Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1043586)   #1
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheer Up, it can't be that bad

What people seem to forget, and this applies to several of the posts on here at the moment, is we are all volunteers of one kind or another, whether you be a C-o-C or a trainee marshal, timekeeper, scruitineer ect. And in any given circumstance, as a volunteer, as long as you can say you did the job to the best of your ability, safely then thats all that matters. There are times when things don't go right or there isn't exactly the right amount of people avialable, we just have to do our best and get on with it, because if we dont't do it sooner or later someone else will. So come guys lighten up and start enjoying the sport again, because as Sir Jack Brabham said "when the flag drops the bulls**t stops"
Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1043624)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Garry.
BTW I thought that it was Frank Gardner who said it first.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1043749)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What people seem to forget, and this applies to several of the posts on here at the moment, is we are all volunteers of one kind or another, whether you be a C-o-C or a trainee marshal, timekeeper, scruitineer ect .
sorry Gary, but you've included certain paid personnel!!

Quote:
And in any given circumstance, as a volunteer, as long as you can say you did the job to the best of your ability, safely then thats all that matters.
all depends on your version of "safely". Was the venue and organisation safe?........ or just you?????

Quote:
There are times when things don't go right or there isn't exactly the right amount of people avialable, we just have to do our best and get on with it, because if we dont't do it sooner or later someone else will
That's the real problem!!!! There ISN'T anyone else to do it!

Quote:
So come guys lighten up and start enjoying the sport again, because as Sir Jack Brabham said "when the flag drops the bulls**t stops"
that all depends on the venue.......... because sometimes "when-the-flag-drops" is when the brown stuff starts!!

And that is why, IMHO, so many experienced marshals/officials are deciding not to attend in the numbers or with the committment that they used to.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:16 (Ref:1044255)   #4
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garry - agree with your sentiments entirely!!! Sometimes it is very frustrating but at the end of the day (and I hate that phrase) we are there as volunteers to have some fun. ##it happens and we all get on with it in every day life so lets laugh about it and carry on!!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1044275)   #5
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I was trying to say was some of the threads are getting extreemly negative, and as pointed out on another thread are putting some marhsls off from attending. Yes ther are problems, Yes we are short of numbers - but we just need to cope as best we can, we have no choice.

"That's the real problem!!!! There ISN'T anyone else to do it!"

Well sooner or later someone else may do it, don't forget most circuits run for the other 5 days of the week without us so why should weekends be any different!

"when-the-flag-drops" is when the brown stuff starts!!" - Ok it depends on the meeting, but usually once the action starts, most of the problems are forgotten if the racings good!

Some officals are paid volunteers yes, but very few make a living from this game.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1044350)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Holmes
Some officals are paid volunteers yes, but very few make a living from this game.
For what it's worth.....

Timekeepers, Scrutineers and Environmental Scrutineers (Not Trainees) get "Expenses" paid - the rough amount is given in the Blue Book!

Clerks, Scrutineers, Environmental Scrutineers and possibly others actaully have to pay for their licences (Or their Club do)

Clerks, on average have to cough up £75 per year for the privilige and Scrutes roughly £23 per year.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1044426)   #7
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garry I agree with you entirely. A lot of negative thoughts about the Grand Prix, shortages for the local clubbie or about the organising club and marshsling in general.

You get out of it what you put into it. I went to the Grand Prix for the first time this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be going back if Uncle Bernie permits it to be run. I will always attend the local club meetings regardless of what is on as it may not look good on paper but could end up being a right corker. You can always find fault with a club of any description but they are putting on an event for the drivers and marshals to attend. Without the clubs there would be no racing. Without the racing there would be no hobby and I do not relish doing DIY just to keep busy or gardening or many other chores that my wife could find. I go marshaling see the many friends I have made, enjoy the racing and to get away from the stress of my normal job.

The day I stop enjoying myself out on the bank will be the day I stop marshaling.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1044962)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The day I stop enjoying myself out on the bank will be the day I stop marshaling.
Does anyone know where we can get the t'shirt with this logo??

My last post may have seem negative (and on second reading it certainly seems so) but was not meant to be, just realistic. No offence meant to anyone.

IMHO, Motorsport is like a 3 legged stool.......!!!!! :confused:

ANY event needs...;

Organising Club;
Competitors;
Marshals/Volunteers/Officials.......

if ANY of the 3 are missing....................

the event falls over!!!!! ie: does NOT happen.

WE, as motorsport enthusiasts, need each other.....

Drivers need venues...(can't do it on the public roads)
Clubs need Members and Volunteers
Marshals need Drivers... (we look pretty silly standing alongside an empty track!!)

We all do it for the same reason, we LOVE Motorsport so why do so many of us (me included at times ) take so much time to berate the sport instead of asking how we can help it???

I'm not for one second suggesting that we all spend all our free time to help motorsport........ but for every negative thought there must be a positive thought. ie;....

