Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Jul 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1046988)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Racesafe

Having just spent three days marshalling in the pit lane at the Bike GP I just have to say thanks to Racesafe for allowing me to do so at short notice.

I asked if I could observe how their pit lane operates as opposed to my "normal" car one and they welcomed me with open arms.

A great crowd of people, they made me feel part of their team very quickly. The jobs I did were totally different to my usual ones but the team supported and advised me and soon I felt quite at home with two wheels and not four surrounding me (and sometimes aiming at me).

I had a brilliant three days and saw some cracking racing. May I suggest that if you have never marshalled a bike meeting you give it a try - its great fun!

Once again, thanks Racesafe - hope to see you all again some time.

Sheila
Old 25 Jul 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1046995)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PS If any of the Racesafe pit marshals read this please give Bob my regards and tell him I hope he's soon feeling better.

Sheila
x
Old 25 Jul 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1047018)   #3
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we marshalled at BSBK MALLORY last week for racesafe, we are normally car marshalls but decided to have a look, looked after very well went on bank as usuall and rotated duties all weekend really good, definetly going to try a few more. perhaps this is the way to go every one gets a go at a lot of duties, and your looked after.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1047022)   #4
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you have to join racesafe to do these events
Old 25 Jul 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1047026)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by woody61uk
do you have to join racesafe to do these events
I didn't. But there again I was just "observing" their pit lane.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 07:13 (Ref:1047357)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Think u have to join if you're going to be doing things regularly - but at a fiver for a lifetime membership, that's not really a hardship!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:26 (Ref:1047470)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Think u have to join if you're going to be doing things regularly - but at a fiver for a lifetime membership, that's not really a hardship!
Just to set the record straight the membership fee is currently a one off payment of £25.00.

Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1047485)   #8
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£25 very reasonable, pay to do a volunteers job!!!, bargin.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1047818)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I must have got in when it was cheap then!

sss - all marshals clubs charge fees - the difference is that Racesafe only charge once, not every year like everyone else.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1048030)   #10
Mike Cochrane
Rookie

Mike Cochrane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
I must have got in when it was cheap then!

sss - all marshals clubs charge fees - the difference is that Racesafe only charge once, not every year like everyone else.
It was £10 when I joined about 7 years ago, I think it went up the following year (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) & became the one off payment, however,as suggested, over the same number of years I've spent a lot more renewing my BMMC (BMRMC)membership, & buying overalls & waterproofs which is something else you don't have to do with Racesafe as they are supplied.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1048126)   #11
telfire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Winchester hants
telfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshalled with Racesafe at Thruxton BSB at Easter last year. NEVER AGAIN. Arrogant and Ignorant from the top down. My home track and made to feel unwelcome. E-mailed the chief marshal who did not give a dam. Not keen on bikes and will NEVER marshal a bike event again.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1048131)   #12
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Cochrane
It was £10 when I joined about 7 years ago, I think it went up the following year (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) & became the one off payment, however,as suggested, over the same number of years I've spent a lot more renewing my BMMC (BMRMC)membership, & buying overalls & waterproofs which is something else you don't have to do with Racesafe as they are supplied.
The fee went up to £25.00 earlier this year, 2004, and it is a one off payment and I've also been supplied with overalls including the ones that faded badly and had to be replaced almost immediately.

Old 26 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1048275)   #13
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Telfire, I fully believe you, but it has happened to me at car meets and is not a pleasant experience. I just put it down to that post and not the club.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1049259)   #14
telfire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Winchester hants
telfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deebrief. From the moment we signed on it was made clear we were not wanted. On the second day we even had to fight to get a packed lunch, that everyone else had no problems getting. The C of Course, who was a paid offical of the organisation, was very high handed and contravined all radio protacols. I always welcome marshals from other clubs or types of racing to 'my' circuit. The ideal is we all are working to the same aim. Again I will never marshal at one of their meetings again.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1049266)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by telfire
Deebrief. From the moment we signed on it was made clear we were not wanted. On the second day we even had to fight to get a packed lunch, that everyone else had no problems getting. The C of Course, who was a paid offical of the organisation, was very high handed and contravined all radio protacols. I always welcome marshals from other clubs or types of racing to 'my' circuit. The ideal is we all are working to the same aim. Again I will never marshal at one of their meetings again.
Blimey telfire, your experience was totally the opposite of mine. I couldn't have been made more welcome if they'd tried. As for the packed lunch, I was repeatedly asked by various members of the team and the Chief Marshal if I'd picked mine up. The rapport between the rest of the team and me felt almost instant and I was even given a set of white overalls for the weekend.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1053568)   #16
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WE STARTED AT THRUXTON LAST YEAR DOING BIKES AS A CAR MARSHALL THIS YEAR WE JOINED RACESAFE,FOR £20 LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP, WE DID A TRAINING DAY WITH RACESAFE VERY GOOD, NOW WE HAVE DONE A FEW MEETINGS THIS YEAR AND REALLY ENJOY IT, YES WE STILL LOVE CARS AND DO BOTH, VERY PACKED WEEKENDS JUST ABOUT FIT IT ALL IN, BUT WE LOVE IT, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD JUST TRY IT ONCE MORE; WE,VE HAD BAD CAR WEEKENDS BUT IT CANT BE PERFECT ALL THE TIME; AND IT BEATS PAYING FOR THE TICKETS. WE DID THRUXTON PERHAPS YOU HAD A BAD POST, BUT THAY DO GIVE YOU THE CHOICE TO SWAP POST EACH DAY.