Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

View Poll Results: Which was your favourite games console?
Commodore 64 0 0%
Amiga 1 5.56%
Nintendo 0 0%
Super Nintendo 4 22.22%
Nintendo 64 0 0%
Sega Master System 0 0%
Sega Mega Drive 4 22.22%
Playstation 5 27.78%
Playstation 2 1 5.56%
XBOX 2 11.11%
Gamecube 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Jun 2004, 00:17 (Ref:1004191)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your favourite console of all time?

Title says it all really.

Well, which consoles have you owned, and which gave you the most hours of fun?

I've owned a few consoles in my time...

Commodore 64
Sega MegaDrive
Nintendo 64
Playstation
Playstation 2
X Box

Overall I probably spent most time on my Mega Drive when I was a teenager. Fav games were StreetFighter II, Super-Monaco GP, Streets of Rage, Mortal Kombat, Skitchin' , Cannon Fodder, Theme Park, Virtua Racing, Sonic the Hedgehog and loads of others I can't think of right now.

Sorry if I missed any from the poll.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 02:43 (Ref:1004231)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to say it was close to the first Nintendo or Sega genesis but playstation wins
it was the system to make games more than just games, they were movies, real races to watch and it was filled with wonder awe and horror.
it has been done better some say by XBOX but Playstation is the revolution and always the crown prince of consoles
Old 15 Jun 2004, 05:01 (Ref:1004269)   #3
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And where is the Gamecube in those options?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1004529)   #4
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
And where is the Gamecube in those options?
I've added it now.

I've had loads of consoles:

Sega Game Gear, Master System, Megdrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gameboy, GB colour, Playstation, PS2 and a few old Atari's.

In my opinion, the Playstation is the best. It took the world by storm and I for one didn't expect it.

In production from 1994 to 2003 (in PSOne format), was it the longest produced console ever?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1004635)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
In production from 1994 to 2003 (in PSOne format), was it the longest produced console ever?
Think so, yep.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1004650)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have played the most with the Sega Master System, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation (bought it straight away when it came out here) and PS2 (ditto).

Out of those the playstation is by far the best in terms of impact and game enjoyment.

Nowadays i mainly play on the PC which has far more possibilities like modding and stuff.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1004763)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The PC

To be honest my brothers had a Commodore 64, but I can't really talk about that. We had a Sega Master System II which gave us great hours of pleasure and enjoyment, but it's amazing how everything ends up outdated in this computer world. I also played with the Game Boy a little, but ever since I got a PC in 1996...
Old 15 Jun 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1004997)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Playstation 1 and 2 are my personal faves of all time, closely followed by my trusty old warhorses: Amiga 500, Sega Mega Drive........still play on them today.

The worst console ever has to be the Sega Saturn. I've never been so embarrassed to be playing on something......thank god I never bought one!

X-Box is a good machine, hampered by poor games whilst Gamecube is hampered by the fact it looks like a silly purple box with kids games.

As for Commodores and all that.....love 'em!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:26 (Ref:1005621)   #9
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
The worst console ever has to be the Sega Saturn. I've never been so embarrassed to be playing on something......thank god I never bought one!

I've got one, and in my opinion theres little wrong with it. I think the controllers are a little small, and Sega didn't promote it well enough for the top developers to stay on board, but it had some games of genius. NiGHTS and Saturn Bomberman were fantastic. 16 players at once on Bomberman!

Also, it was the only console at the time to have in-built memory for saving games.

Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1005754)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the past I have owned:

Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga 600
Sega Master System 2
Game Boy
SNES
Playstation
Atari Jaguar (briefly)
N64
Game Boy Color
Playstaion 2 - still have
Xbox - still have

As for the vote, it would easily be the latest consoles, but thinking about nostalgia I voted Super Nintendo (SNES).

I'm at the age where I was in early secondary school when the battle between Mega-drive and SNES was at it's highest since they were battling it out to be the best at the time.

There were two distinct camps. The Mega-drive lot and the SNES lot. I was in the SNES camp. We'd spend most of our time ripping the p*** out of each otheris console and games.

I still stand by it today. Just remembering it now makes me want to pick up a SNES joypad and have a go on F-Zero (Classic!), Mariokart (The ultimate!) Super Mario World (remember when parallax scrolling came out it was awe-inspiring?) and Star Wing (pushing the boundaries) to name but a few.

Ahhhh... those were the days.

*takes the rose-tinted glasses out of their case*

Last edited by Spudgun; 16 Jun 2004 at 11:53.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1005838)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
There were two distinct camps. The Mega-drive lot and the SNES lot. I was in the SNES camp. We'd spend most of our time ripping the p*** out of each otheris console and games.
Hang on,... me too!

