Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1008578)   #1
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taku - hazzard

I didn't watch it, but I have read the reports of yesterday's collision.

Both Taku and Massa shoulder some responsibility for what happened, but . . . It is, IMHO, most attributable to Sato being too aggressive at times when it is foolish to say the least. This was practice, not a race, and in practice, one should not take chances with messing up one's ride and missing practice.

In the beginning of the season, I liked Sato and thought he had a future. Now, I personally believe Taku is dangerous and posses a threat to every driver on the track. Aside from the spins, many in including MS have had them, Sato has put his BAR into 3 drivers in 3 consecutive race weekends (and I submit he has two more days left in this one). In Canada, he was lucky to not have collided with the other two in turn 10, but the potential was there and it created unnecessary stress for the other two drivers, as they had to take evasive action. In each case, it was taking stupid chances - thinking the other guy would let him through - miscalculating risk.

Give him a horn on his BAR.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1008588)   #2
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But... but... but...... but he's a ... eh... racer...
Old 19 Jun 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1008590)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa's Sauber has mirrors right? Perhaps Massa should start using them.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1008593)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And obey the blue flags that had been waved at him.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1008598)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa is just as bad as Sato. It was inevitable with these two in close proximity to each other. Speed is nothing without control.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jun 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1008610)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This from the official formula one website. www.formula1.com

"........................ and Sato, who did only three laps because he tangled with Massa while attempting another of his patented late braking passing moves in Turn One. "
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1008621)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just because it's on the F1 website doesn't make it the official view of the FIA.

That's merely the interpretation of the journalist who wrote it.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1008630)   #8
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people were saying the same thing about Montoya in 2001 after the Canadian Gp.

He's young and inexperienced. He will learn. As will Massa
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1008632)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Sato & Massa are known for their ability to find an accident so it shouldn't come as a suprise that they have a collision while in the same part of the circuit.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1008647)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Just because it's on the F1 website doesn't make it the official view of the FIA.

That's merely the interpretation of the journalist who wrote it.
F1Atic hadn't seen it neither have I.

He did make a passing move and it apparently failed.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1008648)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed at so many people are commenting on something they admit they haven't seen.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1008654)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder whether he's generally just pushing too hard to try to keep up with Jense.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1008661)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I'm amazed at so many people are commenting on something they admit they haven't seen.
Well I guess we've got two choices here. We can ask for views of the posters or wait for Autosport on Thursday (unless we pay to visit the website that is).

Chill out KB its only a discussion. If you don't want to join in then don't post.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1008681)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
I wonder whether he's generally just pushing too hard to try to keep up with Jense.
Last year he was testing and I don't believe there were any "problems" of this nature. So you could have a point. It would seem to be over driving but we'll have to see as the season progresses. Although I have to say if he is over driving then I am disappointed because at the beginning of the year and at Suzuka last year he was showing good promise.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1008695)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe DR isn't saving much money after all. IF Jacques was still there as he should be, he would likely be driving the same car that he started the season with ... not to mention where the BAR team would be in the championship race. No doubt much closer and with better than a few 3rd place finishes to show; maybe even a win or at least a few double podium appearances. Perhaps DR is regreting that driver exchange, although he'd never admit it. Couldn't resist that one.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1008700)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Maybe DR isn't saving much money after all. IF Jacques was still there as he should be, he would likely be driving the same car that he started the season with ... not to mention where the BAR team would be in the championship race. No doubt much closer and with better than a few 3rd place finishes to show; maybe even a win or at least a few double podium appearances. Perhaps DR is regreting that driver exchange, although he'd never admit it. Couldn't resist that one.
Poor...

Saying that Villeneuve would get better results than Sato is one thing (Jacques himself has a history of misplaced overtaking manoeuvres (Spa 2000, Indy 2001), saying he would get better results than Button is based upon absolutly nothing. Looking at 2003, it would be a fairer assumption that he wouldn't.

Couldn't resist that one.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1008702)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is history!

Sato is definately getting into too much trouble on track. It was Massa's fault but Sato could have avoided it. Massa, could/should have moved over especially seeing the blue flags. Sato should have seen that Massa was not giving way and was determined to ruin his fast lap. So be it, there are other laps.

Back to JV, was he not spending some time racing Minardis last year. Did he not have a huge amount of failures too. Maybe he is not that much better than Sato. Sato does not attempt to push his teammate offline either. Lets not get into the JV could/would/should have been at BAR. Its over with.

If Sato continues on this trait I think he should be replaced. Honda makes good motors for JB but somehow poor ones for Sato.

I see conspiracy! I think Toyota is involved. It Jock Clear!! He is a spy and he is sabotaging the cars. He did it to JV last year and now Sato.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1008705)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps you were looking for this thread Lets move on (and keep this thread on topic).

The overdriving to keep near Jenson is an interesting point. Personally I think it is too hard to tell, but I'll run with it for a second. If the overdriving is manifesting itself in practice because of this then there is a problem.

It is too difficult to comment at the moment on that particular incident. Massa says that Sato came from too far behind. Sato says Massa was travelling slow and didn't respond to blue flags (Autosport.com).

Last edited by Adam43; 19 Jun 2004 at 15:35.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1008708)   #19
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The overdriving to keep near Jenson is an interesting point. Personally I think it is too hard to tell, but I'll run with it for a second. If the overdriving is manifesting itself in practice because of this then there is a problem.

It is too difficult to comment at the moment on that particular incident. Massa says that Sato came from too far behind. Sato says Massa was travelling slow and didn't respond to blue flags (Autosport.com). [/B]
If you are given the blue flag, especially on a straight like the one at Indy it is easy to yield way. Massa ignored the flags. The blue flags are at up the the drivers discression its telling him to get the heck out of the way, which he did not. Sato may not be the mild mannered guy that people think he is. After the incident he sounded really annoyed and his aggression as of late really reminds me of JPM but with lesser judgement.

I dont feel he is a hazard but he does need to make better choices on track.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1008712)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I get the impression that Sato only caught Massa by the end of the staright.

Sounds like a misunderstanding (to me) at the moment. I wonder if we'll get to see it?

Last edited by Adam43; 19 Jun 2004 at 15:51.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1008724)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
didnt see the incident... but i guess Sato must be feeling the pressure as the podiums keep rolling for Jense...

He has been unlucky with mechanical failures and if it werent for them he would probably have a decent haul of points!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1008725)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://f1files.f1news.ru/9-2-fri-sato-massa.mpg

say no more

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Jun 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1008728)   #23
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
massa reacts

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=54798

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Jun 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1008732)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IF they were BOTH on hot laps.... seems as though Massa cramped Taku for room... But depends on who was on a hot lap...
But still was this type of overtaking move really required in a practice session?

thanks for the clip Dani!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1008737)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm not sure hot laps are that much of an issue - it is only practice.

Sato was well alongside. I think Massa didn't see him (which he should have). I don't think this incident is down to any pressure Sato is on.