Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1058001)   #1
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP exhaust positions

Time for another techie question.

I have just looked at some more pics of the new luchini LMP2 car (over on DSC), taken at their first serious test with the car. I've noticed that it routes it's exhaust in an F1 style, out the top of the bodywork.

Now as I understand it, the F1 guys do this to reduce downforce sensitivity due to throttle position, as when the exhausts were running over/through the diffuser, the amount of generated downforce, whilst ultimately quite large, would vary with throttle position and the amount of exhaust gas flowing through.
This got me thinking on the various solutions to exhaust routing that seems to be taken by different LMP teams.

I have noticed that lots of LMP's still run there exhaust over the top of the diffuser, whilst some run them in other positions, like the Lister (into the channel in the rear wheel arch), and Courage (side exit in front of the rear wheel, at least with the Pug engine).

I'm just wondering whatr are the benifits/negatives of running such each different type.

Regards
Ed
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1058116)   #2
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
There doesn't seem to be much to gain by exhaust placement. One suggestion regarding the Lucchini's placement is that the heat from the exhaust can play havoc on component reliability and removing its influence on the rear end of the car can hopefully reduce that. That is one of the primary reasons this is done in F1: you avoid the intricate exhaust pipe that has to then be routed delicately through the car, the heat from the exhaust then can't influence component relibility, and you can also waist the car in tighter at the rear.