"If 'they' only did this or that then I'd attend more.......
rather than....... "well they don't do this so I won't attend".

Maybe "They" don't know about your gripe, maybe it's impossible to achieve, or maybe......??? who knows?
but if we (the Motorsport Enthusiasts) don't let the powers-that-be know, in a reasoned way, then maybe things will never change.

To paraphrase a famous quote......

"Think not what Motorsport can do for you, rather what you can do for Motorsport".

so, to echo Gary's thoughts, as I read them,....

Do your best....
Stay safe....
Enjoy your hobby....

but......, if it all seems to go wrong......

please don't just post nasty words, try asking the correct person to see if they might be able to change things.

After all,
The PAID people want it to carry-on as it pays their mortgage....
Us volunteers (or remunerated officials) want to continue our hobby.

There just HAS to be a way to satisfy us all.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1045106)   #9
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to agree with all the above however and not wanting to appear negative but in the vein of 'theres always someone else' and Garry's comment 'they manage without us 5 days a week' now please correct me if i'm wrong (and its NOT unknown!) but during the week circuits run with one per post? weekends this is significantly short of 'blue book' requirements, so forgetting the gripes, lets start pulling together to make sure we enjoy oursleves! lets face it thats why we go 'cos we love the sport
Old 25 Jul 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1047024)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
"If 'they' only did this or that then I'd attend more.......
That's a huge "Hear, hear!" from me.

I also do it because I love it.

This year I've tried to concentrate more on the events that give me the greatest satisfaction. The result of some of the things that annoy me has not been to reduce my marshalling, but to relocate it.

The positives still hugely outweigh the negatives, so the'if you don't like it, walk away' message doesn't wash with me.

What I'd like is for things to improve so that I don't avoid events or circuits I like because of the the things I don't like, which is what I'm doing at the moment.

What I'd like most is for the MSA to get a grip on seriously reducing the number of meetings/championships so that we're not spread so thinly. This is partly a social hobby, and being on your own on post for 10 hours without breaks does not a good social event make!

So no, it's not as bad as all that, but that's because I'm being choosy and not going where it is that bad. It's called voting with your feet...
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1047062)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
It's called voting with your feet...
both of which are left which is why you flag!!!!!

But Woolley's comments are correct....
this should be fun (and we take it seriously), but....

WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT!!!!

The Driver's do......(enjoy it) 'I think'
The Officials do......(I think)....
The Spectators do ......(I hope)

so us Marshals should aswell!!!!

I know we're there for safety reasons, and we accept that but.....
there should be some element of fun/enjoyment there aswell if we are to attract any new marshals.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1052695)   #12
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The obvious thing is to vote with your feet. Some clubs are excellent at organising a good, controlled timetable, and others couldn't organise something that had been organised for them.

What I did, was to not renew my membership with those clubs. As a member of the BMRMC (As it was then) all I did was fill in my green slips. Even as a non club member, I got sent the volenteering forms.

If clubs are losing income, they will look at why.

I also voted with my feet, and if I knew that a particular meeting was likely to be difficult to complete on time, I would go and play elsewhere.

I suppose I am lucky living where I do, as I am nice and central and used to get to at least 8 circuits a year, so it wasn't so hard.

If you don't like it, or course, you can speak to the senior officials. If you don't like what they say, chose another club/circuit.

It is, after all, a hobby. How many of you are forced at gunpoint to take part? Not many, I think.

Andrew
Old 31 Jul 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1052855)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, that about sums me up this season too. It's been interesting seeing how many of the meetings I would normally have gone to have been appealing for marshals. Maybe they're starting to notice, although I suspect they're all branding us unreliable and looking at other ways of doing things. Anything other than sorting out the real problems...
Old 2 Aug 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1054246)   #14
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I've drastically cut back the amount of Circuit racing I've done this year in favour of Speed Hillclimb. Has anybody from a circuit phoned me up or shown any interest why?

Have they !

Message received and understood. If i'm not wanted, I'm not there!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1054411)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Know how you feel. It's not that I feel unwanted, I'm more surprised that places I was a regular at don't seem bothered that I haven't been this year, unless they read this forum and worked it out!

One thing I have learned this week-end at Rockingham, I don't want to go back to spectating instead! Can't do it properly anymore. I was anticipating the radio calls, counting down the pace car laps, correcting the spectators assertions. And the shock when I suddenly realized I couldn't just wander down the pit lane or through the garages! However irritating some of the worst bits of marshalling are, they're nothing to the frustration of not being out there.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1054861)   #16
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu

Drivers need venues...(can't do it on the public roads)
Clubs need Members and Volunteers
Marshals need Drivers... (we look pretty silly standing alongside an empty track!!)
Drivers need Marshals too, otherwise we can't play.

Thanks for been there guys. You are appreciated!!!