Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What makes a touring car series the best in the world
Potential for close racing ie top 20 qualifiers within a second 20 41.67%
Different manufacturers ie more than 2 27 56.25%
Impact on other motorsports in the region 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Jul 2004, 05:59 (Ref:1037819)   #1
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What makes a touring car series the best in the world

I'm interested to know you people think -
What makes a touring car series the best in the world
is it the potential for close racing ie Top 20 Qualifiers within a second,
different manufacturers ie more than 2 or
their impact on other motorsports in the region ?

It seems to me as a motorsport fan that the best is the 1 that has the potential for close racing
but then more manufacturers would be nice
but then more manufacturers would have a negative impact on other motorsports categories

Is that a fair statement ?
Old 16 Jul 2004, 07:31 (Ref:1037856)   #2
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of the 2 make (Holden & Ford)idea, mainly because that to me is the Aussie version.
As far as a the rest of the world, both options 1 & 2 would be good with all makes making up a world series but then you have the problem with option 1, how could you get the top 20 within a second with so many different manufacturers. Just my thoughts.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1037860)   #3
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think identification of the product must rate somewhere up there - our home grown V8 supercars are ok for us because we know what they are meant to represent , however those from other parts of the world would likely consider them a NASCAR or similar as they most probably will never have heard of a Falcon or Commodore . BMW - Alfa - Renault etc are brands recognised world wide .
Old 16 Jul 2004, 09:02 (Ref:1037926)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
different cars with different strenghts . who cares if 20 or even 40cars are within a second if no one passes because mmmmmmmmmm both the cars are to equal = dumb
Old 16 Jul 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1037945)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good racing, good race formats, different vehicles, consumer interest, good organisation committee (no arrogant idiots), fan friendly. I think that would some up a best touring car championship
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1037983)   #6
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm voting for diversity. 4s, 6s, V8s, V12s, rotaries(boo hiss!), the old group C then group A had them all.
Different cars with different strengths, so none of that "freight train" that you get now.
Don't get me wrong, I love my V8s, but it's not the same without the different classes as well.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1038031)   #7
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Well thats nice I post a poll and someone else changes it, in the words of a former pollie "PLEASE EXPLAIN".
If I wanted other options I would have used them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1038034)   #8
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Thank you
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1038035)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is great to see all the cars qualify within a second- but there must be a performance gap somewhere to allow some passing and race action.
more than 2 manufacturers is not a real issue, as Cup type series and V8 supercars show that one make or 2, really doesn't dim the show, could make it better, as it is more of a racedriving clinic and racer battle.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1038136)   #10
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not having TC involved

Close racing not close qualifying...the BS stops once the green flag drops
Old 16 Jul 2004, 23:45 (Ref:1038694)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: What makes a touring car series the best in the world

Quote:
Originally posted by mixxer
but then more manufacturers would have a negative impact on other motorsports categories

Is that a fair statement ?
I'm not sure that more manufactures would have such a negative impact on other motorsports categories.... for example, involvment in F1 doesn't stop Mercedes racing in DTM, the BMW-Williams F1 program doesn't stop them from racing in ETCC (soon WTCC) and VW-Audi race in Le Mans, ALMS, plus DTM etc. Ferrari focus on F1, but farm out their FIA-GT, ACO-GTS, N-GT programs to third parties.

Prefer to see more than two makes of cars... would be even better if there were different types of cars, rather than clones. Close racing/times are good, but passing is even better.

I guess my favourite era was the Group A days before the turbos and the homologation specials took over. The old Group C rules also produced some great racing.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 02:17 (Ref:1038751)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a Touring Car series to be considered the best they would have to be proper Touring Cars for starters........

A formula which allows the maximum number of manufacturers possible to enter, allowing a variety mechanical equipment, and the race cars must be closely related to their road-going counterparts.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 03:53 (Ref:1038774)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing that strikes me most about the current local touring car climate is that the two manufacturer situation makes parity simple, and from a fan base you are either one or the other....or the odd and rare fence-sitter.

To add to that now would really detract from the nice little soap opera of V8 Supercars, but would also throw the parity and equality issue into complete and utter disarray.
What people often fail to realise is that when it comes to motorsport, previous eras have often been previous errors!

The key issue with Supercars is that it has been sustainable now in Australia for a decade....better than most I would think, although my youth prevents my expert, or indeed any, opinion.

