Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Aug 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1059934)   #1
spa-eau rouge
Racer

spa-eau rouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forum facts,,check before commit to!!!!

i have just had to correct miss information on [where are they now] subject ,please think hard and fast before you make a statement .it may be incorrect, there are still alot of people out there that really know what went on in the era.. journo's please take not of this ,you donot know everything, you may think you do...
Old 8 Aug 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1059938)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But spreading mistruths and having others correct them is what makes forums so interesting.

If you don't believe me, GTR will back me up
Old 8 Aug 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1059955)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah, change the wording to make it sound like supposition and recollection and all shall be sweet

Spa-eau rouge has a point though, it is annoying when people get their facts wrong, or indeed take selective facts to draw inferences & conclusions that dont seem to fit with everyone else's recollections.....

... but JDI hit it on the head.... these are internet forums, not putting the hand on the bible and swearing on your firstborn's head that all is true and correct....
Old 8 Aug 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1059973)   #4
spa-eau rouge
Racer

the other problem we have is that the supposition,recollection and selective facts are being used to create myths galore that are distorting the true facts.. i do agree with your reply in some respects though...
Old 8 Aug 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1059977)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the compliment, GTR...appreciated! The only question is, mate, whoever said it was your first born??
Old 8 Aug 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1060118)   #6
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: forum facts,,check before commit to!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by spa-eau rouge
i have just had to correct miss information on [where are they now] subject ,please think hard and fast before you make a statement .it may be incorrect, there are still alot of people out there that really know what went on in the era.. journo's please take not of this ,you donot know everything, you may think you do...
I have just looked at the thread where you say you had to correct miss information and I am buggered if I can see where you corrected anything. I can see where you told someone they were wrong but I can't see a correction.

Now I don't know what to believe.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1060125)   #7
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Not me Stanley, believe me.'

'What do you mean?'

'I mean everything I've ever told you is a lie - including that.'

'Including what?'

'That everything I've ever told you is a lie. It's not true.'

- 'Bedazzled', 1969 (I think). Directed by Stanley Donen, starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1060133)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aarrgh8
'Not me Stanley, believe me.'

'What do you mean?'

'I mean everything I've ever told you is a lie - including that.'

'Including what?'

'That everything I've ever told you is a lie. It's not true.'

- 'Bedazzled', 1969 (I think). Directed by Stanley Donen, starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.
2 of the funniest people on the planet and a good movie as well

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 8 Aug 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1060178)   #9
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Its not being aware of how much you know, but being aware of how much you don't know. Personally I'm not even aware of how much I don't know.

All I can suggest is to clearly define opinions and knowledge.

But memory cheats too, and what you think you knew once upon a time fades through the years and suddenly what you recall is no longer accurate.

And thats hardly exclusive to the internet.

So what do you do, hold back on something because you 'might' be wrong? If you don't know your wrong and never say anything then you'll never be corrected and that incorrect knowledge is then perpetuated.

Spa-Eau-Rouge: I guess I'm wanting to know that if you really don't want to inform people they are wrong when they honestly believe you are right and you find it such a chore, why are you on an internet fora in the first place? I don't mean to sound overtly critical as the point is driven by curiosity, not smart-alecness, but your post comes across rather vehemently.

Last edited by Falcadore; 8 Aug 2004 at 15:54.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1060538)   #10
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Look at you. If you even knew that you knew nothing, then that would be something, but you don't."
Point Break (paraphrased)

Spa, we all make mistakes. Even me. Yes, really, even I. My favourite was that Denny Hulme never won a world F1 title. That was a good one.

One I didn't make publicly, but when the Brock to HRT thread started I almost wrote 'cold day in hell before Brock is back there'. Then I thought about it - then I forgot about it. Narrow escape that one.

Excuse me, have I mentioned the words I, me, myself enough in this post.

As for the rest of it, well, a lot of us think we know a lot more than we do. Most times we 'know' something because we spoke to a guy who knows a guy who is friends with someone either in the team, or the driver.