*"it's a small world" tune kicks in*

Old 16 Jun 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1005899)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Games just don't impress me as much today as they did back then. Even with a high spec PC and a PS2 there is very rarly something that makes me go "wow!" (Waiting for MGS3 though ). Anyway, in the past I have had

GameBoy - Not a colour or anything like that, a big white chunky one. Oh yeah.

Amiga 600 - Well this was my brothers really, but I played it loads. Jeff Crammonds' Grand Prix was awesome for me. Would play it for hours.

PS1 - The classic. Still got all my games from 1997-2001. Although I have got the odd few since then. Metal Gear Solid, F1'97 and the greatest racing game ever made - Ridger Racer Type 4 - were the highlights. Although there was many more. When I got it in 1997, it was still fairly new so I got to see all the advances as they happened really. Good times.

PS2 - What I'm playing these days. MGS2, Vice City and IndyCar Series are my favs. Impressive at first, but these days there is nothing out that really breaks any new ground. It's a shame to see the developers taking a very "pop music" style approach to it - sticking with safe franchises rather than trying to be original. Again, MGS3 may, and probably will, break that mold. I'm told that issue 50 of the offical PS2 mag will have a playable demo.

These days, I'm mostly playing my PC. I still sometimes whip out the PS2 now and again. Not that many games out there that have me reaching for my wallet on any platform. IndyCar Series 2005, MGS3 (again ) and BattleField 2 is it really.

Shame the gaming industry can't just be 1997 all over again.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1005927)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Amiga 600 - Well this was my brothers really, but I played it loads. Jeff Crammonds' Grand Prix was awesome for me. Would play it for hours.
Oh yes! Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. The original.

I remember when I first played it on a stand at the International Motor Show at Earl's Court in the winter of 1992. It makes me feel quite old! (hopefully Ayse won't see this ) At the time it looked and felt so good drive that my chin was on the floor.

That's the reason I got (pestered my parents for) the Amiga 600 as the game came with a bundle.

It's all coming back...

*still looking through those rose tinted glasses*
Old 16 Jun 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1005961)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From a nostalgic point of view, the SNES gets my vote. I loved that machine.

Nowadays, my trusty old PS2 (sitting at home while here in England) gets my nod. It's first-class while the two new ones out - XBOX and Gamecube - may have nifty features, but are seriously lacking in the games department... or, better yet, programmers are nowadays releasing games on all three platforms.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1006292)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I remember the first time I played Grand Prix 2. It was at my uncle's house so I only wanted to go there to play the damn game! (They live 274 km away from here)
But then I discovered IndyCar Racing II with my good old Pentium @ 100 Mhz.
I played ICR2 so much I broke the left arrow key in my keyboard. Then I played with other keys but I ended up breaking the "X" key as well!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1006293)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, the Amiga and Commodore are not consoles.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1006301)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not a console player at all - my pc is far, far better.

But I have owned a Mega Drive and a Saturn. Had a lot of fun with the Mega Drive so I plumped for that.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1006305)   #18
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
By the way, the Amiga and Commodore are not consoles.
Very true. But other than games, the 'useful' applications were useless!

Although saying that you could do a bit of word processing and DP on the Amiga.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1006309)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I'm not a console player at all - my pc is far, far better.
I agree, I do far more gaming on the PC, but whilst on a boozy night in with yer mates you can't beat a console gaming session.

You can enjoy yourself, but you can also internally say 'I would eat you lot for breakfast on GPL'.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1006524)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the only console that's been mine was an Nintend 64, which I was tempted to vote for because I had Zelda and V-Rally '99 plus some F1 game which were all pretty fun, and it was the first console we ever had in the house.
My bother has since had a Playstation and now an XBOX, but because he's got more games for the XBOX like RalliSport Challenge, Rainbow Six 3, Halo, Turok, and others I like it more.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1008256)   #21
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gosh. You whippersnappers with your 'Gameboys' and 'PlayBoxes' and whatnow.

Where is the Atari VCS CX2600? That was good and in colour too

I just looked under my sofa and found - and my vote goes to - the Grandstand 4600 De-Luxe Colour Video Sports Centre with electronic console control. It has 6 exciting games 'Practise', 'Squash', 'Soccer', 'Tennis', 'Rifle No. 1' and 'Rifle No. 2'
Old 18 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1008292)   #22
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Richy_Rich
Gosh. You whippersnappers with your 'Gameboys' and 'PlayBoxes' and whatnow.

My earliest memory of the best thing around was the Atari 7800. Then I was gobsmacked when the Sega Master System came out.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1009929)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had one of the very first ping pong tennis thingies...... does that count?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1010441)   #24
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I've still got one.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1011425)   #25
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was the Playstation that revoltionaire i seem to remember Amiga bringing out a disc console (which did not do very well) similar to the playstation but was it before the playstation or not. anyway myfavourite console is ...... the Amiga 600

consoles i've owned
Commadore 64
Amiga 500+600
Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
Playstation 2