Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1085033)   #1
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hornish back to Panther?

who has heard this rumour doing the rounds that Hornish is opting out of his Penske contract and wants to return to the #4? someone PLEASE tell me this is just a load of #(%*!!!!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1085038)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First I've heard of it? Where did you hear it?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 2 Sep 2004 at 17:29.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1085044)   #3
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's all the buzz on the Panther forum. people in Indy have been hearing it all over the radio...
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1085051)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah I jest had a read of that thread...I haven't seen it on any websites yet, but if the story is just breaking out...

That would be a bit of a shock. Can't see Sam leaving Penske, even though neither them or Panther have really set the world on fire this year.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1085063)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam said quite recently he's quite happy at Penske and knows the long-term future there is positive.

His problems this year have been a) underpowered engines and b) crashing too often.

I don't see how going to Panther would solve that.

And I suspect Roger's salaries are higher too.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1085070)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he took this decision, I think he'd be letting his herat rule his head, assuming there's been no fall-out at Penske. Penske have the history and pedigree that you know will be able to fight back at some point, and the long-term options for a driver ensconsed in the team in his 20s are always good. Panther were no great shakes before Sam joined, and they're not really anything now - Cheever's team have generally been on top.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1085120)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Has anybody actually asked to be released from a Penske contract before?
None that I can think of.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1085223)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Has anybody actually asked to be released from a Penske contract before?
None that I can think of.
I can't either, macdaddy....

and I find this rumor very hard to believe....

I can't think of another team owner who is more professional and more dedicated to winning than Penske....he spends what it takes and does what it takes to win...including surrounding himself with the best crew people and drivers he can get...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1085240)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
And his history proves that he's not afraid to switch engine manufacturers. How many badges has he run in the last several years? It's obvious that he's in this game to win.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1085255)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
And his history proves that he's not afraid to switch engine manufacturers. How many badges has he run in the last several years? It's obvious that he's in this game to win.
Chevy, Mercedes, Toyota...even Offy, Cosworth, etc, if you want to go really far back...

and he's not afraid to switch chassis, either....he dumped his own cars for the March in the 1980s, and after returning to a new generation of his own cars, dumped them again for Lolas in the mid 1990s....

and I believe that he is the only team owner who has the current regs editions of both chassis for the IRL Series.....

at one time, Foyt had both back in the late 1990s, but I think he's strictly Dallara now...

Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1085300)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure you can totally discount this rumor.

Afterall, Sam did win the championship twice for Panther. He really seemed like a good fit there. As a matter of fact, I still can't get used to him NOT being in that yellow Dallara. The contrast between these two teams has to be very different, and maybe he's just not comfortable at Penske. Maybe the terrible year he's having is due to more than just an underpowered car.

All that said, it would rock the racing world if Sam went back to Panther! Somebody said "drivers don't leave Penske, Penske leaves drivers".

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:21 (Ref:1085402)   #12
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was privy to a conversation at Nazareth about Helio wanting to drive for AGR but nothing about Hornish. It seems that Sam isn't as much fun as Gil was and Tony Kaanan, Dario and Dan are buddys of his. Wouldn't that be a shocker ! I wonder how many years are left on Helios contract?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1085406)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, could you imagine the antics that would go on at AGR with Helio added to that bunch!

I think it would be very shocking if BOTH drivers wanted out of Penske...

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Sep 2004, 02:25 (Ref:1085487)   #14
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what happens to Bryan if Helio goes to AGR? Herta to Penske? That'd be surprising.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:16 (Ref:1085644)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, perhaps we are in for a rather interesting Silly Season in IndyCar as well...
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1085770)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
That's certianly a shocker, about Castroneves wanting to join AGR...

Herta and Carpentier and Penske maybe? Maybe even Scheckter could find a ride there. Here comes the silly season
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1085773)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Here comes the silly season
Perhaps it's time to fire up a designated 2005 IndyCar Silly Season thread..?
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1085789)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I think it's about that time Certianly a lot to talk about already...
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1085857)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Here's another thought - Sam really wants to try has hand at NASCAR. At Panther, that probably won't happen. With Penske on the other hand...
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1085867)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Here's another thought - Sam really wants to try has hand at NASCAR. At Panther, that probably won't happen. With Penske on the other hand...
Only problem with that - at least in regards to 2005 - is that there are no natural openings in Penske's Cup teams for next year - unless Brendan Gaughan in the #77 Kodak Dodge would be in danger of losing his ride, but I haven't read anything about that.

For 2006, however, the #2 Miller Lite Dodge will be vacant since Rusty Wallace will retire at the end of 2005.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1085868)   #21
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Roger could run an extra car for him in selected races, to see if he might be up to taking over the #2 in 2006 - how would Miller feel about it; would they see him as a great well-known name, or an untried gamble?

Personally I think Sam has plenty of time to think about NASCAR. Winning a third title against the current calibre of field should be his first target, and I think it's doable in 2005.

Come to think of it, maybe he's insecure about the road course element of 2005 IRL? His non-oval record in Atlantics was so-so at best - like Rodolfo Lavin he did far better on ovals - and most of his likely title rivals have done full CART seasons?

Last edited by N I Tram; 3 Sep 2004 at 12:41.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1085880)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Hmm, yes - thinking about it Miller and Rusty himself might be two of the biggest obstacles for Hornish, since both Miller and Rusty have indicated they would like to get an established stock car driver to replace him. Miller in particular has apparently mentioned they are not interested in a "development project".

Jamie McMurray is one driver that has been mentioned, but at the same time Rusty has promised that while he would love to see McMurray in the #2 for 2006, he wouldn't be interested in trying to "steal" McMurray away from Ganassi.

Oops, drifting off topic there, but anyhow, guess we'll see how the situation with the #2 Dodge pans out over the next 14-16 months or so.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1085923)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If Helio would go to AGR....

I see Carpentier going to Penske, and

Herta becoming the third driver for Ganassi...they need a set-up guy, and Bryan would be the guy to get....

That's my guess....

Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1085947)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumours are great - but I'd fully expect Penske's drivers next year to be Helio Castroneves and Sam Hornish.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1086133)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but there has been rumors they could expand to 3 cars.