I'll bet there's very little first-hand info in most of these 'I know' posts.

But that's part of what makes them interesting, and doesn't necessarily make them wrong.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 02:21 (Ref:1060609)   #11
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just take everything you read here as rumour, not the gospel truth.
Memories also have a habit of changing over the years, I guess that's what makes us human.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 03:43 (Ref:1060635)   #12
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
but JDI hit it on the head.... these are internet forums, not putting the hand on the bible and swearing on your firstborn's head that all is true and correct....
Yeah, hence old old saying, "I read it on the internet. So it must be true...."
Old 9 Aug 2004, 04:12 (Ref:1060646)   #13
spa-eau rouge
Racer

there is only one other thing about internet forums like this one ,myths and misinformation are being grabed hold of by owners and followers of some historic cars for finacial gain of which is totally incorrect of what really happened....
Old 9 Aug 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1060685)   #14
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone who would base a financial purchase based solely on what they read on an internet forum would be rather silly.

Even if what's written on here is incorrect, some basic research looking for corroboration should highlight that.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1060693)   #15
spa-eau rouge
Racer

there are some very silly people and owners out there & lot of these owners base there knowledge & car history on the info they get off the internet, very silly people feeding the sharks!!!!!! , & the eligibility officers belive this info!!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1060699)   #16
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
It would be more helpful to post a friendly correction to set the record straight, if you have the information, rather than complain about people posting information that they believe to be correct.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:08 (Ref:1060707)   #17
spa-eau rouge
Racer

i'm not complaining, just stating some facts that probably will upset or anoy some indiviuals because there lives revolve around rumors .
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1060913)   #18
V8 Supercars
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
V8 Supercars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been reading through some old threads and found this one which I thought you might be interested to read SER. It was started by someone I know, but who has not been on the forums for a long time now. She pretty well said what I think you are trying to get across now.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=sevi

Last edited by V8 Supercars; 9 Aug 2004 at 11:31.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1061516)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i'm not complaining, just stating some facts that probably will upset or anoy some indiviuals because there lives revolve around rumors .
If their lives revolve around rumours then surely they have to expect a garden path or two, because that is the nature of rumours.

We shouldn't have to put a disclaimer on everything in life should we?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:28 (Ref:1061612)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Realistically, I think most people post information here in good faith. Alternately, a lot of people qualify their comments with 'I heard', 'I believe' or 'I could be mistaken', and they usually aren't too precious when they find out they have made a mistake.

Surely we can't do much about all of that.

On the other hand, spreading malicious gossip or deliberate mis-information is something else again and, if it's found, should be reported to the moderators. With a couple of informed questions the majority of fraudsters could be weeded out.

Last edited by eduardo1; 10 Aug 2004 at 00:29.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 02:45 (Ref:1061656)   #21
spa-eau rouge
Racer

thanking you very much v8supercars, this is precisely what i have been trying to get across to people on this forum, but with no luck. every minute of my working day ,from 1964 till my retirement, mid 2003, my life has been reliant on making a living out of motorsport, and even now i would not do anything to harm this sport or industry. [please have a look at my profile on this forum]
Old 10 Aug 2004, 03:53 (Ref:1061695)   #22
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
there are some very silly people and owners out there & lot of these owners base there knowledge & car history on the info they get off the internet, very silly people feeding the sharks!!!!!! , & the eligibility officers belive this info!!!!!
Is that our fault ? Are we bound by a duty of care to these imbeciles ?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 04:30 (Ref:1061712)   #23
Bomn
Veteran

Australia

Quote:
So where is this correction?

I want to know the "True " story.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 05:04 (Ref:1061722)   #24
spa-eau rouge
Racer

BOMN, go back to the " the good old days" &MORRIS 1100 was corrected on his [repco brabham info ], good enough for you ,the full story may be writen one day ,until then FORUMS like this one will only ever have rumours submited to them ...
Old 10 Aug 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1061932)   #25
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You never corrected me, you did say I was wrong but you never said what I was wrong about.

Didn't you used to be called Pierre?