Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1099679)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Best Dogfight Yet To Come :)

I know that I may be dreaming a little, but wih all the rumors going around, the future entry lists for Le Mans look to be getting very good.

Jaguar- They say they are quiting F1 and moving on. Possiably Le Mans? Who knows, but it sure would be awsome for Jag to return the the big 24 hours!

Porsche- Said that they, too, are lookng at a Le Mans program after canning the LMP 2000 project. Jag vs Porsche again? Great!

Audi- Building or have already built the R9 for 2006. Open or closed? Haven't released any info on R9 yet, but probably have the R9s now. Jag vs Porsche vs Audi?

Mazda- Built a 2003 LMP 900 for 2003 LM and stopped the project cause of the new 2004 and beyond rule changes. Have said they are looking into the P2 class though. Jag vs Porsche vs Audi vs Mazda??

BMW- They too will follow Jag if the 2.8L V8 are used in F1 and could look int Le Mans again? I wish they would come back wit a GTP version of the LMR V12 with a V12 in it again!! Jag vs Porsche vs Audi vs Mazda vs BMW???

Nissan- They have said that the ACO meet and discussed the future of a Nissan return. Nissan sated that if Mazda goes, they will go?

All this equals Jaguar vs Porsche vs Audi vs Mazda vs BMW vs Nissan

Far fetch, but would be bad ass!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1099739)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was my understanding that the Audi R9 will be an open-cockpit car...

From today's announcement about Jag in F-1 and Ford in WRC, Jaguar is not going to go sportscar racing....and that announcement may in fact shoot down the Mazda project as well....what a waste of $250 million or more per year over the life of their F-1 journey...

But yes...a lot of this would be great....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1099749)   #3
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
In GTS it would be incredible.
Add Ford and the new Mustang and the days of IMSA would be back.
Where are teams like Group 44 when you need them?

Bob
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1099764)   #4
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Though, one fight we could end up seeing is the Audi R9 vs the furutre Porsche P1. I have come to guess that these two manufacturs are the ones to start a whole new era at Le Mans. Though, would VW let Audi and Porsche race aganist each other, even though they are in the same family?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:18 (Ref:1099826)   #5
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they would. It would help both not hinder...Of course, I want Porsche back so of course I think it would be ok!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:35 (Ref:1099833)   #6
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry but the nissan effort will be in gt with the Z. it's a global car so competing with it makes great marketing sense. LMP2 is a pipe dream. but in non-turbo form the vq engine is very strong. I expect a customer developed engine. but nothing out of the factory.

Why would porsche return? does audi wont to spend huge somes of money to beat it's self? Plus they have lambo in gts. that only leaves lpm2. it would nice to see a fleet of reliabile porsche powered lmp2s. now we may see what this class can do.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 01:11 (Ref:1099869)   #7
RCSKULLY
Rookie

RCSKULLY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Ford ever race the GT in any class at Le Mans? I guess it's wishful thinking but oh well. I know it wouldn't dominate again but anything else in the GT class to bring the fight to all the 911's.

Last edited by RCSKULLY; 18 Sep 2004 at 01:12.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 03:26 (Ref:1099891)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche and Audi are not owned by the same group.

Nissan has no interest in marketing the Z car by racing it. They only have interest in supporting cars that need the marketing. The only way that this happens is purely privateer based. I wouldn't be suprised to the the Infiniti "skyline" GT-R raced though.

Porsche is studying the feasibility to do LMP1, nothing definate.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1099961)   #9
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Right! Altough one might be confused as Ferdinand Piƫch, *former* Chairman of the Executive Board Volkswagen AG, is now a member of the Supervisory Board of Porsche AG. So Porsche is one of the last *independent* luxury car makers in Germany. And a profitable one as well.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1100025)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Piech's links with Porsche are familial - his mother was (I think) Ferry Porsche's sister. His links with VAG were professional. Although Porsche and Audi have cooperated from time to time - remember the Can Am porsches, with "Porsche + Audi" on them? - they are separate entities.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1100050)   #11
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Piech's links with Porsche are familial - his mother was (I think) Ferry Porsche's sister. His links with VAG were professional. Although Porsche and Audi have cooperated from time to time - remember the Can Am porsches, with "Porsche + Audi" on them? - they are separate entities.
You must be right -- there are two Piechs in the Porsche board.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1100098)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nissan has no interest in marketing the Z car by racing it. They only have interest in supporting cars that need the marketing. The only way that this happens is purely privateer based. I wouldn't be suprised to the the Infiniti "skyline" GT-R raced though.
There are rumours there will be a Nissan 350Z Cup in the new "Renault racing weekends" events.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1100591)   #13
TigerII
Rookie

TigerII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Porsche is studying the feasibility to do LMP1, nothing definate.
Outside of Japan maybe. Don't forget the Z is raced in two classes in JGTC. The last BNR series skyline finished up with the title last year (albeit with a VQ30DETT powerplant).
Old 20 Sep 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1101803)   #14
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>> Although Porsche and Audi have cooperated from time to time - remember the Can Am porsches, with "Porsche + Audi" on them?

Not to mention the Porsche 924!

Cheers.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1101815)   #15
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by marcosgt
>> Although Porsche and Audi have cooperated from time to time - remember the Can Am porsches, with "Porsche + Audi" on them?

Not to mention the Porsche 924!

Cheers.
I'm trying to forget that one
Old 20 Sep 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1102023)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
The yellow/black 1973 Porsche 917/30 entered by Penske, see car #6 on Racing Sports Cars
Old 20 Sep 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1102037)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
There are rumours there will be a Nissan 350Z Cup in the new "Renault racing weekends" events.
I should have stated that Nissan North America have no interest in racing the Z. I apologize for the inference outside of North America.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1102099)   #18
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stupid nissan n.a.!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1102124)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The yellow/black 1973 Porsche 917/30 entered by Penske, see car #6 on Racing Sports Cars
Minor correction: yellow and blue. Audi had helped Porsche with the 917/10 as well as the /30 (both developed with Penske).

Here's Jody (Sideways) Scheckter in the 917/10 at the same race:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-10-000.jpg
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1102173)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by nsxr
stupid nissan n.a.!
Well maybe they have plans for a LMP? That would be a good reason to have no interest in racing with the Z.

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Minor correction: yellow and blue.
Very darkkkk blue...
Old 20 Sep 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1102223)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.westove-racing.com/photos/917-10-30.jpg
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1102260)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Well maybe they have plans for a LMP? That would be a good reason to have no interest in racing with the Z.

Specifically I was told that they only have interest in marketing through racing models that need help, or the exposure. (Such as the Altima V-Spec coming out) They also stated that they had no interest in "Halo" marketing, which would suggest that LMP is also out of the question.

I would love for them to be in the ALMS though, and it would certainly cement my next Auto purchase.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1102292)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
http://www.westove-racing.com/photos/917-10-30.jpg
Ok, that's blue

Quote:
Specifically I was told that they only have interest in marketing through racing models that need help, or the exposure. (Such as the Altima V-Spec coming out) They also stated that they had no interest in "Halo" marketing, which would suggest that LMP is also out of the question.