Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1013414)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
White flags

I noted in the US Grand Prix a white flag being shown and was confussed as to why a white flag was being shown when it was not one lap to go. I have now checked this and found that it was to indicate slower traffic. So my question is:

What does the white flag mean in each country and should there be a new flag for slow traffic/last lap?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1013419)   #2
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
White flags not only vary from country to country but from series to series. In US road racing, the white flag usually indicates either a very slow moving race car or a non-racing vehicle (ambulance, tow truck, etc.) on the course. It is shown by the two stations prior to the vehicle.

One lap to go is indicated by a number board and by the starter holding up his index finger to the drivers. Oval racers use a white flag for one lap to go.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1013479)   #3
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The white flag indicates slow moving vehicle on track in the UK too and for this reason it is often, incorrectly, known as the "Ambulance" flag.
I've never seen a one lap to go sign, usually I am too busy driving and checking gauges as I pass the pits!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1013484)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my 12 years of Marshalling, I've never known it be called the Ambulance Flag!! You live n learn!
Must be a driver terminology!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1013593)   #5
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that the white flag shouldn't be used for is to indicate a snatch vehicle is in use. It should be covered by yellow flags, or double yellows if the circuit regs require it (ie @ Croft).

Sorry, but it annoys me slightly when I see it happening.
Al.

Last edited by Alan Green; 23 Jun 2004 at 16:56.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1013743)   #6
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi.
Please refer to http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1013877)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I gather ASCAR are having difficulty because they wanted to use the white for 'last lap' and FIA won't let them, so they're having to come up with something else!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1013884)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear! For years I've been telling drivers that it meant the marshals had surrendered
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:35 (Ref:1013979)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
One thing that the white flag shouldn't be used for is to indicate a snatch vehicle is in use. It should be covered by yellow flags, or double yellows if the circuit regs require it (ie @ Croft). Sorry, but it annoys me slightly when I see it happening. Al.
In the US, any vehicle stopped on course rates at least a waving yellow as well as any time that ANY workers are on the `hot' side of the Armco. If said vehicle is off course a standing yellow is employed. Any slow moving vehicle including those responding to an incedent are covered with a white flag per Blueflagger's original comment. The double yellow is reserved for pace/safety car operations.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:20 (Ref:1014071)   #10
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bike racing here in the US has a white flag with a red cross on it called the Ambulance Flag. The red cross, and the term, are not used for auto racing.

Thanks for clarifying Bear. Yes, the white flag covers slow cars and rescue vehicles "in motion" on the track only. Waved yellow is used while the snatch is being performed.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1014250)   #11
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blueflagger
Bike racing here in the US has a white flag with a red cross on it called the Ambulance Flag.
For World SuperBikes and MotoGP this flag is being used as the rain flag, however, for BSB it is the Safety Car Flag.

Also in bike racing the white flag is only used for circuit traffic and not competitors although it does double as the Safety Car flag in the KRC series.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1 ..should there be a new flag for slow traffic/last lap?
Bikes use a Last Lap flag: a black diagonal cross on a yellow flag and if a slower rider crossed the line just in front of the leader the blue flag is shown along with the chequered flag.

Old 24 Jun 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1014298)   #12
Cedric
Rookie

New Zealand
Invercargill
Cedric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The white Flag in Aussie & NZ is for SLOW moving vechiles on the black stuff including competitors limping back to there pit crew. And yes a white can change to a yellow real quite as the vechile grinds to a halt or as i have seen slide of the tilt tray and be deposited on the track.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1020063)   #13
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
I gather ASCAR are having difficulty because they wanted to use the white for 'last lap' and FIA won't let them, so they're having to come up with something else!
Chris, (ASCAR) or Days of Thunder as it is now known use a white flag with a red diagonal stripe to indicate the last lap of both the DoT and Pick-up races following the FIA observation.

It's amazing what you can do to a white flag with a bit of red tank tape c/o John Steward's team. New flag created in 2 minutes flat.