20 (Ref:991227)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt

A few quick points: it was only ever meant to be ten laps (the 12 laps in the programme was a misprint); and as the race had gone more than 50% of the distance you don't get a restart (which is standard across all championships).

Perhaps you should lobby for 20-minute races, which would be more in line with the other regions and certainly worthy of the number of cars the series attracts. And it would at least guarantee you ten minutes of racing!
Old 2 Jun 2004, 09:30 (Ref:991237)   #9
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt,

completly with you mate. the main reason i left combe was from the dyer desicions from officials. there are a lot of good officials and people their but a few that spoil the racing. i think wherever you race there is always some grievance but combe really does seem to out do itself. i've always hoped it get better so i can come back. you boys should all get together and lobby like Ian suggests. they rely on the FF for crowds and the main event although they never say that. they already have lost alot of good drivers and if more go ot suggest they will maybe something could happen. they need to attract not repel.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 10:01 (Ref:991263)   #10
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Matt & RMR,

I'm pleased to hear at the some other drivers feel the same as I do when it comes to shelling out the entrance fee...then only doing 5 or 6 laps!

Upon walking around the circuit on Monday I heard countless comments from people asking about the fford race, who were lokking forward to some close racing. I then purposely stood for 30 minutes near the marshalls post listening to the marshalls prior to the ffords.

The marshalls were saying that they need to cut down some of the races as the programm is just to packed!

Put me down for the lobby
Old 2 Jun 2004, 12:57 (Ref:991462)   #11
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt.
As you know i love FF1600 and this is why i come to Combe
to watch that race. It was a shame to see the race cut short
when you were flying through the field. The JCC race was cut
in length but the Racical enduros got a full 35 mins. Why affect the the best races of the day to watch 15 Radicals
drive around for 35 mins at the end . Why did the Radicals get a full 35 mins ?????
Does
Old 2 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:991628)   #12
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RMR/tiptop/Jimmer

comments appriciated, the fact that that thr local championships seem to be getting the brunt of the bad decisions is crazy.

Race control needs to get a grip, and instead of threatening to strip cars of championship points for missing the BRSCC badge (yes this did happen) try managing the track, and restarting races and managing the flags on the marshals posts to a reasonable degree.

There is far to much petty power hungry people at combe, the scruitineers are just getting out of control, and race control appears to be some sort of comedy routine (expect to see me start in the pit lane for these comments) but something needs to be said.

Matray tried to voice his opinions and there just wasn't enough interest, some people are either happy to just accept it or not bothered.

Jimmer - you can't cut the radicals race as they will then boycot the circuit next year, which means less money for the circuit, so I am sure there is pressure from the owners on the BRSCC/other club to make sure that runs until the end.

The truth is the Saloon car / FF1600 championship would be a tough one to reduce numbers in as its such good racing with some good drivers, so there will always be a full grid therefore it won't matter if a few people leave it will still run.

Puts a bit more fuel in my fire to make more of an effort to do a SOM/NW round next time out though

Maybe up to brans to give RMR a pasting
Old 2 Jun 2004, 15:37 (Ref:991650)   #13
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
thought that was a serious post until the end not doing brands. cant be arsed paying 190 to race with 9 others. rather travel to nw myself (if i could get in!). mallory doesnt tickle me. will do the king of kents too. like to do combe but dont like the politics.

mattray is always starting trouble!! never stops.

like i said understand where you are coming from. they really think they have a monopoly of racers there and think they wont leave. so many of us have left, and it does good to do different places also otherwise just get into a rut.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 15:39 (Ref:991655)   #14
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Its a pity that people just seem to accept it. I just cannot afford to waste my money especially if we all only get 5 -6 laps. I walked away from Combe on Monday feeling very low as I came to see the ffords and the race was just so short.

I'm also considering selling my car and walking away from Combe just because I can't justify spending all that money for such little track time.....

*sigh*
Old 2 Jun 2004, 15:59 (Ref:991676)   #15
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
there are other places to race paul. and alot better places too. ok bristol is a fair way from mallory, silv, oulton etc but dont sell a car and give up because combe **** you off.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:14 (Ref:991688)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym

you can't cut the radicals race as they will then boycot the circuit next year
Problem?
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:18 (Ref:991693)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RMR
not doing brands. cant be arsed paying 190 to race with 9 others. rather travel to nw myself (if i could get in!). mallory doesnt tickle me. will do the king of kents too. like to do combe but dont like the politics.
**** me! Is there anywhere you like?

Seriously, you should've done Silverstone last weekend.

