Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jun 2004, 00:33 (Ref:1015407)   #1
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news

Some sad news came my way today. Fluella Ummel of Indianapolis, our Recorder in CART Race Control for many years, passed away from cancer yesterday. Her husband, Eldon, was the "hand" in the pace car while Fluella was up in Control, and later the two of them held emeritus hard cards.

Fluella was one of the kindest people you'd ever hope to meet. She began giving checker-flag angel pins to all the corner workers (and especially course observers) she knew, and made sure we all wore them to stay safe -- especially after Toronto in '96. Some of us have her "Never drive faster than your angel can fly" stickers on our corner buckets too. She was always there for us with a hug and a good word, and put up with our hijinks with great humour (altho I did once cause her to actually fall off her chair in Race Control laughing at something I said over the landline at the Vancouver Indy one year).

Fluella had beaten cancer once before, but when it came back this time we knew she'd have difficulty beating it. I'm glad to have known such a gentle soul, and sorry that yet another great facet of CART has been lost forever.

My thoughts are with Eldon, and with the rest of Fluella's family.

Sadly,
keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 25 Jun 2004 at 00:34.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 00:40 (Ref:1015410)   #2
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry to hear that, keke. My deepest condolences go out to the Ummel family.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1015786)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1015887)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Join the condolences
Old 25 Jun 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1016430)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that, and thanks for bringing it up and letting us know, Keke.