What Tony Cochrane proposes for the future direction of V8 Supercars is completely sustainable if the proposed changes for cost cutting go ahead. What everyone forgets is that Konica was set up for three reasons:
1) To develop/test future V8 Supercar drivers
2) To provide a market for "older" Supercars, thus providing a market for teams to dispose of their cars too, rather than the bin, museum, or armed fortress
3) To provide a championship that could develop into a domestic replacement as V8 Supercars grew outside of Australia.

Now that I have hurt some of you, may I apologise for stating the facts.
Before you ask, I am not Tony Cochrane, but maybe I share in his vision.

Ask Guy Houghton what it would do to Betta Electrical if they secured 2% of the Chinese market or Craig Gore what 2% of the Malaysian home loan market would be worth to WPS?
Their answers will be evidence enough! If WPS can do $600 million in NSW from one office, imagine what a rollout would be worth in the Asia Pacific Basin?

Those of vision will embrace the development of both series: The V8 Supercars into a more international championship and the Konica Minolta Series into a more national championship.

Unsustainable? It would be hard to see how it couldn't be really, as it is all being managed in an incremental method, rather than blitzed out in 2 years or anything daft.

My words and ideas might come back and bite me on the bum, but if they don't, then all that will likely be achieved is a new crop of tall poppies will need to be "harvested".
Old 17 Jul 2004, 04:28 (Ref:1038784)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
The thing that strikes me most about the current local touring car climate is that the two manufacturer situation makes parity simple, and from a fan base you are either one or the other....or the odd and rare fence-sitter.
Oy! Who are you calling odd????
Old 17 Jul 2004, 04:42 (Ref:1038787)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See, I didn't exclude you, GTR. How kind is that?

Now take the paper bag off your head!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1039360)   #16
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
something world wide like gtp would be an unreal touring car championship.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1041281)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT Performance is already Australia's Premier Touring Car Championship, the world next
Old 22 Jul 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1043006)   #18
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
GT Performance is already Australia's Premier Touring Car Championship, the world next
Yes they are, and provide close racing with all different makes of cars, just not two like in the the taxis
Old 26 Jul 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1047315)   #19
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Flame suit on

Thats the problem with the majority of Procar supporters, they forget that GTP is Production Car racing not Touring Cars which then also explains why they are not allowed to award a touring car championship.

I was referring to the acknowledged Touring Cars series around the world
Old 26 Jul 2004, 06:19 (Ref:1047328)   #20
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mixxer
Flame suit on

Thats the problem with the majority of Procar supporters, they forget that GTP is Production Car racing not Touring Cars which then also explains why they are not allowed to award a touring car championship.

I was referring to the acknowledged Touring Cars series around the world
No need for the flame-proof suit, but I would like to find out just where you found a definition of "touring car" which excludes production cars?

In my book, GTP cars are far far more logical examples of "touring cars" than V8 supercars, DTMs etc.

You clearly have little sense of history.. the great majority of "Australian Touring Cars" have been >>production<< cars with modifications, NOT custom-built race cars with imitation production skins.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 06:26 (Ref:1047334)   #21
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Bigguy Im not intersted in debating the merits of Procar vs Touring Cars nor am I interested in what happened last year let alone previous years. I am only talking about Touring Cars today if you cant live with that then just use your mouse to jump over this thread
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1047564)   #22
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong, if I was offered a drive in V8s I'd take it in a flash, but lets be serious, I'm 45 and not rich so it's never going to happen, but I prefer to see variety in racing. The fast taxi racing we have with these Australian Nascars at the moment bores me to tears. How many racing drivers that were around 15 years ago genuinely believe that Cochrane's "vision" is good for motorsport as a whole? Ever tried to get a sponsorship deal or TV coverage with less than 8 cylinders in your car?

I obviously like my BMWs but also like to see the characteristic differences between smaller cars with less top speed but better braking and handling racing the V8s with longer braking distances and slower cornering speeds, brilliant.

I also think we're building race tracks to suit V8 speed rather than racing. If it doesn't have a 1 kilometre plus straight now it's deemed a "micky mouse" circuit. Look at the great racing that tracks like Lakeside and Oran Park produced over the years in all categories.

I think by now you've figured out where my vote went, with at this stage the majority.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1047583)   #23
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Well put David thats the sort of input I was looking for

Last edited by mixxer; 26 Jul 2004 at 11:02.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1047633)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

Not to add fuel to a fire, but GTP does seem to have alot of the things mentioned in many posts, that constitute a great touring car championship.
Variety to the max and from what I believe the public views the series as Touring Cars, real touring cars
Old 26 Jul 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1047730)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Procar website when referring to GT-Performance they seem to use the term PROCAR Touring Cars quite abit.