Don't forget the Irish double header at Silverstone on 31st July and the BIG MONEY Edwina Overend trophy at Mallory in August.

What's wrong with Mallory then - have you ever raced there?

Quite a few people say they don't want to race there (although they seem to have little or no real experience of the place) but I don't know why as the racing is mega-close and the barrier is further away generally compared to, say, Brands or (definitely) Oulton...

Last edited by JohnMiller; 2 Jun 2004 at 16:19.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:30 (Ref:991708)   #18
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
i know i should of. i simply cant afford to do too many. i did want to, shame as it looked good fun.

no not knocking the place, never been there so i have no right too, just a place that i dont fancy doing? im sure a test or race will change my mind. anyway JD had tried talking me into it on many occasions.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:38 (Ref:991716)   #19
JohnMiller
Veteran

What's the problem with Combe then? I was thinking of going down there later in the year for a round.
PM if you want.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:46 (Ref:991725)   #20
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a mere spectator I was fed up that I paid £12 and only got half a FF1600 race - I don't know what I'd do if I'd paid £165 to race and only got 5 laps...

It seems that Castle Combe and the BRSCC SW is taking the p*** out of the FF1600 drivers.

30+ each meeting that's more than 5 grand in entry fees - easily pays for the officials' shirts & blazers...

But what would they do if more drivers like RMR did vote with their feet?

People at Quarry were waiting all afternoon for the FF1600 race and were seriously annoyed to see the red flags and no re-start.

If next year grids shrink because of the way drivers are treated do you think all those people are going to come?

I'll go where there are big grids and good racing simple as that.

Perhaps Combe's FF1600 drivers need their equivalent of the GPDA... but make sure the spokesman/person is over 60 as that seems to be the only way they get attention at the Wiltshire track!

Last edited by alfaman; 2 Jun 2004 at 16:48.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:46 (Ref:991726)   #21
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
sorry was going a bit off topic. basically following on from what matt said. combe is great for one offs and the odd visit. for a full championship it really get on your tits. they invent rules and fines. example, when i was there the leader won the race but overtook on yellows. one of the teams complained and gave him a 2 second penalty which meant he kept 2nd place by 0.003etc. 2 races later the same incident happened down the field and the guy got a 10 second? also you hit a marker board you get a stop go penalty? they really think they have a ruling of there own there. im sure you have heard this on the sffc 1800 forum. they are afraid of certain ff1600 reg teams and upsetting them. i did 3/4 years and the consistency was terrible. i could handle it now and then but combe it happens every race. i can name at least 5 people that left because of it and it seems they are likely to be more. apart from that its a cracking ciruit and has some great corners. most people are really friendly and i would say go there for a round but not a championship.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:55 (Ref:991736)   #22
JohnMiller
Veteran

You do not doing Brands then Richard?

I've been thinking about:

A entering the 1600 race

or

B entering the Zetec race

or

C painting the garage doors at home (cheaper and somewhat closer)

I had heard there would be 'loads' of entries for Brands...?

Mind you, I've been advised 'dat you'll need extra tick wishbones' for the NI rounds at Silverstone so I may give that a miss and do Oulton island.

Last edited by JohnMiller; 2 Jun 2004 at 16:57.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 17:32 (Ref:991776)   #23
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
.... so I may give that a miss and do Oulton island.
Good man John, but get your entry in asap
Old 2 Jun 2004, 18:15 (Ref:991817)   #24
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am planning to do the Combe double header in August......you guys don't half sell your championship well!!!

Is it worth me coming for 10 laps over 2 races??

Last edited by Redracer77; 2 Jun 2004 at 18:16.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 22:01 (Ref:992034)   #25
mattsdad
Rookie

mattsdad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as matt is not around at the moment I guess i will have to jump in again and try to save his reputation after the savaging from RMR earlier!! Just a couple of observations..The first year we did the CC championship was an interesting experience and we started to learn a lot about motor racing politics. One of the oddest incidents was a telling off from another competitor who put Matt firmly on the grass and had the temerity to defend himself by saying that Matt had no right to be there as he was in a class B car! Year 2 in the Ray was frankly downright dangerous. We considered painting a target on the car but in the end it just was'nt worth the hassle and we left mid season very disappointed. By all means do one off races, Combe is a fabulous place, but forget a championship campaign.
Red flags are I am afraid here to stay with the abandonment of the black and yellow quarter flag. My suggestion would be to lobby to have that re-instated, neutralise a race until the debris is clear then get on with it. Simple eh?