Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1015673)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Race Commentary Ever ?

What is the best race commentary you have ever heard ?...one that had you on the edge of your seat and really added to the action that you were watching on the screen ?...

Yesterday , ( i had a bit of time on my hands )......
so i decided to dig out and watch and old race tape ive got of French GP 1983 from Paul Ricard .

What absolute fantastic commentry from James Hunt and Murray Walker ! ..Well , more James Hunt infact .

Niki Lauda and Elio de Angelis were having a right ding dong battle on the track ...and James Hunt ( obvioulsy a good friend of Lauda ) was showing his support for the Austrian with crys of " go on Niki " and " yes " everytime Lauda tried to take a lunge up the inside of De Angelis .

You could tell Hunt was really enjoying this race in a big way , and his enthusiam carried across in the commentary which really added to the excitement of the race .

Although James Hunt was being very biased in his commentary as he wanted Lauda to beat De Angelis , it made the race so much more exciting simply as he was getting passionate about it .

what was the best Commentary race you can remember or have watched recently ?

Last edited by Sato san; 25 Jun 2004 at 09:14.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1015677)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The best commentary recently was James Allen asking Martin Brundle once again to explain somthing really obvious "to the viewers at home", and Martin saying "I'm sorry James, I was listening to somthing else"
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1015732)   #3
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He started explain what it was he was listening to as well and James just shouted what he'd just said over him. If I was Martin I'd have lamped him at that point.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1015734)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Are you ready to rock'n'roll?? GOOOOOOOOO!"

Er. No.

My favourite commentary was Spa '98, because I had to go round the Town and Country Show listening to it on my radio and I was wetting myself, quite frankly. I've never before or since had a GP I was recording use up the whole of a tape...the tension, not knowing what was happening - and I think the 5 Live commentators sound great.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1015737)   #5
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Best Race Commentary Ever ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
What is the best race commentary you have ever heard ?...one that had you on the edge of your seat and really added to the action that you were watching on the screen ?...
Difficult to pick a particular race but it must be a John Hindhaugh ALMS or Radio Le Mans commentary -- the great thing about Hindy's commentary is that he's not slick or glib, he calls a spade a spade and listening to him and his crew commentating on a race feels like you're sitting there with a bunch of real enthusiasts who just happen to be able to see more than you can!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1015750)   #6
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was as much the racing as anything, but I was loving the 2004 Monarco GP. I was loving it, watching JT beat JB and listen to Martin and James try to built JB up. But i'm only 18, so I can hardly testify. I'd love to hear some of the old one's. Shame you can never find a season review with Jim Clark in it.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1015755)   #7
JohnVine
Rookie

JohnVine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By far the best ever was Ben Edwards's commentary at Michigan in the last few laps of the Andretti / Montoya duel in CART

I have the tape and mp3 of it and it is simply commentary at its best
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1015771)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
[i]
My favourite commentary was Spa '98,

That was a memorable one.

At the lap one pile up, I can still vividly remember Murray's "This is terrible, this is quite appalling, this is the worst start to a Grand Prix I have ever seen in the whole of my life"

Then later, when Schumacher hit the back of Coulthard, Murray screamed "OH GOD" at the top of his voice.

I felt that one rather revealed Walker's pro-Michael bias, but never the less he was enthusiastic and memorable.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1015788)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murray did not have - or at least display - a pro-Michael bias. His comments were based in genuine shock at the events - the lap 1 pile-up looked much worse than it was, but as it was unravelling (so to speak) we weren't to know that. And I think his reaction to Michael hitting Coulthard was sheer surprise - nothing to do with which driver he favoured.

That was certainly one of the more memorable commentaries. As was Murray's commentary of Damon Hill's championship winning race -

I'm going to have to stop now because I've got a lump in my throat.

Now THAT displayed Murray's bias!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1015790)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Murray did support Damon, yes, due to being mates with his dad and everything.

But he did in latter years clearly favour Schumacher.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1015856)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnVine
By far the best ever was Ben Edwards's commentary at Michigan in the last few laps of the Andretti / Montoya duel in CART

Simply fantastic. The first thing I thought when I heard this thread.

Thinking of specific moments in F1 then there is James Hunt at Donington '93 and Martin Brundle at Jerez '97.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1015858)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Then later, when Schumacher hit the back of Coulthard, Murray screamed "OH GOD" at the top of his voice.
The noise he made when DC hit the pitlane in Adelaide '95 was fantastic.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1015860)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

OOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUHHHHHHHH

Something like that, I recall
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1015881)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That commentary was great wasn't it KB? SOmething like - "And into the pitlane... OAAAAGGGHHHHH! My Goodness! David Coulathard smashers hismelf out of the Australi....I Have NEVER seen that before!"

Ben Edwards at Michigan was superb - really captured the exictement of a fantastic duel.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1015884)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Of course a few laps later Roberto Moreno did it even better - came into the pits, spun the car and banged into the same spot as DC but backwards.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1015897)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Ben Edwards commentary was just superb wasnt it !..
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1015933)   #17
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray's noise is brilliant on that crash. You can get it here too - http://www.f1rejects.com/hall/whoops/coulthard.wav
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1015945)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Brilliant!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1016060)   #19
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As was Murray's commentary of Damon Hill's championship winning race -

I'm going to have to stop now because I've got a lump in my throat.

Now THAT displayed Murray's bias! [/B]
I would have to agree with this, i agreed with Murray and was crying with happiness!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1016105)   #20
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by frostblade
Murray's noise is brilliant on that crash. You can get it here too - http://www.f1rejects.com/hall/whoops/coulthard.wav
That brought back some memories.

But I have to agree with the Damon moment for sheer emotion in a commentary.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1016140)   #21
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnVine

I can remember this one like it was yesterday.......Fantastic race finished off by perfect commentary....Cheers JohnVine.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1016158)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
link for the Montoya / Andretti lap?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1016197)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two favourites for me......

Spa 1998.....I watched this again last Saturday and it is still so exciting, enhanced greatly by the perfect commentary.

And another of my favourites is Brazil 2003. The biggest James Allen blunderfest ever. At the time I tore my hair out listening to it but when I watch it nowadays I laugh myself silly! Bloody brilliant!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1016250)   #24
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Best Race Commentary Ever ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san

Yesterday , ( i had a bit of time on my hands )......
so i decided to dig out and watch and old race tape ive got of French GP 1983 from Paul Ricard .

What absolute fantastic commentry from James Hunt and Murray Walker ! ..Well , more James Hunt infact .

Niki Lauda and Elio de Angelis were having a right ding dong battle on the track ...and James Hunt ( obvioulsy a good friend of Lauda ) was showing his support for the Austrian with crys of " go on Niki " and " yes " everytime Lauda tried to take a lunge up the inside of De Angelis .

You could tell Hunt was really enjoying this race in a big way , and his enthusiam carried across in the commentary which really added to the excitement of the race .

Although James Hunt was being very biased in his commentary as he wanted Lauda to beat De Angelis , it made the race so much more exciting simply as he was getting passionate about it .

what was the best Commentary race you can remember or have watched recently ?

You had a video recorder in 1983? You posh not only could afford the latest technology but you must have had an extra room to store the massive thing.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1016253)   #25
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
And another of my favourites is Brazil 2003.

Same here, but I watched that race on RTE. Peter Collins was hilarious when it was stopped - JORDAN HAVE WON THE BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Yoong Montoya; 25 Jun 2004 at 20:26.